1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Resistance by Lorien829 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Flamata, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Flamata

Flamata First Year

Title: Resistance
    Author: Lorien829
    Rating: T
    Genre: Angst/General
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Chapters: 28
    Words: 269,062
    Updated: February 8, 2009
    Published: January 10, 2006

Summary: Voldemort has launched an all out war on the Wizarding World, and has taken the Boy Who Lived. But he has not reckoned on the resourcefulness of Hermione Granger. HHr developing in a sort of postapocalyptic environment.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2746577/1/

I don't normally read HHr, but this one had an interesting twist-Hermione loves Harry, but Ron is not okay with it, because he still loves Hermione.

That said, this is not a romance. In fact, it's probably one of the most depressing stories I've ever read. A very unique plot- Voldemort has already taken the wizarding world, and there is a very small resistance group trying to win it back. I believe the story is almost completed, and updated fairly regularly. It's not the best, but it's very, very good.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I've seen that done hundreds of time. Cliche squared. Eh, I want to read it, but fucking, "But he has not reckoned on the resourcefulness of Hermione Granger". That is an instant turn off.

If anyone else has got through this, tell me what you think, and I'll take a shot.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Ill give it a try...

Edit: Its not my kind of story... I couldnt get past the first chapter without losing interest. It seems more to focus on Hermoine then it does on Harry. I could be wrong but I just lost interest at the end of the first chap. At this point, 2/5-2.5/5. I give it that score 'cause the writing is fine. No overly bad grammar or spelling, decent story writing, good description, and characters aren't 2d.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  4. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

I agree, it's nothing I haven't seen before. I don't have a problem with the paring, but peaceful protest against Voldemort getting whacked happens in almost every post Voldemort fic. 3/5

5. Kahoisha

Kahoisha Guest

OK could not get into this, it's written from Hermione's pov and quite frankly I'm not interested in that character at all.

2/5 as it is well written but not engaging in anyway.

6. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

2/5.

There's no doubt that Hermione's the star of this story. I read a fair bit into it, and it's really irritating, because Harry consistently provides little to no input in the war effort. He's basically a love interest for Hermione and a tool to keep her motivated and provide some angst.

QR

7. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

I couldn't get passed the first chapter, it was interesting and the cliche could become an alright story, but alas, it isn't and is entirely a hermione centric story, so thats a little bit of a turnoff.

2.5/5, mainly because the grammer and all isn't to bad...

8. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Ehh, I've read a bit of this. lorien### is a good author. I can't remember if I finished, but I do remember that this was approximately a 4/5. Had enough in it to keep me interested.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Shouldn't they be switching positions? Anyway, I've seen this story around heaps of times, but like DLR said, the summary puts me off, especially that certain line.

10. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I remember reading this one a couple years ago, and then re-reading part of it when it finally finished up in February. If you can stand Hermione's central role in the fic--most of it takes place from her POV--then I think you'll find it an excellent story.

It takes place after Voldemort has already conquered Britain, and Harry, Hermione, and others lead a resistance group against him. The atmosphere is indeed post-apocalyptic, and there's plenty of character death. The rivalry between Ron and Harry can grow tedious, but it didn't ruin the story for me.

strong 4/5

11. Portus

Portus Heir

This is easily in my top ten completed fics of all time. That said, I haven't finished many of what DLP consider the "epic" HP fics, so your mileage may vary. Especially since this fic is (1) HHr, (2) from Hermione's POV, and (3) Harry does play a somewhat secondary role to Hermione, but in my opinion, that is mostly because of the plot and POV, not due to Harry's being a pussy or Hermione being a the bossy uber-bitch.

Having read this a couple times, I really liked the conflict between Ron and Harry over Hermione, the way that Voldemort had already won, and the bleakness that victory cast over everything. The fact that the small group of remaining resistance fighters was always on the run gave the feeling of fear and tension that, to me, should have been present during the camping trip, etc. in DH, but JKR couldn't quite pull it off.

The view of magic used in the story is not one I subscribe to, so that is a little off-putting, but it works well within the story, and the fact that the author is most definitely not afraid to kill off just about any character is a plus in my book.
    Some excellent touches are Voldemort's use of Harry's parents' bones as Inferi, and an ingenious way of activating Portkeys.

The writing is superior, and the story hardly ever drags; even in the parts where there's no in-your-face action, you get the sense of tension and coming conflict. Hell, just thinking about it, I may need to go read this one again. Also, check out the excellent Eighth and Shadow Walks by her.

I'd give it a solid 4-4.5, and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't hate Hermione for whatever stupid reason.

12. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I absolutely agree with Portus on this. 'Resistance' is one of my all time favorite stories; for it's plausible dystopian set-up, the characterization of nearly every vocal character, the unrelenting tension and the author's no-holds-barred take on a true wizarding war it is a magnificent work.

The reason I'm necro-ing this listing has to do with process: what does it take for an excellent story like this to be promoted to a place in the Library?

13. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

If Hermione is your favorite character, you will like the story. Simple as that.

14. Photon

Photon Order Member

For me it is true and this story is certainly not for Hermione haters. I am unsure about people with more balanced view.

There was good start, certain scenes were absolutely great.

It is really strange that it is the only story where Voldemort/DE/whatever noticed this use for polyjuice.

Also, the last scene for Draco is something special.

Unfortunately as story goes on it is more and more bloated, after editing and removal of 1/5 of text, unnecessary scenes etc it would be 5!/5 from me - but in current state it gets 4/5.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  15. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

I stopped reading when it was revealed Harry was a squib.

Squib!Harry = Complete fail.

1/5.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  16. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Incomplete reading is the failure here; the story culminates with Harry executing a magical Crowning Moment of Awesome. You're mistaking a plot complication for a design decision.