PDA

View Full Version : [Abandoned] Metal Gear Solid: Slytherin Eater by Rogue 11 - T/M?

PsyckoSama
10-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Title: Tactical Espionage Action Metal Gear Solid: Slytherin Eater
Author: Rogue 11
Rating: T, maybe M
Genre: Crossover
Pairing: None. Maybe H/Sniper Wolf
Published: Oct. 28, 2006
Updated: Nov 4, 2006
Summary: Vernon Dursley's estranged uncle 'Jack', AKA Big Boss, decides to stop by and make amends. Needless to say, he's not impressed with his kin but he does end up taking a young Harry under his wingÖ

Link: http://forum.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=109024

I give it a 5/5.

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Mercenary
10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Hilarious... 5/5! I vote for keep. Its not the most realistic of stories but I think its good

TheIllusiveOne
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
It was very good untill Harry went to Hogwarts, then it got boring as hell. Especially considering its another canon rip off.

Shuujaku
10-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Enjoying this, the omakes a pretty funny.

Hoping this doesn't turn into the average "Muggle Soldier!Harry" fic where every other paragraph is about guns or equipment, but it seems unlikely at this point.

The cardboard box omakes kill me. <3

4/5

Antivash
10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
HAHAHA! This fic is For the Fucking Win!

6.5/5

huntedorange
10-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Really a very good read, and the omakes are hilarious, keep it keep it keep it now!!!

Dark Syaoran
10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
*stares at the title blankly*

Randeemy
10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
The title, in my current state, is incrediblly amusing, However in a sober frame of mind I have no doubt that I would be disinclined to read this. the positive reviews however have left me thinking I should not judge this story by the title.

PsyckoSama
10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
It was very good untill Harry went to Hogwarts, then it got boring as hell. Especially considering its another canon rip off.

Thats the reason he's glazing over it. From the sound of it the major changes are coming in later when he starts to get trained by his Uncle 'Greatest Soldier in the World'.

Hoping this doesn't turn into the average "Muggle Soldier!Harry" fic where every other paragraph is about guns or equipment, but it seems unlikely at this point.

Yeah. Big Boss is FAR too intersted in the Magical World to have Harry just disreguard it. He'd probelly kick his ass if he did.

The title, in my current state, is incrediblly amusing, However in a sober frame of mind I have no doubt that I would be disinclined to read this. the positive reviews however have left me thinking I should not judge this story by the title.

Its a pun off of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Inquisition
10-30-2006, 01:24 AM
It's all right. I don't know enough about MGS to make a determination. I'll have to keep checking back here.

4/5

Mordecai
10-30-2006, 02:45 AM
The title is so unattractive to me you have no idea. Coupled with the fact that I hate MGS, and I don't think Ill bother reading it.

PsyckoSama
10-30-2006, 03:08 AM
The title is so unattractive to me you have no idea. Coupled with the fact that I hate MGS, and I don't think Ill bother reading it.

No accounting for taste then...

Twitch gamer, I take it...

bloodmage
10-30-2006, 07:22 AM
*stares at the title blankly*

Yes, nice title... Metal Gear Solid... Yeah... Nice... :rolleyes:

Mercenary
10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
the title isnt the most imaginative one but I would encourage at least a once over.

arkeus
10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
It is actually quite well written, enough that most people here did not note on his the author's fondness for the Weasleys. Quite an enjoyable read, even though it does follow canon, for now. Sometimes simplicity is best :-)

Xenon
10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
This fic, depspite the punny tittle, deserves 5/5 for simply existing. Moving past fanboyism, it is actualy well writen. It's nice that while it makes refrences to cannon events, for the most part, it focuses mainly on the interaction between Big Boss and Harry, and not a proverbial 'OMG THE MAN'S AT HOGWARTZ LOL style fic.

Also, seeing Harry steal Duddly's cookies using a cardboard box is one of the greatest gimicks I've seen in fanfiction in a long time.
Ratting: 5/5

ip82
10-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Well written and fairly interesting. Big Boss character is pretty cool too. On the other hand, the whole Weasley fascination is a bit of a downer for me, but other then that, pretty enjoyable little story.
3.8/5

Dark Syaoran
10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
This is bleh. It's not as great as I thought it'd be, from all the great reviews its getting here.

