1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Fighting the Gods by phoenix catcher - T - HP/Stargate

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Title: Fighting the Gods
    Author: phoenix catcher
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Adventure
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 38
    Words: 364,566
    Updated: July 22, 2013
    Published: June 16, 2006

Pairings: None
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Summary: A HPStargate crossover, Harry leaves Earth at the age of 7, learns a different type of magic and with the knowledge and technology of ancient races helps the SGC and SG1 to defend the galaxy from the Evil Goa'ulds. Please read and review. Any correction o
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2994996/1/

Not too shabby. I found the alert for Chapter 9 in my inbox today and decided to give it a go. Isn't too bad, he's becomes a Tok'ra from the beginning of the story and leaves Earth soon after. Some things remind me of Shezza's story, but much different. It's set at the beginning of the series.

Checked by Minion, August 3, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. Vincent V

Vincent V Slug Club Member

Huh, I just got this story from a C2 I've subscribed to. Haven't read it yet, because of FFNet problems though. I'll post what I think of it when the site is fixed and I get a chance to read. Looks like it will be a good story though.

Edit: Pretty good story. I look forward to reading more

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Looks interesting. I'm in the crossover mood right now, for reasons unknown. I'll edit my post with my view later.

Edit: Very well done. Like BetterName has posted after me, there are a few moments that are a bit stretched. It was mainly the hacking that got me. The sneaking part didnt bother me much.

Apart from that, I saw a few grammar mistakes. Nothing a beta couldnt fix. I await the next update.

4. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I've read it. It's pretty good, but there is a bit of a WTF factor in it. For instance, even with invisibility, how does a 9 year old sneak into the most secure facility (outside of Area 51) on Earth? Or hack the Pentagon's database? "Advanced Technology" will only excuse so much.

5. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

I've been following this, and I though it was pretty good. I actually considered putting it up on here, but you beat me too it it.

I'll wait until the next chapter, and then i'll rate it.

6. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

Yep, and what advanced technology won't excuse, having a thousand-year-old Tok'ra spy in your head will. :D
    Waiting next chapter...

7. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Still the latest chapter with Harry trusting SG1 so much is a bit overboard on the friendship side. I mean would you tell someone who doesn't need to know that you have a power source that could blow up a planet and that the other side wants so much.

8. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

This Harry is a presented like the classical 8 year assassin, though the plot gives a good reason for this. But as Raijn said, I dont know why he trusts the sg1 people that easily. The part with the Internet hacking is the only huge blunder.
    A good story and interesting, even if one knows nothing about sg1, such as I.

9. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

It's not bad, but I agree about the WTF-factor. My only other concern is that the author writes slash.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Well... that's not good, is it? Maybe he'll have sex with a male snake because Kel thinks it looks sexy.

Or worse... Voldemort.

Anyway, I wouldnt mind a story where Harry is not good, but evil. He was evil in Sheeza's for awhile, but it wasnt his own doing. It would be very interesting, I think.

11. LegalAlien

LegalAlien Denarii Host

I'm really enjoying this story so far!

I'm not overly concerned that this will turn out slash, since there doesn't seem to be any indication so far and I don't judge fics just based on a writer's other stories.

There were two points raised by the previous posters:
    1. Harry's spying abilities and him hacking the pentagon computer systems: Well, sure a nine year old would not be able to pull that off, but having a thousand-year-old Tokra symbiote in your head must be worth something. After all the human's technology is child's play for them - and most certainly also for the Melatai.
    2. His trust into SG-1. Okay, I admit, the trust might go a bit too far, but he also has no reason to distrust them. Don't forget that they did rescue him from the Goa'uld in the fourth/fifth chapter and did allow him to use the Stargate.

I'm definitely very interested to see how the author will fit together the major events in the SG-1 universe (possibly including some Atlantis material) and the HP world. So far Shezza's fics were kinda a reference for me, but this looks good enough to maybe stay on even footing or even surpass them.

12. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Yet you forget the fact they did not stop and talk about the database but merely grabbed him when they had at least 20 minutes left. And trust has nothing to do with it. Even if he did trust them revealing to them he has a weapon the G'ouald are after is just plain stupid. The more people that know the harder it is to keep it a secret and it'd most likely end up in a government report somewhere.

13. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Seems intriguing. I'll read this story and edit my thoughts accordingly.
    edit: aye, it was a good story. i saw a few mistakes and hope it doesnt turn into slash especially one hwere a 10 year old Harry is involved.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  14. Alayna

Alayna Second Year

I liked the story so far and am looking forward for new chapters.

