1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Wicker Man 2006

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Litha Riddle, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

Being a big fan of the original 1973 version of The Wicker Man, I was expecting to be disappointed. I mean how can you improve on Christopher Lee.
    Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised, and this film turned out to be amazing.
    They managed to keep it true to the original, but improved on the tension of the film.

Having Nicolas Cage act the part of the lost sacrifice added to this, with him playing the part of a man terrifyingly out of his depth. The place of Summerisle is well done too.

Definitely a good film that I think's worth seeing.

Litha

2. The Hungry Basilisk

The Hungry Basilisk Raptured to Hell

But it's not been set in the United Kingdom, which pisses me off because I love the original so much.

Cage wasn't a patch on Edward Woodward(I noticed the name 'Rowan Woodward' was a tribute.
    The original was about a deeply intrenched pagan belief system on the remote summers isle, not a bunch of American satanists running around like the manson family! And the little ghostly blonde girl was really starting to piss me off after a while.
    I can't believe they replaced the character of Lord Summersisle with some old bint who just wasn't half as creepy.
    I think I am missing the most important thing though.
    Where are all the naked dancing women! Its just not fair!
    Otherwise the film was passible, But I couldn't really enjoy it because of the blatant Americanization of the whole thing.
    I will be sitting down with my DVD box set of the original tonight thank you!!

The Lord is my shepard I shall not................OH THE FLAMES THEY DOTH BURN MY CHRISTIAN SELF RIGHTOUSNESS SO BOYO!!!

3. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I was a little disappointed about it not being in Scotland too, but I think it wouldn't have made that much of difference. Also I would have preferred the sacrifice to still be a christian, because that would have held more significance.

I was also a little disappointed they didn't have the fool costume, but seeing Cage run around in a bear suit was hilarious.

Other than that I think the film was excellent, but to each is own. Although I liked Christopher Lee in the role of Lord Summerisle, I thought the woman was much more intimidating.

I'm glad some of it was altered because to be honest, some of the things that frightened people in 1973, don't have the same affect today.

I would advise though that people try to watch both.

Litha