Jon
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I lost interest the second it decided to follow canon.

PsyckoSama
10-30-2006, 06:29 PM
I lost interest the second it decided to follow canon.

Funny... you say that as its starting to break off from canon. It's going to follow canon up to the end of the second book, until it becomes blatently clear that Harry is in danger at school and he will require training to survive.

Not everything would change in first year you know...

Jon
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
No, I say that as I see Hagrid repeating the exact same thing he said in the first book.

Stalicon
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Yep, I'm surprised by the quality of this fic, in my experinece most cross-overs are shit.

A nice change from the norm

5/5

TheIllusiveOne
10-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Funny... you say that as its starting to break off from canon. It's going to follow canon up to the end of the second book, until it becomes blatently clear that Harry is in danger at school and he will require training to survive.

Then why introduce the guy when Harry's 8? It just adds a bunch of bullshit I don't want to read. If the author wanted to keep everything the same as canon with simply an extra character untill Harry's second year then he should have made this a post-CoS fic, instead of starting it when Harry's still at the Dursleys and hasn't heard of magic yet, IMO.

Stalicon
10-30-2006, 07:00 PM

Did you think at all? Sure, a twelve year old will just hop all willy-nilly into van with some scarred up dude wearing an trenchcoat and eye-patch, happens all the time really.

He introduced him at an early age so that (to me at least) Harry could develop a bond of trust with him, even if it was after CoS Harry would have been a wee bit suspcious of him just showing up outa the blue after he defeated Voldy again.

That and do you honestly seeing anyone but an attention starved little kid even going near a guy that looks like a cheap comic book villan? And even then its stressing it.

PsyckoSama
10-30-2006, 07:18 PM
That and do you honestly seeing anyone but an attention starved little kid even going near a guy that looks like a cheap comic book villan? And even then its stressing it.

One so intimidating that, according to Harry, he could make "a rock surrender out of fright" and have "lions begging for mercy at the sight of him" none the less...

Lets be honest, Big Boss is the person who Moody wanted to be when he grew up...

Inquisition
10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Can you see an eleven year-old Harry saying:

"Fuck you, Dumbledore! I'm leaving, you manipulative old bastard, and your bloody snake-human hybrid fetish!"

AbyssalDaemon
10-31-2006, 01:06 AM
I give it a 4/5.

PsyckoSama
10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Can you see an eleven year-old Harry saying:

"Fuck you, Dumbledore! I'm leaving, you manipulative old bastard, and your bloody snake-human hybrid fetish!"

No, I see an 11 year old being "Ohh... you said a dirty word!"

What some people forget is that teen angst and teenage argumenitive behaviour come with the hormones. You're not going to have it until atleast 4th or 5th year.

bloodmage
10-31-2006, 06:38 PM
I just read it now, and despite the WTF?! title, this story is awesome.

I don't know anything about metal gear solid, but the author explained it well.

The basic premise of this story is that some paranoid commander who is related to Vernon finds Harry and helps him out bit...

What are the patriots? Anyone know metal gear solid can explain this to me?

PsyckoSama
10-31-2006, 07:10 PM
I just read it now, and despite the WTF?! title, this story is awesome.

I don't know anything about metal gear solid, but the author explained it well.

The basic premise of this story is that some paranoid commander who is related to Vernon finds Harry and helps him out bit...

What are the patriots? Anyone know metal gear solid can explain this to me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_%28Metal_Gear%29

And something to help out on "who's big boss?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boss

bloodmage
10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
ok i'll leaf through them later.

Gullible
11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
He had himself killed a few people using only a fork.
Now THAT is true DLP style.

EDIT: "I once killed several soldiers using only a fork, during an escape from a prison, just after a torture session, which was when I lost the eye mind you, so yes. I would have some experience to go on for telling that." Jack said.

:)

Hardcore motherfuckers ftw!

TheIllusiveOne
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM

Did you think at all? Sure, a twelve year old will just hop all willy-nilly into van with some scarred up dude wearing an trenchcoat and eye-patch, happens all the time really.

He introduced him at an early age so that (to me at least) Harry could develop a bond of trust with him, even if it was after CoS Harry would have been a wee bit suspcious of him just showing up outa the blue after he defeated Voldy again.

