1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Where There's A Will by veraklon - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by carvell, Aug 27, 2006.

1. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Title - Where There's A Will
    Author - veraklon
    Rating - k+
    Genre - General/Romance
    Pairing - Harry/Pansy
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 51,067
    Updated: September 24, 2006
    Published: August 23, 2006

Summary - Harry is called to a reading of the last will and testament of his godfather's will. how will he react to find that padfoot has set events in motion for harry future happiness.
    Suggested catergory - Romance
    link - www.fanfiction.net/s/3120164/1/

I saw this when looking at rare ship's only 2 chapter's so far but there are long, dumbledore being an arse running harry life, but unlike most post OOTF harry's friend's being dupped and not being bribed ( so far ) It's well written and harry is showing a lot of trust for Padfoot.

Checked by Minion, March 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

It's written nicely, but it's too fluffy for my taste. Soul bonds and crap like that is cheating, pure and simple, just as having Harry wake up on his 17h birthday with super powers and all the knowledge in the world.

Not to mention that Dumbledore turns out as a complete moron, doing things that make no sense at all (forbidding Ron & Hermione to write to Harry and then writing vague letters in their name himself? WTF?).

3. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Yeah, Dumbledore gains nothing from those letters, moreover, false letters easily discovered by Harry and co, damaging old coot's reputation. Dumbledore there seems uber-manipulative and sometimes fights in lost battles, with un-Dumbledorish modus operandi. I agree with ip82 on this soul-bonding crap - this is too cheap and too fast (in 2 days!) in my opinion. There should be more practical approach by Harry, like with Pansy's parents.
    But, on the other side, there are nice long chapters, without visible spelling mistakes, anti-Dumbledore friends, no H/G, and MAYBE interesting events in future.

I reserve my mark on this fic for said future.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  4. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I think my biggest disappointment with this story is that Pansy is a Mary-sue. It would have been more interesting to see Harry getting together with the real Pansy. The action of the 'best friends' was strange too, not to mention the uber-idiot-manipulative Dumbledore.

On the plus side the detailing is good and the chapters are long.

3/5

5. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

It reads well and is a fresh take on things. The make out scene was one of the better lemon cuts (or is it lime cut, well a pg rated kissing scene) I have read.
    It was like reading a romance novel and not a harry potter fan fic.
    If the author keeps writing at this level and completes the story, I believe it may reset the bar for harry/pansy and maybe even harry/other (opposed to H/HR & H/GW) stories. Time will tell, Good luck veraklon.

6. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

Not a bad story, still kind of early hopefully pansy stays a slytherin and brings out harry's slytherin side more. Is there going to be some sort of training?

Also i hope that its more of a smart harry who can get around Dumbledore rather than one that just gets upset and complains all the time.

3/5 good start so far.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's a lot better than some crap, but a lot of it was pretty cheap to me, as if the author was too lazy to write any decent romance, unlike Jeaconis' which was a work of art. 3.5/5

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Anyone else read this story and willing to give their opinion/rating?

9. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

3/5 It is a well written slightly above average romance fic.
    Do you think it will be updated? Finished?
    Should word count or update rates be considered as part of the DPL rating system. It would be a big can of worms, but could have some advantages.

10. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I feel a dark rage come over me whenever I see Harry called "CUB". The urge to seriously damage something is very strong.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Oh, my grade is 3/5. Good enough for the library, but not my thing.

12. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The third chapter is ok, but I skipped the whole bonding-fluff crap. This is one of the few independent fics where DD is actually able to overrule Sirius's will and the emancipation.

The chapter ends with a confrontation Order-Voldemort and I wonder how the author will explain the outcome (the obvious safe retreat / victoriy of the Order).

Altogether the fic is ok if you ignore Mary-Sue and the fluff part.

At the moment I think 3/5 but I delay my vote until I've read more.

13. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Hey Dark Minion (and other posters) do you think the story would be a flop if Harry and Pansy saved the day/killed volde with the power of love, and turned the story into a legal potboiler over the will (and all wills in wizarding england).

I hope the writer takes the time to get the wizarding world involved in this legal issue. Death Eater and Pureblood, Questionable folk (Mr. Lovegood)
    anybody not bowing to Fudge or any powerful member of the goverment could be offed and have their estate siezed.
    I am sure some goverment or leader has done this in the past, the Inquistion comes to mind first, veraklon could take us places we have not been before, time will tell.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  14. radioactive

radioactive Third Year

I just read the third chapter, excuse me while I go and dream of the Order getting massacred... :splatter: :devil:

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think it's the war on two or more fronts that keeps this sort of stories interesting. If one threat is eliminated too fast, either by slaughtering the order or by killing Voldemort, the plot would loose much of its quality.

There are some stories where Doubledork gives in or is defeated within a few chapters and then everyone unites and concentrates on Voldemort. I think most of those are boring.