1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A year with Q by Morena Evensong - Star Trek - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by MrINBN, Aug 17, 2006.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Title: A year with Q
    Author: Morena Evensong
    Rating: T or PG13
    Genre: Humor/Sci-fi
    Pairing: None
    Summary: Q loses a bet with his son. Now he must pretend to be a sixth year student at Hogwarts without using any of his powers. How will Hogwarts react to the new student? Will Q survive the year? x-over with Star Trek: TNG and Voyager.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/593979/
    Recommended Library: The Alternates or Humor/Parody

There's not much to say about this fic that the summary hasn't. It's amusing, interesting and most of all, original. It's up to chapter 41 so far, and I'm sure that it's almost finished. It even features q (Q's son) as a Professor. Q goes by the name Quincy Picard and is pretending to be a Slytherin sixth year.

Apart from a few scenes where Q goes back to the future to play a few pranks on Picard, the Star Trek crossover is very minor. Features NO pairings.

2. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I don't like Q that much, but I am a Star Trek fan so I will have to take a look at this. I would rather read about the Borg, or Vulcan instead of Q. Think about all the possibilities, Magic vs. Vulcan logic, and maybe Harry and T'Pol.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not bad so far, some typos and stuff like that, but nothing too great. Also the xover is nice and subtle.

4. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

My big peeve with this story is the Slytherins-are-good-guys-deep-down fangirl ideology... but for the sake of Q humor in the Harry Potter universe I'm perfectly willing to ignore it completely. 3.8/5

5. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

For a Trek x-over, it's not bad. There's a few typos, and I felt a little nauseated at the "American exchange student" line, but beyond that I like it so far. 3.5/5

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I actually made it to Christmas before giving up. The premise of the story isn't too bad, but it's bloody repeditive. Q pranks someone, Harry gets mad and blurts out stuff like a moronic Gryffindor, Q sees his son q in odd robes. Same damn thing OVER AND OVER. There's absolutely no plot or change. It's like 100% filler. It has its moments. 2.5/5

7. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I agree with the above for the most part. I forgot about the fic and am suprised at how much more was added... and were it stopped , urgh!!!

It is an average humor fic. The chistmas chapters were my favorite, if you start reading and find out it is not your thing, skip ahead and read those at least.

the story has a high "change of pace" or "this is a different take on things"
    factor, but that is it's strongest selling point, second is the different view into
    the house of the snake.

8. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Ah. "A Year With Q." This story was one of the stories I had bookmarked once upon a time before my hard drive crashed.

It's not a bad premise but Lord Ravenclaw's post is a pretty accurate description. I'll give Morena Evensong some credit-- the story did make me laugh, but I don't know if it's complete or not. It seems like all the main stuff is done, but there's no obvious end.

3 stars.