I don't think it will turns slash, at least not for another few years... because Harry himself still acts as 9 year old (more or less).
    The charakters until now act quite canonlike as far as I can see.

But you have a point as in Harry is too trusting to sg1. But perhaps there is a reason. And why should he not tell them that his power source is something the Goa'uld are after? It just shows them not to try to steal it, because it will be well protected.

I'm looking forward to when/if the wizarding world gets involved

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't really rate it all that much, it didn't really hook me.

16. Briar

Briar Guest

I've been following this story since the first chapter was posted all those months ago. It has to be one of the best I've read in a long while and is one few fics where I read the updates religiously.

I must admit though, that it has gone a bit fantastical with the introduction of two Ancient Space Stations, but then, how do we know what the Ancients left behind in when they left/ascended? so it's not totally out of the realm of possibility

Overall, it's a great read and one of few good HP/Stargate crossovers of the very small genre.

17. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

Phoenix Catcher

Phoenix Catcher is a pretty good writer, and most of his stories can hold my interest. This one in particular is great, but it has some fairly strong slash undertones that seem to preempt coming gayness. All of his stories are slash, and he's probably the only slash writer that i regularly read, as none of his stories are romantic, and the slash is an easily avoidable part of his plots.

This is one of the better SG1 crossovers out there, and I've never seen one where he's a willing host such as he is in this story. Interesting stuff, can't wait to see how it develops.

18. semil

semil First Year

I've liked this story for a long time, since I somehow found it months ago. My only real problem with the story is that the increasinly frequent descriptions of ships and battles are...bad. I can't picture what the ships look like or what they're doing, all I know is that they're big. But most spaceships tend to be.

Other than that I don't worry about the possible slash aspects. Harry's 11 at this point and not likely to be doing anything with anyone in the near future.

If Harry is too trusting with SG1 its probably because he wants to be. As jaded as he may be from years in action, and even with a x-thousand year old snake in his head, he's still an 11 year old boy. He's shown more than one instance of having emotions in line with his biological age, and its entirely possible that his trust towards SG1 is caused by a juvenile need for the people he likes to be worthy of his friendship and to like him back.

19. Narion

Narion Slug Club Member

Myself, I find this story to be as disappointing as Stargate: Atlantis with regards to the Ancients. They're too underpowered. Much of the technology that they're shown to have, at least in the original series, was so far beyond that of the other races, not to mention their extensive psionic powers.

Just from Jack's experience with the databases - and those were without the incredibly advanced mind and body of an Ancient - an Ancient is to the Goa'uld what the Goa'uld are to the primitive worlds under their control. Hell, it took Jack a few hours at most to create and synthesize a device to destroy the replicators, something that the Asgard couldn't do in the... presumably centuries, really, if not millennia... that they've been fighting.

And that's ignoring the ZPMs that supposedly contain as much energy as a supernova, and the computers capable of interfacing with a living mind and enabling it to direct probably hundreds of thousands of drones, not to mention whatever else the mind wants to do. Let's not forget their ability to utterly rewrite an entire creature's genetic structure more or less at a whim.

Yes, it's true that the Ancients pretty much eliminate any serious dramatic conflict, but dramatic conflict is very much overrated. I'd prefer to see the incredibly intelligent Ancient that Harry Potter should be wondering over the moral quandaries of interfering with the development of lesser races, because the extent of his ability to interfere is so vast, despite being but one person. Then there's his relationships with others - even the Asgard are below him in terms of intellect and knowledge. He's pretty much alone at the top of the universe. And as an Ascended being... well, frankly, we've never really been given a cap on what an Ascended being can do, but we do know that they can destroy fleets of ships with but a thought.

Finally, what about some information on Ancient culture? For instance, what was the purpose of those databases, if they couldn't be contained by lesser beings? What sort of government did they maintain? If they were so much more advanced than the other three races, what exactly did the Alliance involve? How many Ancients were there, and did they distribute themselves over hundreds or thousands of worlds, or did they simply maintain those as outposts, and build a ringworld or something similar to contain most of their population and manufacturing ability? How many city-ships did they have, and how much time did they spend in space?

Narion

20. Renzhoulawyers

Renzhoulawyers Sent Back to India

I got a distinct feeling that harry is gay in this fic. And don't go on telling me he's too young to have a sexuality, as he does not act like a child. It's just a vibe, anyone else get it while reading this?

P.s. 8/10 for the work. Very original to me.

*edit* not as much with his brother but with Graham. Like wtf. The brother thing still gives me a bit of a gay vibe but >.>

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008