1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Reluctant God by threelade - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: The Reluctant God
    Author: threelade
    Genre: General
    Rating: M
    Chapters: 15
    Words: 39,722
    Updated: December 3, 2006
    Published: May 29, 2006

Pairings: HBP pairings (not much romance)
    Suggested category: "General"
    Summary: Just when he thought the adventures were over a case of mistaken identy launches an adventure unlike any he could have imagined. To those who review my thanks. AU
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2963516/1/

Well, this is certainly an unusual post-Voldemort story. Basically, an isolated race of small Gremlin-like creatures get it in their head that Harry is the reincarnation of their God and creator - Salazar Slytherin. And they are determined to track him down and worship him...

Harry's character is basically a super goody two shoes Zen-master, which is fine by me. The super-friends and the slut don't make much of an appearance, which is also great in my book. Malfoy and Snapes are basically Harry's wards/slaves, as a result of their actions as Death Eaters... and only Snape is redeemed.

So, not too many things in this story got on my nerves. Harry's overly kind and goody-good attitude could be one of the peeves. Redeemed Snape, the other. Ginny's few lines didn't factor much, but the story could have gove without them. Slow development of the plot can be both good and bad, so I'll hold my oppinion on that.

All in all, this has a chance to develop into a fairly good post-HBP story. Whether it'll succeed will depend on how pussy-like Harry's conduct become once he finally get cornered by his new army of worshipers.

So far, 4/5.

Checked by Minion, March 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That sounds mighty scary. And I'm not talking about the Gremlin's either.

3. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

It's always the same problem with those types of stories with Super!Harry - he never uses his powers to kick some ass.. :(

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Not too bad so far.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Wow. This fic is just so completely odd and surreal. Not really sure exactly the point of it all. I mean are we just going to finally unite Harry and his peculiar army of mutant house elf things? And then what... It's an interesting post-Voldemort fic and I like the characters. Perhaps pushing Harry's superness excessively, and the auror's fear of roller coasters a bit much, but not horribly. Whiny petulant Draco seems spot on, and this sort of redeemed!Snape isn't bad. Not too friendly or dad-like (the meanest thing you can do to Snape). Although considering the comments in this thread the Ginny-love seemed out of place and pretty wretched. Wrapping arms around her neck for a long kiss, Ginny giggling, flirting about detentions when he's a teacher next year, a ring because they're engaged, Ginny's face going red while he pulls her closer for another kiss. All the while Draco's inner monologue lusting for 'his' Ginny and certain that Harry's gay?

Consider that warning flag flaring in my mind. But it was just sort of an odd, out of place, short section that felt more added in than anything relevant to the plot. Just feels like Malfoy's going to do something to come between the twue wuv of Ginny and Harry. And then in the process learn a lesson about his new master and boss. I'm not sure my interest in this completely surreal fic could survive something like that.

But otherwise this is just plain weird but has me very intrigued.

4/5 rating for now.

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Anyone else that's read this and willing to give an opinion/rating?

7. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

Hmm. I've read up to chapter nine, but had to stop at the point where Snape contemplates asking Harry to become his investment manager.

There's a distinct lack of conflict in this story. Harry, in addition to being super-powerful and loved by every single person on the planet, apparently (even Draco, who seems to be in denial), he also is engaged to Ginny and has superior business acumen. Oh, right, and let's not forget that he's a perfect specimen of humanity. I'm surprised we didn't get his penis size in the first chapter, though I expect it to come up at some point. Possibly when he's taking Ginny to the heights of ecstasy never before realized by womankind.

The lack of conflict wouldn't bother me so much, I suppose, if the writer's quality of humour were at par. The writer seems to rely on what are pretty conventional jokes in fandom, including the roller coaster bit, the wrath of Pomfrey, etc.

The writing style is fine, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's inspired.

The only thing that really carries this fic are the elf-snakes. They're, as mentioned earlier, rather unique. This part of the story, unfortunately, tends to drag. By chapter nine, they're not very mysterious. I have enough information such that my curiosity has been satisfied. The only remaining questions I have are administrative ones, which I could do without. This shouldn't be mistaken as a suggestion to slow the plot down further. On the contrary, it needs to be advanced. I'm waiting for how Harry reacts to discovering that he's meant to be a God, but, upon further reflection, I don't really care, because all I have to do is picture how the uber-man would react, and I've got it made.

I give this story a 1/5.

8. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    I found the idea rather amusing. This is certainly an original idea, though I hope to see more humor later in the story, when he actually meets the creatures. 4/5

9. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Light reading. Fun.
    A good number of smiles per chapter, but not the huge chuckles you get from
    "so sue me" or some of the other humor stories. The conflict is/should be keep the wizarding world a secret while the gremlins are on privet drive.

Good change of pace, 4/5

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After reading the summary IP gives I can only think one thing.

BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT! BRIGHT LIGHT!