1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lord of War

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Aekiel, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hi, just watched the new (I think) Nicolas Cage movie. Its called Lord of War and its about him becoming an international arms dealer.

Anyone who reads this will get an overview of the film, without major detail. I recommend you watch it first.
    It struck me as a brilliant film, portraying the life of an arms dealer from the humble beginnings when his family moved from Odessa, Ukraine to Brooklyn, New York. It goes through his first deal, his first major deal through his Soviet Colonel, Dimitri, just after the Cold War ends, when he gets boarded by Interpol (the officer being a recurring character). It then goes on to see him involved in every major crisis in the Middle East, West Africa and the Eastern Block countries. Though he never sold arms to Osama Bin Laden, but I didn't catch why he didn't (distracted at that sentence :(). It also shows us his first, and only, kill. It eventually ends (which everyone expects) with him being arrested, his wife and four year old son (who is four for about 10 years :p) leave him and his family disown him. His brother has already being killed.

It is a brilliant film and I recommend it to anyone with a liking for Nicolas Cage films and war films in general. Though it doesn't have much in the way of direct violence, it does have several scenes of drug use.

I give it a 5/5 for realism and the emotional attachment it generates for the protagonist. It doesn't follow traditional tragedian films, the protagonist is evil, and he does deserve what he gets but you feel attached to him in a way that circumvents right and wrong, good and evil. he may deal with the most despicable people on the planet, but he provides, in his own words, a 'necessary evil'.

It is based on a true story and shows us that the real arms dealers are our own leaders. Bar Dark Syaoran's that is :p

Overall, 5/5.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There's already a thread about this film. But yeah, it was a good movie.

3. Aekiel

High Score:
    Are you sure? I've looked and searched and its not got its own thread. It may have been mentioned in another thread but it doesn't have a dedicated one, I'm sure of it. If there is can you send the link?

Anyways, it was a good film and sorry about the spoiler malfunction. Misspelt the first spoiler tag. Gotta love speed typing but I'm still not perfect at it. Especially with tags.

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#$%^%$#@#$$%^%&^##$#%^

The reason he never sold to osama wasn't on any moral grounds it was that he had a habit of not paying his debts.

Also the movie doesn't end w/ him getting arrested. In the last 5 minutes the goverment higher ups let him off the hook because sometimes they need a freelance dealer to supply people in areas that are to hot for them to be seen in.

END SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!@#$%$#@@##$%%^%@#%%$%^%^*%

5. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Good flick, one of my personal favorites actually. Its based on a true story, though none of the names in the actual movie are real.

I always thought the Bin Laden line was hilarious.

Despite what hardships the lead character went through, (wife/son leaving, brother being killed) the movie glorifies a profession that is is just as bad as dealing heroin to kids. Selling arms to countries who you know will use them to slaughter innocents or commit genocide is just plain wrong.

Not only that but the movie also doesn't accurately portray just how much danger a gunrunner is when he does his thing. If Cage had been caught by Russian/Israeli/African forces, he would have either been tortured to death, or summarily executed with a bullet to the back of the head.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  6. Aekiel

High Score:
    It shows that when he has to emergency land the cargo plane in some African country. The African official offers to slit his throat but Valentine stops him. I love how the plane can be stripped to its core in just under 24 hours by the locals :D It was hilarious :p

7. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

It took the villagers twenty minutes to do what an airport loading crew does in a day.

8. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Yes, A very good movie even if you go to imdb and they all hate it....
    The soundtrack was amazingly done too; best thing about the whole film I think.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I think the line with Osama is something like "I never sold to Osama, not because of morals, but because his checks tended to bounce."