What a retarded post. You're telling me that Harry wouldn't take training from the only realative of his which he cares about and trusts? If he told Harry not to trust Dumbledore, he wouldn't, period. Because despite not seeing him very often, this fic clearly shows that he is the only one who cares about Harry and the only one who Harry cares about in return. Stop making excuses for the author, jesus.

Kai Shek
11-01-2006, 05:14 PM
What a retarded post. You're telling me that Harry wouldn't take training from the only realative of his which he cares about and trusts? If he told Harry not to trust Dumbledore, he wouldn't, period. Because despite not seeing him very often, this fic clearly shows that he is the only one who cares about Harry and the only one who Harry cares about in return. Stop making excuses for the author, jesus.

Stalicon was trying to make a comment about somone posting about making it a post 2nd-year AU story . If it was was post 2nd year, it means that everything before then was cannon, which means that Harry wouldn't know this guy, which means he would be a total stranger. He wasn't trying to diss the story, but trying to show flaw in the post 2nd year statement.

Stalicon
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Then why introduce the guy when Harry's 8? It just adds a bunch of bullshit I don't want to read. If the author wanted to keep everything the same as canon with simply an extra character untill Harry's second year then he should have made this a post-CoS fic, instead of starting it when Harry's still at the Dursleys and hasn't heard of magic yet, IMO.

Wow, what a stupid way to get back at my post, by proving me right. Thanks. Next time get your story straight.

TheIllusiveOne
11-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Wow, what a stupid way to get back at my post, by proving me right. Thanks. Next time get your story straight.
What the fuck are you talking about, moron? I was showing that it was stupid to follow canon exactly the same for the first and second year, instead of either starting training pre-hogwarts or not even introducing the guy untill post-CoS, proving my point for my first post.

SushiZ
11-01-2006, 08:02 PM
The title should be changed, the story is really good. The title is the bad thing.
I will give it a 4/5.

PsyckoSama
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM

I was AGREEING with you, dumbass.

What the fuck are you talking about, moron? I was showing that it was stupid to follow canon exactly the same for the first and second year, instead of either starting training pre-hogwarts or not even introducing the guy untill post-CoS, proving my point for my first post.

Everyone else has made the counerpoint yet your too damn pigheaded to realize it. Not everything happens that quickly, and really, stop your mindless bitching. Its not like he rewrote it all except the parts where Big Boss was involved himself.

Stalicon
11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
PsyckoSama, that post wasn't aimed toward you. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I got excited and didn't write it very well.

PsyckoSama
11-02-2006, 12:03 AM
PsyckoSama, that post wasn't aimed toward you. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I got excited and didn't write it very well.

Alrighty then. Sorry I called you a dumbass.

Moloch
11-02-2006, 12:10 AM

Dude. So what you're saying is that Big Boss shouldn't have been introduced until CoS as the storyline continues to follow the Canon storyline but yet Harry would immediately trust him even though he's just met Voldemrot twice after a day of talking?

And now you're saying that he shouldn't be introduced until CoS because he didn't train harry all that much? Doesn't that go back to the trust issue?

I'm seriously confused.

EDIT: I'd be interested to find out who teaches Harry about Occlumency. Psycho Mantis or an HP character?

PsyckoSama
11-02-2006, 12:30 AM
EDIT: I'd be interested to find out who teaches Harry about Occlumency. Psycho Mantis or an HP character?

If you'd like I can try and get Rogue 11 to start a DLP account, so he can actually respond to this stuff...

Failing that, try and join Spacebattles...

Aekiel
11-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Trust isn't built in a day, and wouldn't you be a bit wary after having a dumbass and a Dark Lord for defence teachers, facing off against said Dark Lord twice, along with a fucking big snake.

I think any normal person would be just slightly wary of new people at this point, wouldn't you? Jesus, i'm surprised they don't have bets on what the new DADA teacher is gonna be next year.

*Scene*
"With my luck we'll probably get Lucius Malfoy as a defence teacher next year," said Harry in a despondant tone.

"Nah, that won't happen," responded Ron, and after a moment of thought, "we'll get a vampire, I think."

"Ugh, Headmistress McGonagall wouldn't let Lucius Malfoy or a vampire be a teacher, don't be stupid," came the irritated voice of Hermione.

