1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Echoes of Power, Part I: Anger by moshpitstories - R

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Unregistered, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Title: Echoes of Power, Part I: Anger
    Author: moshpit
    Rating: R
    Genre: The Alternate's or Independent Harry
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny eventually
    Warnings: Death, Sexual Situations, Violence

Additional Warning: The story is hosted at the Harry/Ginny site ‘Sink into your Eyes’ :)

Status: Work in Progress, at the moment 16 chapters with 131744 words

Summary: Harry mysteriously disappeared at the age of 6, and then benefited from years of tutoring from an old family friend. With the return of Voldemort, it is finally time for a 15 year old, well-trained and somewhat cynical and sarcastic Harry to take up his place at Hogwarts. Life at Hogwarts, however, is not always what Harry anticipated. There, secrets are revealed, allies are discovered, and the journey to power begins.

Link: http://www.siye.co.uk/siye/viewstory.php?sid=11658
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3322666/1/

The story starts with Harry boarding the Hogwarts Express where he meets the usual Gryffindorks. To fulfil his destiny he was trained as a war mage and now he starts Hogwarts to learn as much about Voldemort as possible. He has to deal and deals with Slytherins, Snape and Umbridge and of course Dumbles.

Harry is independent, perhaps slightly dark but without superpowers. He is trained in martial arts and fights with his wand and a katana. Altogether he appears like a jedi-padawan but the story is way better than all HP-Starwars crossovers I’ve read so far.

Dumbles seems to be a senile, manipulative old coot so not all that au. Snape is probably bad, Draco is surely evil, the other Slytherins are evil at first and later .... and the rest of the school is whining in fear of the snakes.

I like the author’s style but I’m a German so I might not be able to judge one’s writing. There is not much romance yet and I hope it doesn’t become even half as corny as the usual stuff at that site. It wouldn’t fit with her characterisation of Harry and would totally destroy the story. But be warned again: the story is hosted at a Harry/Ginny site so eventually it might chance.

2. Cthulu

Cthulu Unintelligent Bigot

I have yet to read it but I must say it seems bad...

And whats up with everyone giving Harry a KATANA!?
    Can't someone go and give him an English Broadsword or an Axe once in a while?
    The only stories he EVER have anything else than a katana is if he have 1-2 daggers or 40 other weapons, like bows, crossbows, various swords, axes and all of them have atleast 20 magical attributes... With the (or the dual) katana(s) being the best of them, ofcourse....

I love Japanese culture, history and so on, BUT I'm getting sick and tired of all the Katana's in all frickin stories!
    God, the last story (with swords) I can remember that DIDN'T have an katana was Sword of the Hero!
    And it's YEARS since i read that!

Anyway, sorry for the rant... I'm sure the story is good but I won't read it becouse I hate stories when he starts Hogwarts being older than 11.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I have only read the first couple of chapters, and it does seem different. I am almost sure that the author tries to stay away from various cliches. Harry seems smarter for his age, which is a little exciting.

So far, I am suggesting a read. And as I don't hate Ginny has much as a majority of you, I can deal with her being in it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whats the betting that the OP is actually a member here, who didn't want folk to know that he/she surfs SIYE?

Im just about to read it, will edit to give an opinion.

EDIT: Ok, gave up part way through chap one. The author makes an attempt to write decently, but its only an attempt. THe H/G is glaringly obvious from chapter 1, and quite frankly, what put me off was Ginny getting Harry persuaded to teach them all his cool japanese martial arts, right after the old cliche of "the half blood handing the pure blood his arse without using magic". Not a very good fic.

1/5

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  5. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Yes, the first chapter wasn't very impressive, for I have seen at least a dozen stories start the same way. It gets better later on, but that may just be me and my fanfiction deprived mind, as I hadn't read anything in a week or so.

6. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

I like it. Harry is violent and while the beggining was cliche i really like the way he is dealing with dumbles. hes not a hellacious prick and he did get rid of snape and the malfoy trio. he intelligent. this could get interesting unless the ginslut harry stuff gets out of hand. i really hope it doesnt.

