1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Time Book 1 by highbrass - LOTR - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Buying Time Book 1
    Author: highbrass
    Genre: Action/Adventure/General
    Rating: M
    Pairings: Starts with HBP pairings, but it doesn't last
    Suggested category: "Alternates" (crossover)
    Summary: HPXLoTR. Post HBP. Harry prepares for the battles to come, Voldemort is not idle. A new spell sends our hero to a new world to learn what true power really is. First in four book series. Irregular updates.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3184020/1/

Finally a new story from highbrass, the author of Identity. It starts off as a rather good post HBP Independant and Dark Harry story. The trio + Ginny train, live and sleep together, performing a bunch of dark rituals in the process. At the end of the 1st (and only) chapter, Harry is separated from his buddies and sent into the LOTR world, where he's bound to stay for a long time.

So far, the story has pretty good writing style, ideas and characterization. The author had seemingly managed the impossible - write hints of H/G without making me feel sick. He also had Harry (and his friends) grow rather dark and ruthless, which is a rarity in a post-HBP part of the fandom.

On the other hand, his other story (Identity) also started fine, only to turn into a self-indulging Marry Suish crap fast in the later chapters. Whether the author will manage to keep this story on the leash (which seems to be his main problem with writing), remains to be seen. Heh, as long as he doesn't have Elves walking around with iPods and Simple Plan having a guest performance in Gondor, it'll be fine by me.
    4/5

2. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

lol...i just read this as well, man ip so fast...

i don't know if harry's wife is an oc or not, could even be an elf. i really enjoyed the whole dark characterization, yet the whole harry making everyone afraid was a lil much. i agree that the h/g parts were not sickening, just supportive.

3. Wisdom's Mountain

Wisdom's Mountain Sixth Year

Ha, I was annoyed by that too while reading Identity. It was great, but when Harry became the lead singer of his own "Simple Plan" and preformed a gig at Hogwarts, I called it quits. This one looks okay, but I hope it doesn't turn into a
    Super!Harry fic like identity.

4. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

it probably is cuz harry is living to be 400 years old...

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a good start, and I'm looking forward to the bit in middle earth, even if it's quite easy to predict how it will pan out.

It takes quite a while to get used to the unique way of telling the story, but it's original, so no complaints there.

4/5

6. parselmaster

parselmaster Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I'd have to give this a 3out of 5. There are too many cliches, but some are actually used well, and some are uncommon for the types of fics I usually read. I could have done without the Grandfather Harry bits and the characters were a bit out of character but overall a decent fic. A bit to many rituals for everything, but I can live with it. But How could the Malfoy money be of any use when Harry Basically buried Gringotts? Not a favorite but still good. As I said 3/5

7. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

This is a good story for 2 reasons, it H/G but it manages to prevent you from feeling disgusted and its lotr Crossovers wich i greatly enjoy. THere are some cliches but other than that its pretty good. 4/5.

8. Lord Necros

Lord Necros Slug Club Member

Read it the first chapter is so weird it makes no sense but I will wait and it looks like it is leading to harry/OC

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  9. CaptainG

CaptainG Third Year

I didn't like this. It all seems too broken up - and I really don't like the idea of it being told through a talk to a grandchild. Eevrything seems to be jumbled around to me, or maybe I'm jyst too tired to understand it properly.

I might try it again when there's more to read.

2/5

10. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

4/5, but only because of the several clichés. Overall, I felt that it was a very good plot, well-written enough and enjoyable to read. Also, I actually liked that the story was told like it was; I felt it accented the content. Anyways, this is definitely recommended, but, like ip, I fear that highbrass' inability to keep the story on track might come into play, ruining this story.