*September 1st, 7th Year*

"And now, we introduce our new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, supplied for us by the Ministry of Magic," there was a long groan from the students, "Mr. Lucius Malfoy, who has recently been turned into a vampire and kicked out of the Death Eaters." McGonagall's lips had become so thin as to be invisible and there was a huge round of applause from the Slytherin table... and complete silence from the others.

Harry blinked slowly as the senior Malfoy languidly strolled out from a side room. He turned to Hermione with a strange look on his face. "You had to bloody well jinx it didn't you."

*End Scene*

Anywho, after that... unexpected idea, Harry isn't exactly forthcoming in the trust department after his second year, only Lupin gained his trust, and that was only because he was a friend of his parents and was teaching him the Patronus Charm.

P.S. Now that I think about it, this omake thing has no relevance to the topic so if you want me to move it I will. Though it could tie in to trusting someone because they hold a certain position, or are vaguely related to him, though not through blood.

Rogue 11
11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Right... Having been convinced by PsychoSama to join up (If only for the purpose of responding to this thread.)

Basic point of this story: Get that damn idea out of my head as it had been lurking around for quite some time there. Also: Since I first was at it just use it to try and train to write in areas of writing I consider myself weak. I never intended to post it and just courtesy of one of my pre-readers who in a "Best fic you ever read" thread on SB listed it without notifying me I got convinced to put it up just so they could see what the hell he was talking about. I'm caught flat footed at how good response he's gotten so far and this forum was a fresh breath of air in that it's the first negative feed back I've gotten on it.

Let's handle the criticism:

Stuff I consider valid:

The Title: Can't agree more. I SUCK with Titles. Just can't come up with a good one to save my life. This story didn't even have a title for the months it just lay around on my hard drive taking up a few kb space. I came up with one after having been convinced to post it on SB by some friends.

Sticking too close to canon: Yep, I even was so lazy I transcribed dialogue directly from the original books on some scenes I felt I couldn't skip yet plain didn't want to handle fully in figuring out how the character would act under changed circumstances like that. A bit of it was that the initial idea for this story was altering a certain scene in Book 4 with how a Big Boss trained Harry would do there. So I did want it to happen and not change too much. A bit was that I really wanted to do change gradually, just 'cause it's something I haven't often done in my stories and felt I could use the practise. And a bit is because I want to see how the changed characters would do in some of the same situations. As some has said though, by now all the minor changes are building up enough that it'll start breaking more and more away from canon.

I probably won't do a full break until end of year 4 or so though.

Worth mentioning:

Bringing Big Boss in too early: The ones who say I wanted trust solid down the line has it mostly right, but there's more.

There was the issue that in the time lines doesn't leave that much room. In 1995 Big Boss went rogue state with Outer Heaven. The last years before he probably didn't have any free time whatshowever. I mean going rebellious on such a large scale (He had nukes and some advanced weaponry not availible to any of the first world nations at the time) right under the nose of your superiors without tipping them off is a major project. Unless he had a reason to pay attention to Harry beforehand it wouldn't happen. So I figured I'd err on the side of caution and place it well beforehand.

Yeah I tend to atleast at the start of my writings to pay an inane ammount of attention to details. That usually detoriates over time as I just let it flow and keep writing for the heck of it, but at the start before I really let it go I just tend to go over everything I can find for information and then try to fit everything together. Despite not planning to really show it to anyone.

The good:

Thanks for the appreciation from those of you that loved it. Really helps motivate me to keep writing :)

Moloch
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, just a question, Rogue11, just who is gonna teach Harry Occlumency?

That asked, I'm gonna quietly laugh at Illusive for getting shot down by three different people.

Rogue 11
11-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Mostly Big Boss with his second controller port technique. Atleast one wizard tries of course as no wizard will trust a pure muggle technique. If Snape he fails out again (That guy SUCKS as a teacher)

Mantis MIGHT enter it just to help out, but he's mostly icing on the cake in that case.

Mercenary
11-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey... Rogue signed up... this should be good. Also that occlumency scene should be fun to read.

Inquisition
11-03-2006, 04:12 PM
You should probably post this on FicWad or something like that.

PsyckoSama
11-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Next chapter is up...