Edit: ugh. further reading has revealed to me that the prank war cliche has gone into effect. this has ruined the story for me as i belive harry has no time to be prank warring right now. ugh.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  7. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Anybody else notice that this seems to be posted by a guest? or is this invisable mode? If not I think a mod might want to check it out.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yes, we already know this. Since the section is 'new', Raven forgot to set an the 'fuck off guest' option.

Note: It's not really called that.

But yeah, it's been fixed.

9. Masked Critic

Masked Critic Backtraced

Let me be the first to say...

TRASHBINN'D!

Please.

10. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

Really liked the way he behaved and handled the situation in the first chapter but after that it just gets ridiculous. Stupid sorting, prank war,...

The Author has done a good job at making his story incredulous.

11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't find it that bad. I do agree that the prank war is horrible but the rest of it really isn't that bad. I did enjoy it overall. I'd say 3/5.

12. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    This story might not be half bad if there weren't thousands of other exactly like it. So due to the mass of old and tired cliches, 2/5.

13. Spokojnyj

Spokojnyj Squib

Ah, siye, the place where I started my travels through fanfiction land. And I don't regret coming back to this place after such a long time for this story. For the biggest part quite original, can't really name a cliche that stuck with me.

The Harry/Ginny is very very slow, in fact still nearly unexisting. How you could stumble over it from the first chapter, except because you know it's on siye, I don't see.

4-4.5/5

14. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

God I feel like ripping someones head off!

I hate these stories. Whenever they say harry disappears fo fifteen years being trained by some family friend (Who is probably the most uber powerful person who has knowledge of the prphecy because JAMES AND LILY DIDN'T TRUST ANYONE BUT THEM WITH IT! BUT WAIT THERES MORE!! They probably live in japan or something and everytime harry is embarrassed there is probably a sweat drop over his head!!!(Goes on bloody rampage)) And you know that sice its HG he going to come back and be TOTALLY BLINDSIDED BY LURVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!111one oneELEVEN!!ONEHUNDREDELEVEN!!11! Ginny is probably going to be all nonchalant about the MUCSLEHEAD!HARRY walking around and everyone else is probably going to bow too him or control him or date him BUT NOT GINNY! NO NEVER HER! And since she doesn't do all that he is going to think that shes like totllay unique and understands him. Almost fogot ANYONE WHO PUT KATANAS IN THE HP UNIVERSE SHOULD BE SLAUGHTERED AND CASTRATED WITH A DULL LETTER OPENER.Die HG!

15. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Katana?

No read.

Story + Katana = Utter Shit.

NO MATTER WHAT

16. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Why is it every author feels the need to make Harry either hate the canon chars or love them. Why cant he be 100% indi for once and just ignore them etc? Oh well I doubt any one gives a damn what I think so I will just say 1.5/5

17. The Hungry Basilisk

The Hungry Basilisk Raptured to Hell

Any fic that even implies that Whore will be in it, is more than my delicate mind can handle.

18. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

hey now, i have read some halfway decent rurouni kenshin shit, even if that genre is submerged in romance. katanas are always in those. although i guess the point is moot since in rurouni kenshin they are actually japanese... so using a katana is not a big deal. w/e

19. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I've yet to see any worth fics that have Harry running around with a sword.

Any such fics imply that the author is a fan of Japanime, and as such, will only incorperate all the other crappy qualities that come with it.

Well, I take that back. People who like Japanime aren't bad authors - it's the ones who think Japan has the coolest shit ever 1+++++ and mix it with Harry Potter that should be deprived of all Anime and forced to read comics by DC and Marvel.

20. Dragon Watcher

Dragon Watcher Third Year

The story doesn't capture my attention unless there really is nothing better to do. It's not that I hate the story, it's more like I just don't feel anything at all for the story so I give it a 3. It's Smack dab between 1 and 5.

3/5