ip82
10-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Title: Yet Another SiblingWhoLived Fic
Author: pstibbons
Genre: Drama/Humor
Rating: T
Pairings: H/Hermione
Suggested category: "Alternates"
Summary: AU, GOF, HHr. Slytherin Harry is the overlooked brother of the BoyWhoLived, and the boyfriend of Hermione Granger. They decide to go public with their relationship in their fourth year, and change things within the school. Breaking Draco is a good start.
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3182770/1/

As the title says, yet another Sibling-Is-Boy-Who-Lived fic; But this one is a good one.

It's a 4th year AU, Slytherin!Harry and Hermione are already a couple... and they decide to go public with their relationship, resulting in houses coming together and all that crap.

So, in a way, the story is eerie similar to "Unsung Hero", only much less dark and angsty. The main focus here isn't war of Voldemort, but mostly teenage and school stuff, like Quidditch, romance, Triwizard Tournament, mystery of Harry's mother etc. Kinda like good old Jeconais' works - light drama, a touch of humor, some romance and a fairly competent and relaxed Harry. Very refreshing read, if you can handle cudly H/Hermione romance.

4/5

Sepanto
10-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Excellent story (as allways).
Finally a H/Hr that did not make me throw up.
3.7/5

Zevrillion
10-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Not overly bad, but its irritating to read how the girls hit their boyfriends if they don't agree with them. How pathetic is that. 2.3/5

ip82
10-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Heh, chicks love that shit. Makes them feel good, to be able to bitchslap their boyfriends whenever they like...

Dark Syaoran
10-06-2006, 09:15 PM
IP... you sound a little whipped? Lol.

I have nothing else to read so I'll give this a go.

Moloch
10-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Heh, chicks love that shit. Makes them feel good, to be able to bitchslap their boyfriends whenever they like...

Just boyfriends?

My best friend's girlfriend has most likely hit every male within a 1 mile vicinity of her home.

Anyway, from what I remember after reading it before, this is a fun read. The kind that has a mature plot with a few chuckles inside.

I keep getting reminded of David Eddings works when I read this.

EDIT: Grammar is good for the soul. Silly me.

Dark Syaoran
10-07-2006, 05:17 AM
I couldnt even get passed the first chapter. Seriously, what the fuck?

"Lets duel in the middle of the Great Hall, it'll be great fun!"

That part of the chapter was what killed it. The dialog in that scene wasnt so hot either. Its like them Independent stories where Harry rants about his life and does it in a totally unrealistic way. What kinda retard speaks like that? Yes, I realise they were 'putting on a show' for the rest of the students, but it just didnt flow right.

Blah... 1 out of 5... actually, no. I wont rate it since I havnt read the rest of it, and that'd be unfair.

Xiph0
10-07-2006, 07:57 AM
She reached the third door on the left from the end of the corridor, and quickly went in. Then she waited for him.

She, being a Muggleborn Gryffindor, was well aware of the dangers of meeting with a Pureblood Slytherin. Especially when he was the most hated, amongst her housemates, Slytherin in their year. Draco Malfoy, King of Bigoted Idiots, was first.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/MAR-Peeves/Smilies/AwJeez.jpg

She shook her head. Her house had plenty of bigoted idiots by itself. All following the Boy-Who-Lived like sheep, even as he did stupid things like torment his twin brother for the crime of being in Slytherin. Could they not see that said brother was a perfectly normal boy? Correction, better than normal - he was smarter, wittier, sneakier, braver, and definitely cuter than any normal boy. And Paul Potter, the Boy Who Lived For The Bloody Spotlight, was definitely normal.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/MAR-Peeves/Smilies/thxfortehinfo.jpg

She had been publicly branded a friendless Know-It-All by Ron Weasley and Paul Potter a month into her first year and had gone to cry in a girl's bathroom as a result.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/MAR-Peeves/Smilies/whocares4.jpg

She smiled at Harry's reaction to her giving him one of the notebooks. No-one had ever given her the goddess treatment - falling to their knees and repeatedly bowing to her with their arms outstretched. Harry was very sweet.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/MAR-Peeves/Smilies/huh.gif

...enough. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/MAR-Peeves/Smilies/disgust.gif

Dark Syaoran
10-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Filius Flitwick and Crina Evanescu (the new and contreversial DADA Professor who was a vampiress) rushed over to the prone Weasley, while McGonagall and Snape made their way to the Ravenclaw table.
Vampiress? What...

I decided to give this another go and nearly collapsed. I know you said it focus' on things like school and the like, but fuck me sideways.

Everyone just suddenly starts noticing that Paul - which is a fucking shit name for the BWL, btw - is an arsehole after Hermione and Harry's little lame show? Things just seem to be happening because they can, now.

Urgh.

Xenon
10-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I had high hopes for this fic. I realy did.
Hermione waited. There was still one person left in the family - Mary, Harry's stepmother. Lily, the mother of the Potter twins, had died when they were six. Harry missed her much, especially as she had been the only person in his family to give him any attention.