Moloch
11-06-2006, 04:33 AM
First, what PsychoSama said. Also, just reading through their posts; but one of the posters said this,

You know, a lot of people forget that the majority of common household spells can be quite lethal. For example, let's take a look at the "Accio" spell, which can summon things. What happens if someone was to summon an opponents eyeballs, or certain vital organs? What do you think would happen if an opponent was hit with a "Cushioning" charm on their back, with all that weight, and a softened/weakened spine?

Has anyone actually made a story which has this kind of spell casting in it? 'Cuase I've read through most of the DLP archives and I haven't gotten anything remotely similar.

Aekiel
11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
First, what PsychoSama said. Also, just reading through their posts; but one of the posters said this,

Has anyone actually made a story which has this kind of spell casting in it? 'Cuase I've read through most of the DLP archives and I haven't gotten anything remotely similar.

Most people mention the 'levitation charm over a cliff' thing in indy!Harry stories but they rarely go for that afterwards. Its just a plot device for making magic neutral, not the evil, scary, dark magic that has been banned since the 1940s. They give the example and then make him learn all these uber spells that dark wizards can come to expect. I mean, whose gonna expect a levitation charm over a disemboweling(sp) curse?

On a side note, if dark magic is so bad, why was it taught in Hogwarts until Dumbledore became Headmaster? Hundreds of years of dark arts, without everyone turning into a raving lunatic kinda promotes a good view of it... So why?

Aekiel

arkeus
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Hum... I can't quite remember that it was taught at hogwart for hundred of years, bu maybe you are right (cough hbp cough, maybe).

But, anyway, it *is* taught at Drumstrang...And while they aren't lunatics, they are kind of moronic. A side effect?

Edit: the end was supposed to be a bad joke...sigh. Though apart from Viktor, we haven't seen much of the drumstrang people (Rowling...continuity!!!).

Dark Lord Rostam
11-06-2006, 08:43 PM
How are they moronic?

TheIllusiveOne
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
That asked, I'm gonna quietly laugh at Illusive for getting shot down by three different people.
Yeah, and I'm going to go cry because some kids on the net disagree with me. Waaaaaa. Moron.

PsyckoSama
11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah, and I'm going to go cry because some kids on the net disagree with me. Waaaaaa. Moron.

I teach people older than you, squire.

iceking1600
11-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Itís a very good story. I canít find any problems with it. I'd give it a 5/5 only because itís a good crossover.
You rarely find good crossovers these days . . . or there slash (shudders) Legolas and Harry is not a good pairing (mumbles, Stupid fan-girls).

bjs1111
11-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Very well written. Enjoyed it up until he went to Hogwarts. After that it just seems like it went to a different story.

ThunderGod
11-10-2006, 10:40 PM
okay, I read this, and rate it 1/5 due to the interesting beginning, hate the fact he is following canon so closely and has totally ignored the fact that change's occur which changes the future.

So the author is constantly ignoring things just so it fits his storyline, which has numerous plot holes due to this...

my advice, tank it unless you like strict canon, no matter what changes Harry goies through, he will always think the same, no matter what words come out of his mouth, it will never change the future....sad really:{...

ThunderGod
:banana: :whipped:

Aekiel
11-11-2006, 09:54 AM
okay, I read this, and rate it 1/5 due to the interesting beginning, hate the fact he is following canon so closely and has totally ignored the fact that change's occur which changes the future.

So the author is constantly ignoring things just so it fits his storyline, which has numerous plot holes due to this...

my advice, tank it unless you like strict canon, no matter what changes Harry goies through, he will always think the same, no matter what words come out of his mouth, it will never change the future....sad really:{...

ThunderGod
:banana: :whipped:

If you would bloody well read the author notes you'll realise that he's sticking close to canon until fourth year! Jesus Christ, its been gone over so many times its not even funny anymore.

I give it a 5/5 because it seems like its gonna have a lot of action from year 4 onwards. Harry will be independant from Dumbledore and will be receiving training from the most dangerous man in the world. What do you think is gonna happen?

Just give it a few more chapters til he gets to the major break then judge it. He's said multiple times that he wanted to stick pretty close to canon while keeping it quite short until year 4. Where he's gonna put in different challenges and everything.

