1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link River Of Darkness I: The Man In The Shadows by SurrealDeceptions - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Promios, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Promios

Promios Fourth Year

Title: River of Darkness I: The Man In The Shadows
    Author: SurrealDeceptions
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Romance
    Pairing: Harry!Various
    Summary: Ten year old Harry is pulled off the streets and back into the magical world against his wishes. He soon decides to stay and use fame to his advantage. Dark, Slytherin!Harry, AU, Harry!Various
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3096192/1/
    Suggested Section: The Alternate's

This is only to chapters long, but I like it. This wont be the kind of Slytherin!Harry story with Harry uniting the houses and crap like that.
    I like that he is using the fame to his advantage. It's quite original too.

I know this guy has been banned from DLP, but at least give his fic a chance.

Checked by Minion, Dec. 25, 2012
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

It's okay. It's slightly more original than normal...I like the Weasley bashing, at least. It's not very interesting to me, though. 3/5 for now.

3. CGB

CGB Auror

Interesting start. It seems original enough. I just hope he won't be all friends with Malfoy. Acquaintance is OK, but friend not really.

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

okay, but i won't read anymore simply because the series ship is h/pansy..

5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

really? Thats why I 'am' reading it, Its original.

I read this earlier, and was going to post it if it was continually updated, I figured I wouldn't post a story with just one chapter.

6. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

too short for me to judge, him being with a 19 year-old when he's only 10 is so unbelievable though. so far 2/5.

7. KANE

KANE Groundskeeper

Not bad so far. Much more original than the usual street harry, and his personality is much more fitting than some stories who have him being hardened on the streets, but still an utter pussy when it comes to someone trying to care for him.

The writing style is nothing special, but nothing to complain about. Not many grammar or spelling mistakes and quite long chapters, which is an obvious plus.

The negatives I can see is the possible friendship with malfoy (can't be sure on it yet, we haven't met him), possibility of slash (the author touched on the topic but wasn't very clear on it) and the harry/pansy pairing. The harry/nineteen year old part is random and unrealistic, unless there's something more to it than we've heard.

Recommended for having nothing better to read, 3.5/5

8. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Okay, I just got a question, why do people 'not' like the Harry/Pansy pairing? I wouldn't think that it would be under the bad parts of a story, for it is not over done.

Have I missed something?

9. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

good build up i think, but still too early he hasn't even gone to hogwarts yet.

has some potential so 3/5

and about harry/pansy i think people have read too many stories with the so called "evil slytherins" cliche where pansy is described as a ugly cow.

there have been some good harry/pansy, one i love is White Night, Grey Queen by Jeconais (but then again any ship he writes is good)

10. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I personally don't believe that Pansy is all that ugly. This authors profile points out that Pansy is described as looking like a pug when she was eleven, by two immature boys who are strongly biased against Slytherins, and I happen to agree with him.

The fact that she is attached to Draco would have to be explained in most cases, but this is AU, as long as the romance isn't with Ginny/Hermione/Luna, I am all ears.

11. Bungler

Bungler Guest

There are people who like use little boys, but I too find it a bit unrealistic that a nineteen year old girl would do something like that. But thats my only problem with this story.

I'll wait a little before rating it.

12. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Don't like the whole subplot with the 19 year old girl. Seems like useless potential angst to me, and I really don't like that. Other then that, it's a good start.

13. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I have pmed the author, talking about our concerns, and after giving me a personal, well thought out reply, he said that he would use this in his next author notes,

I personally, believe that this author has really thought about his story. For the seperate private message that I have recieved on the same matter show that he had really thought about this character way before introducing her into the story.. So, I am going to continue reading it, until something is known about this Slash he mentions.

3.5/5

14. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    At first I agreed about the 19-year old issue - but the references to "jail" made things a bit clearer, and now seeing the author's note is a useful piece of information. The HP!Various tag intrigued me at first, and in a way it makes sense that a sexually precocious (though not by his own doing) teen could attract multiple women in Hogwarts. So far, I like the potential, although to be honest, the writing isn't spectacular; the writing of the Weasly's, though, is pretty fun to read.

So far, a 3/5.

-J

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Sounds interesting, but wont read it until it's updated a bit more. Harry/Pansy is original, but it isnt done very well most of the time. Of course, there are ones with the pairing I like.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

New chapter was decent.

I don't think people are going to have to worry about Harry and Malfoy becoming friends, and if you read this chapter, you will know why.

17. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

I liked it. Harry is a real asshole its a nice change from the street kid with morals that manyt writters portray him as. The writting style is good enough and the plot is original. This can be a good fic depending on how the author dose Harry's time at Hogwarts.

4/5

18. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

3/5 but will be subjected to change...depending on future chapters.

19. razz

razz Seventh Year

I quite like this so far. Its definitly got the best characterisation of street!Harry I've ever read. The writing is average, but so far the plot is good enough to over look that.

Recommended - for now.

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Better than what I thought it'd be. I look forward to more of this.