"... she's starting to notice me," Harry continued, very hesitantly. "But... she keeps giving me these weird looks, especially if I'm alone with her."
OHHHHHH YEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3096/tixwi2jx62ihfefusrzmpjeftuuvrkeaeu6.jpg
At least, that was my initial thoughts on the fic. But my disapointment was unparaleld when I came to the conclusion that Harry would not in fact be boneing his step-mom. after awhile I came across more lines in this snoozefest that stood out.

To make this next section remotly interesting(and this entire post less PC), I have replaced the word "Vampire" with the word "Nigger"
The news that Albus Dumbledore had hired a nigger to teach children at Hogwarts was met by the Wizarding public with the expected amounts of derision, scorn, gasps of incredulity, and accusations of senility.

But what about the Ministry? And the School Board?" asked McGonagall.

"She said Lucius Malfoy owes her a life debt. He made sure his allies did not block her appointment."

^This alone almost makes it deserve the trash bin.
"Well," said Hermione. "I am curious about one thing. How did Harry's mother die?"

"Ah," said James, his face paling. "Niggers."

A/N: Someone really ought to write a one-shot where Hermione teaches Harry how to hug. Even in this universe, he doesn't know how to do it very well, with Lily gone
MY MIND ASPLODE!

But all in all,. If you can get over the 'Harry is not boneing his step-mom' thing, its not that bad of a fic. Its still a rather dry read and not that enjoyable. I'll rate it as 2/5, pending re-evaluation.

Wisdom's Mountain
10-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Whipped!Harry isn't exactly my cup of tea. I hate how author's write about how girlfriends "cutely" hit their boyfriends when they're wrong, but say it's abuse if the hitting goes the other way. :wall:

Everyone just suddenly starts noticing that Paul - which is a fucking shit name for the BWL, btw - is an arsehole after Hermione and Harry's little lame show?
[/FONT]

What would you say is a good name for a BWL?

Dark Lord Rostam
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
"We've got to get you out of there, Harry. Maybe my parents can adopt you or something."
Are you fucking kidding me?
Hermione's breath caught. She hadn't expected him to agree "Are you sure, Harry?" she asked. It was more of a danger to him than her. After all, she didn't think any Gryffindor would try to murder her in her bed for dating a Slytherin, while precisely that had happened to Blaise Zabini when he had attempted to date Katie Bell the previous year.

"I can defend myself now," he replied. "And I can sleep in classrooms if I must. I checked the rulebook - students are barred from living in other Houses' dormitories, but nothing says they have to be in their own dormitories."
He'll sleep in a classroom just so he can continue going out with a bucktoothed know-it-all.
Neither was surprised when Ron pulled out his wand and tried to stun Ron.
Suicidal, eh.
All from the first chapter. I quit.

PsychicLunar
10-07-2006, 04:30 PM
... I've read the first chapter and I must say that it's not exactly what I can consider the best read. There's something missing... besides an absence of fluffyness that is. Maybe if I read the next two it'll become clear? Either way, it's not great but it doesn't suck as bad as other stuff I've read. And Paul is not a name for fame... I didn't mean to rhyme that.

CrashLTD
10-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Definitely won't go into my To-Read list. I just can't read this shit no matter how many times I tried from morning til evening. It doesn't have the quality or style of writing I'm used to. I'd give 1/5.

Dark Minion
10-08-2006, 04:37 AM
It has some upsides though. Chapter four is published now, with Harry participating in the Triwizard Tournament, and the story is not following GOF but original.

The downside of this chapter is the I'm your mother thing.

I will follow the story if it doesn't become too crappy. The chapters are long enough to skip the boring parts and still have a decent amount to read.

I say 3.5/5.

Dark Syaoran
10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
What would you say is a good name for a BWL?
Harry? Lol.

Anyway, this is getting binned.

Dark Minion
11-02-2006, 05:27 AM
Since chapter 10 the story really becomes original. There's nothing with GOF anymore. Voldemort uses unique tactics; the Ministry is supporting his cause, perhaps even willingly; and the full war starts around Christmas.

So nowadays I'd give it 4/5 for originality and pace and really fast updates.

The downside: The fast updates seem to hinder the author to employ a beta-reader.

bloodmage
11-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Ya, I've been following this fic since it started. The author updates every alternate day with about 4k chapters, which is a great point and sets it above most other fics.

In here Harry is independant... He isn't a lap dog to Dumbledore, and he doesn't care much for his father and godfather who neglected him. The downside is that this is not too Harry centric, because in later chapters like ch 7 onwards, the spotlight shifts towards Lily, who is a vampire and teaches DADA.

The ministry is really cool to read about, how they target the people with the "S" mark on their faces (mainly slytherins), and how they are targetting vampires and werewolves.

Lily is gone now, and so maybe the spotlight will shift once more back to Harry but I doubt it.

A major pet peeve of mine is Harry's obsession with Hermoine... Meh, not really major now. He does ok romance, but it's not my cup of tea.

Ya, this author is filling my mailbox with his updates.