1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Mysteries of the Department by Taure - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Skeletaure, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Name: The Mysteries of the Department
    Author: Taure
    Rating: T
    Catagory: General
    Pairings: None
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 11,508
    Published: October 3, 2006
    Updated: August 12, 2007

Summary: Set in an alternate universe, Harry has left Hogwarts and has been recruited by the Department of Mysteries. But not everything in the Department is as it first appears, and soon Harry finds himself entwined in a dangerous and mysterious plot involving a top secret project overseen by the Minister himself.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3180312/1/
    Link: http://www.ficwad.com/viewstory.php?sid=29590
    Also in the Work by Author Section here.

My new story, hope you enjoy! The prologue isn't that interesting, but the story picks up soon.

Checked by Minion, March 9, 2013
    The ff.net link is dead.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very good work. I assume you will tell us more about how the AU world is set up later, but for now very good.

3. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Interesting. Just like Mordecai said. I hope you will tell us something about this AU. The idea of Harry's work in the DoM is just hilarious. I am looking forward for the next chapter. Veruy good story.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hmm, sounds interesting. I'ma go read it now.

Oh, and from what I see in the summary... the Minister doesnt have anything to do with the department, I thought? Or is that just fanon I'm getting mixed up with?

Edit: Meh. I don't like this for some reason. I liked Turncoat alot better.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

not bad, short prologue but definetly got me interested

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Updated with a far more substantial chapter. Still not much happening, but things will really kick off next chapter with a bang.

Hope you enjoy the new chapter, I'll place it in the Work by Author section now.

EDIT: FF.net is being slow about adding the new chapter, so you can check it out here in the "Work by Author" section until then.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  7. Mordecai

High Score:
    Just read the update, very nice. A very dramatic ending certainly. I do want to know more about the AU world though. What happened to Voldemort, as it seems that Harry never got the chance to fight him after his re-incarnation (if that happened) since the Unspeakables thought he had no skills.

8. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Voldemort was never seen after his first fall in 1981. He is presumed dead by almost all of the Wizarding World, including Dumbledore. Whether he is or not is another matter.

This originally was just going to be a small neat story, but I keep getting new ideas for the AU world that I've made, so now I have sequels and sequels of sequels planned...all will be revealed...eventually, if not in this short introduction to the AU world.

9. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

I thought that the premise that you layed out sounded interesting, but I have to wonder how Harry got sorted into Ravenclaw; I mean, did he randomly sit in a different carriage or arrive a bit earlier to the station and that is what caused the change, or is this a fundamental change in the way he was raised, or was it just that the sorting hat couldn't decide and blindly chose Ravenclaw? I love otherhouse!harry, but I also like to see the why behind the reasoning. I know you will get there eventually, but I can't help but to look forward to your explaination. Keep posting!

10. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

second chapters boring as hell to the end, i still want to see more of the past though.

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Hmm...for the most part, why Harry went into Ravenclaw is not covered in this story, so I might as well put my reasoning, at least the non-spoiler half, here.

To be a Ravenclaw three traits are important above all others:
    (a) Intelligence,
    (b) Intellectual curiosity about magic
    (c) Motivation to work hard.

So, lets look at these three in turn.

A) According to the prophesy (which still exists, even if only Dumbledore knows about it, and he thinks it is forfilled), Harry is the Dark Lord's equal. This means that he has intelligence enough to be a Ravenclaw.

B) Harry grew up as a Muggle. It is my opinion that any child raised as a Muggle would be extremely eager to learn everything they could about magic.

C) As well as his natural curiosity about magic due to (B), Harry's motivation comes from 2 sources: the wish to be like his parents, who he was told were some of the best students to pass through Hogwarts by Hagrid; and his wish to prove himself worthy of his fame.

There is another whole aspect to why Harry got into Ravenclaw in this story, but that would contain spoilers, so this will have to do for now.

As for killginny, I'm sorry if there isn't enough action for you, but this is a plot driven story, not an action driven one - while there will be some action, the main genre of the story is, appropriately enough, a mystery.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  12. dark.itachi

dark.itachi First Year

I loved it, I thought it was well written and I like the mystery of it. Especially how you don't describe how everything got how it is in the story and how you are unfolding the story as you develop it. Nice job indeed. I hope you continue with it :).

13. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

i like it, keep up the great work man and update soon.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Updated with chapter 3, hope you enjoy.

15. Mordecai

High Score:
    Really nice update. The fic is now starting to pick up pace, and will doubtlessly catch many more readers now.

5/5 on the latest chapter.

16. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well done Mr. T! A truly fascinating tale, with intriguing interplay between Harry and "Granger", but I must say - I wasn't expecting the ending of the chapter that way, nor did I expect Harry not to confront the "man in black". But I guess he's no longer a Gryffindor, so perhaps that's understood.

I'll throw it a
    4/5

-J

17. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

I really liked this story. It was very original and creative, but it seemed to move and transition quickly. How long is this story going to be? It feels like a short fic from the plot transitions.

But, why don't the Unspeakables make the connection that the murder victims are all opposed to the project? Shouldn't someone else see that?

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Yes, people noticed, that was why by the end of the chapter no one was dareing to oppose the project. The reason why the project was not then shut down was because of Minister Fudge saying that it must go on.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Sorry about the double post, but I can't edit the last post as too much time has past.

I've updated the story with chapter 4 - after this chapter there is only one more chapter and an epilogue to go. Hope you enjoy!

Also, when I think about it, I think my original suggestion of this going into general is incorrect - it is far better suited to Alternates. Perhaps it could be moved?

20. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

I enjoyed what I have read so far although a few things stuck out at me, whilst I understand the fact that Harry is a Ravenclaw in this fic he must have still had some battle experience in the fight against Voldemort so the idea of him running from the killer seemed odd to me. I can understand the idea of throwing curses to gauge the nature of the enemy or covering a retreat but simply fleeing as he did seemed unusual.

One other thing leapt out at me and that was the overuse of the surnames in chapter three between Granger and Potter, whilst it worked to show the animosity between the two of them, the repetition did get a little over the top towards the end.

That said I enjoyed the chapter and the detail, chapter four also went quite nicely and the bizarre settings it was finished in fit well with the tone of the piece.

I am curious to see what will happen to Harry now that he has nowhere to run and is trapped on a space-cottage with a killer (what a sentence to write) and am looking forward to the ending, nice job.