Aekiel

P.S. Also, its a fucking AU! Of course its gonna change the fucking future! Plus, he's being trained in CQC, he's being taught to be paranoid and he's learning to be independant. That's gonna have some changes on his character in books 4/5/6. (He's very trusting in book 4 and angry in book 5. Big Boss will not let him turn emo!)

Kid Leo
11-14-2006, 12:14 AM
This story is friggin' amazing. I loved it.

Vendo
11-14-2006, 01:19 AM
It's a good story, I particularly liked that Sniper Wolf beat the crap out of those kids, highly amusing. While the story is great, the best part in my opinion are the omakes; I was laughing so hard while reading the ones involving the infamous cardboard box disguise. I really hope this gets updates soon.

Sniper Wolf and Harry seems like a good pairing.

ThunderGod
11-14-2006, 03:46 AM
<<Just give it a few more chapters til he gets to the major break then judge it. He's said multiple times that he wanted to stick pretty close to canon while keeping it quite short until year 4. Where he's gonna put in different challenges and everything.>>

I've given them enough rope...and they hanged themselves...

Changes occur which changes other things ad nueaseum..so keeping to canon for the first 3 years is not realistic at all...

and thats where I have a problem....if he wanted to to do so many things in book 4 then start there, all he has shown is that he lacks the imagination to look forward and see the changes he has made change the future..from book 1...

as to giving him a chance..and rehashing things....heh

tired and off to sleep...if you like the story, read it..if you hate it..then don't read it..simple

just don't squash free speech...

ThunderGod

Vorpal
11-14-2006, 01:11 PM
I've given them enough rope...and they hanged themselves... Changes occur which changes other things ad nueaseum..so keeping to canon for the first 3 years is not realistic at all...
Of course it's realistic. Perhaps keeping too close to canon is not what you look for in a fic (generally, a criticism I can sympathize with), but it is realistic. In the canon up to this point, just about every single significant action taken by Harry has been a response to highly contrived situations, frequently outright engineered by someone else. Given that nothing Big Boss did until the latest chapter, where he confronts Lucius, has made any truly significant impression (likely because he was unknowing, if suspicious, of the need to do anything), why shouldn't the situations be rather similar? And given the situations are similar, why shouldn't Harry react to them analogously? Except for some details, Harry isn't much different from canon at this point. He hasn't been trained by Big Boss or anything of the sort; it would be much too generous to call a few tricks he has been shown 'training'.

and thats where I have a problem....if he wanted to to do so many things in book 4 then start there, all he has shown is that he lacks the imagination to look forward and see the changes he has made change the future..from book 1...
I can sympathize with the slowness of the story in terms of divergence from canon--only now are we seeing any resolve on the part of Big Boss to actually become truly involved in wizarding affairs, which is a bit late in the fic, unless the author plans this to be a long novel (dubitable). But the fact remains is that the author didn't introduce any truly substantial changes in the beginning--Big Boss becomes aware of the wizarding world, but so what? He hasn't actually done much of anything in the wizarding world, mostly because there was no apparent need to do anything. This isn't a problem of realism, but rather simply starting with a divergence that was too small to be as interesting as it could have been.

But even if the story is finally getting move on in the latest chapter, the characterization of Big Boss is weaker than ever. For example, he threatens Lucius' life by essentially telling him that Lucius has no need to worry about court because he'd be dead, which would have been fine by itself, but right before that he discusses possible repercussions from a legal battle... this does not compute. It's as if Big Boss only thinks of killing Lucius after he already threatened litigation and social embarassment. If Big Boss was going to threaten his life, he would have decided on doing so immediately, rather than making a fumble of contradicting threats.

On the other hand, Sniper Wolf++.

The Dark Lord Squash
11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Just pointing out that even though he has only made minor changes in the Harry Potter Universe, the fact that Big Boss scraped the Outer Haven plan is a very big change from the Metal Gear storyline. The fact that there is most likely no Outer Haven means that Solid Snake will not kill Big Boss, and might stay in Foxhound and not decide to retire when he does.

PsyckoSama
11-16-2006, 01:09 AM
But even if the story is finally getting move on in the latest chapter, the characterization of Big Boss is weaker than ever. For example, he threatens Lucius' life by essentially telling him that Lucius has no need to worry about court because he'd be dead, which would have been fine by itself, but right before that he discusses possible repercussions from a legal battle... this does not compute. It's as if Big Boss only thinks of killing Lucius after he already threatened litigation and social embarassment. If Big Boss was going to threaten his life, he would have decided on doing so immediately, rather than making a fumble of contradicting threats.

