1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Saves Nine by estaog - PG13

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Amerision, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Title: Saves Nine
    Genre: Action/Adventure [Suggested for Alternates]
    Author: estaog
    Rating: PG-13
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 7158
    Published: October 15, 2006
    Updated: August 11, 2007

Summary: After his defeat of Voldemort, Harry Potter is tasked to travel to the past and prevent the Dark Lord from rising to power. Though the method of travel allows for changes in history without paradox, Voldemort cannot be killed before October 31, 1981.

Link: http://www.ficwad.com/story/30865

:::

Review: It's a time travel story where Harry goes back in time to defeat Voldemort. The catch is that he must wait six years before killing Voldemort. There seems to be a fair bit of interaction with vampires as well.

It seems well written enough, but at 7000 words it's too short to make much judgement. The only downside I see so far is Harry wanting to become a Muggle Studies Professor at Hogwarts, if only to "...get close to Dumbledore."

Though we haven't seen much of Harry's personality, he seems fairly mature, and regards seeing his parents as a secondary reason for going to Hogwarts.

3.5/5

Checked by Minion, Nov. 26, 2012
    Fixed the link.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

This fic's pretty conventional in terms of content, but it's got a couple of things going for it. First, it seems to set up a prospective timeline of events that suggests that it's not going to be one of those stories that peters out two chapters after exhausting all the meeting-his-dead-parents angst. If we're lucky, it won't focus on that at all. Second, the actual writing style (sentence rhythm, diction, grammar, etc.) is actually rather smooth and thus doesn't make me cringe.

3.5/5 sounds about right to me.

QR

3. HardcoreHobbit

HardcoreHobbit Second Year

Interesting concept. But I must say, I'm concerned about an author whose chosen name is 'Goatse' backwards.

I shall read this, and be back later.

Edit (22/10/06 - 15.35 BST)

Well.. It's not half bad. Like Quill Runner said, the writing style is nice, it doesn't have any glaring mistakes, and the storyline seems feasible (or about as much as is possible for going back in time). One thing I'd like to see is a bit more explanation on what happened before he came back.

And seriously... Muggle Studies? Why the bloody hell does he want to do that?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  4. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Hm...interesting. I would like to read more before i actually comment on the story as the author has not revealed anything of the plot as of yet.

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I like it, 4/5

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of the best new stories that I've read for 2 months or so - an old idea but one that has never been done well or by some-one non-fangirlish.

The writing style is very good (the story reads like a real book in many ways) and there are a few nice original ideas in there about vampires ect.

5/5

7. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Its decent, Its not Jbern's fics, or Master Slytherin or Cervus Quality but its pretty good. But It has potential to be excellent. I didnt care for the Muggle Studies or some of ancient I could destory you in a heart beat vampire stuff. But overall not bad

3.5/5

8. bloodmage

bloodmage Backtraced

I don't like it. The vampire bits were too confusing.