One was Big Boss playing Civil infront of the idealistic old twit whom he has figured out is an incompitant old meddler. The other was Big Boss being his bastard.

Just pointing out that even though he has only made minor changes in the Harry Potter Universe, the fact that Big Boss scraped the Outer Haven plan is a very big change from the Metal Gear storyline. The fact that there is most likely no Outer Haven means that Solid Snake will not kill Big Boss, and might stay in Foxhound and not decide to retire when he does.

Outer Heaven is still around, he's just reevaluating it and introducing a magical element to help strengthen it.

It's a good story, I particularly liked that Sniper Wolf beat the crap out of those kids, highly amusing.

*grins* I helped him work out those scenes. ;)

Vendo
11-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Help him more, maybe he'll update faster!

PsyckoSama
11-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Help him more, maybe he'll update faster!

He's working on his other fic, Firewarrior's Guide to the Galaxy, right now. I'm as disapointed as you are :p

Vendo
11-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Whats Firewarrior's Guide to the Galaxy about?

Maybe a crossover or spinoff of Hitchhikers guide?

Ascania
11-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Whats Firewarrior's Guide to the Galaxy about?

Maybe a crossover or spinoff of Hitchhikers guide?

Nope, a Warhammer40K fic

found here (http://forum.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=91088)

Aekiel
11-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Wish he'd update soon. I've been checking repeatedly for days! 's a great story and I can't believe he left us on that damn cliffhanger for so long!!! I want more!!!

PsyckoSama
11-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Wish he'd update soon. I've been checking repeatedly for days! 's a great story and I can't believe he left us on that damn cliffhanger for so long!!! I want more!!!

He's sick and its making it hard for him to write.

Aekiel
11-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Ahh, fair enough. I didn't know that, so just give us some notice as to when he's writing again.

PsyckoSama
11-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Ahh, fair enough. I didn't know that, so just give us some notice as to when he's writing again.

Her better and now the lazy ass is better and playing Star Control 2. Feel free to start anoying him again now. ;) ;) ;)

The Dark Monarch
12-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Any word on an update status?

8/5

PsyckoSama
12-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Any word on an update status?

8/5

He's in the late semester/X-mas stress rush at the moment. Give him some time

Nuhuh
12-06-2006, 11:32 AM
He's in the late semester/X-mas stress rush at the moment. Give him some time

Can't fault him for that. I'm waiting for him to diverge from canon, though I wish he had done that sooner, but his vision I guess. Any other people who have tried their hand at this cross over? I think it has a lot of untapped potential.

Brooklynight
12-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I liked it so far. Its well written and has an enjoyable plot line. Like most people here I would like to see more originality in the hogwarts plotline. I would be terribly disapointed if this story turned into another one of those were a highly skilled Harry continues on normally at Hogwarts with Ron and Hermione as his best friends. On that note I truly hope this doesn't become a Super!Friends fic. The character of wolf seems to have alot of potential that I think the author can develop. A possiable future romance between her and Harry would definetly be interesting to see. The dog also has too much resemblance to Sirius's animangus form for comfort but we'll see how that plays out.

Great fic over all 5/5

PsyckoSama
12-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I liked it so far. Its well written and has an enjoyable plot line. Like most people here I would like to see more originality in the hogwarts plotline.

Third year is where is going to branch off, fourth year is going to start to become noteably diffrent (within conditional limits), and year five... well... lets just say its going to be almost nothing like canon

I would be terribly disapointed if this story turned into another one of those were a highly skilled Harry continues on normally at Hogwarts with Ron and Hermione as his best friends.

Just because your friends are not killer ninja's doesn't mean you don't value thier friendship.

On that note I truly hope this doesn't become a Super!Friends fic.

Super Friends, no... useful friends, maybe. But Ron is not going to become the reincarnation of Teddy fucking Roosevelt or anything...

The character of wolf seems to have alot of potential that I think the author can develop. A possiable future romance between her and Harry would definetly be interesting to see.

She is a canon metal Gear character, and personlly I think she 'developes' rather well...

http://members.tripod.com/metal_gear_solid_002/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sniperwolf.gif

The dog also has too much resemblance to Sirius's animangus form for comfort but we'll see how that plays out.

That was actually setting up for an element of Wolf's personality. In Metal Gear Solid there is a pack of especially vicious wolf-hounds that will rip apart anyone who's not her.

Brooklynight
12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks for clearing some of that up, I should have mentioned that I don't know anything about MGS so that explains some of my questions, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynight View Post
I would be terribly disapointed if this story turned into another one of those were a highly skilled Harry continues on normally at Hogwarts with Ron and Hermione as his best friends.

Just because your friends are not killer ninja's doesn't mean you don't value thier friendship.

My comment came out not the way I intended. I don't mean that Harry shouldn't be friends with them but I wouldn't want the story to be the cannon with the exception of Harry's new abilities but you already addressed this in one of the other comments.

Is this story hosted anywhere besides spacebattles?

Calen
12-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Not bad so far. Though I wonder what Big Boss will do when he comes into the house and see's a gun point at Harry? Maybe break both of her arms to teach her a lesson? Because at the end of the day I did get the feeling that he didn't really want her around and he is very protective of Harry.

3/5

magyareagle
12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Not bad so far. Though I wonder what Big Boss will do when he comes into the house and see's a gun point at Harry? Maybe break both of her arms to teach her a lesson? Because at the end of the day I did get the feeling that he didn't really want her around and he is very protective of Harry.

3/5

Nah, considering the life she lead, he'd be pretty understanding. In fact, I'd say he might even be a bit proud, if exasperated. Probably something along the lines of "I knew there was something I'd forgetten to tell her"

PsyckoSama
12-09-2006, 08:13 AM

3/5

He felt a little put upon taking her in, but now that she's his responsibility, shes his responsibility. He would do no such thing. Defuse the situation, yes, but to quote Senior Drill Instructor Zim, you don't spank a baby with an axe.

Aekiel
12-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Thats all well and good but we're all waiting very patiently for a new chapter to come out. *eye twitches* Soon.

DvorakQ
12-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Don't hold you breath. If you look at his other story you'd notice loooong multi-month intervals between updates. Tis truly unfortunate since imo this is one of the more enjoyable reads out.

Psyko you keep saying you're a friend of his. Please tell him to make a ff.net account! The search function is non-existant which makes it damned annoying to find stuff at the spacebattle forum.

The Dark Monarch
01-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey PsychoSama, is the author still writing this story or is it abandonned?

This is in my top ten list.

Its just so well done even the outlandish parts seem to make it better and better.

PsyckoSama
06-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey PsychoSama, is the author still writing this story or is it abandonned?

This is in my top ten list.

Its just so well done even the outlandish parts seem to make it better and better.

Finally manages to contact him again... he's alive and from the sound of it is more a summer writer. Hopefully he gets his ass in gear soon.

Taim Kelrathos
03-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Gonna do a little thread necromancy here...

Any idea if this story is updating soon? I just found it buried in my files and was hoping to find more, but a guy can hope...

Grubdubdub
03-11-2009, 02:07 AM
I'll go ahead and quote a post from the thread.

Judging by the fact that the last update was a resounding 14 months ago, I'm going to take a leap off the top of Atlantis and say... oooh... NO!

Bad Noob! No thread necromancing! That should be a universal internet rule!

Not to mention that was 11 months ago, more or less (the post, not the story...).

Taim Kelrathos
03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Then there's only two words to express my feelings on this matter:

Well poop:cry:

Amerision
03-12-2009, 11:10 AM
...What is this?

I suppose our standards back then were a lot lower, but seeing how this is unlikely to ever be finished, I propose we remove it from the library.

Honestly, the only thing I see is a Canon rewrite so far, complete with an uppity plot line that just tries to score points by resolving the annoying parts of the canon story.

1/5

The Dark Monarch
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
It seems that as the years go by, our standards get higher and higher.
Pretty funny.

The Wizard
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Man, I loved this fic. x:

LuxDragon
03-13-2009, 02:12 AM
It's not so much the canon I read about, but the Big Boss scenes. Rib breaking funny.

Helltanz98
03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree I liked it but Taim if its bothering you that much bug the author with a PM don't necro the thread

jjack1003
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
friggin hilarious.
love it.