1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

To the future?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Klael, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

You know, just about every time travel fic i've read has had harry going BACK into the PAST. Can anyone suggest a nice, long one of him going into the FUTURE?

I feel like a jerk asking this, too--undoubtedly, im gonna get like 8 posts telling me to go check out the FIRST PAGE of the time travel forum for suchandsuch story or something like that...regardless, i DID look.

~DarkSov~

2. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I only remember one that was any good but I cant remember its name. Not many around. And those that are normally blow.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There isn't that I know of, but I posted a challenge a long while ago for a fic like that, it can be found http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=1896 there.

I do like the idea. It would be a fascinating fic to read, but it would take a skilled author to write it well.

5. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I remember one story, completely forgotten the name and author though.

The final battle was near the forbidden forest, and Harry had boinked Hermione the night before. Harry kills Voldemort, but gets thrown fourteen or fifteen years into the future. He meets his daughter, does something with the new DA (I remember a duelling scene with two wands) and meets MILF!Hermione and goes to her house.

Don't have a clue what it was called though. Personally, I didn't think that it was too bad.

6. Klael

hahaha. that sounds like a nice idea--MILF!hermione. I knew it was a long shot, but i was hoping to find something along the lines of harry going farther into the future than within a period of time that he can be easily pointed out--something like 50-60 years in the future, when all his friends are out of the spotlight and he can do whatever harry wants to do...oh well.

7. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I have that fic somehwere, I will edit as soon as I can find it. It was abandoned but it was entertaining.

Edit: It's called Father's Daughter by Icedragonmo3

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1418595/1/

Like I said, it is entertaining and an idea I've been wanting to mess with for a while. Anyway, there you go~

EDIT: Sorry about double posting, it was a mistake. I fat fingered it or something.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2006
  8. Mordecai

High Score:
    That wasn't an edit, its was a double post.

9. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Not really time travel since he actually lived that long but....

www.fanfiction.net/kunglou

Once more the Underdogs - a HP/Bab5 fic

10. This I thought was quite good.

Title: 3003
    Author: Gilthas
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1667439/1/
    Summary: 1000 years after Harry Potter's death, he and his heroics have decended into legend, but when a group of magic users get carried away, only Harry Potter himself can stand against the newest resserection of the Dark Lord.

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    Its ok to start with, but its woeful later on.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What was that Warhammer 40k one where he gets placed in the Warp for 40,000 years? That's about as time-travelly as it gets and was a good fic as well.

13. Mordecai

High Score:
    Ummm....thats my fic Aekiel, and the next chapter is...coming, slowly.

14. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

It's more the logistics of traveling to the future bring up differing potential story lines. I've seen James and Lily come to the present a few times. But if you take Harry and launch him 15-20 years into the future, then is there an adult!Harry there? Or because of the time traveling has Harry Potter been missing for 15-20 years? Most I've seen do that. And usually he meets a daughter his age in the future that poor Hermione has had to raise on her own.

And if the plot involves discovering he's been gone for 15-20 years, then you know he's not going back in time (to the "present") or the characters and daughter get unmade from existence.

There's also the question of if Harry gets "frozen in time" from an errant spell or something similar, then when he's unfrozen in the future, has he traveled to the future? Or just missed out on the past and adapting to the new world he's in? (Think Futurama.)

I did a scene where the usual folks went a thousand years into the future and house-elves ruled the world with their enslaved house-wizards. But that's probably not what you're looking for.

Traveling to the past is far more popular and easy to write, because you're changing the events that readers know. The future you have to make up from scratch because no one knows them (or has considered the effects of changing them). That's why Marauders coming to present day HP world is probably the most common future time traveling. Additionally, knowledge of the past and a big gap depending on how far you travel, doesn't really effect the present or past. And even going back to the character's present, you won't really know if any of the changes are affecting the outcome of the future.

15. Klael

Yeah, see, I'm not so much looking for a hey-i've-missed-out-on-15/20-years-and-now-ive-gotta-get-caught-up type story, so much as im looking more for a oh-wow-i-seem-to-have-missed-a-century-somewhere-and-now-i-guess-i-should-figure-out-what-to-do-hey-is-that-kid-my-descendent?-wow-thats-wierd type story. i guess that it would have to be similar to the harry-falls-into-another-plain-of-existance-with-a-different-timeline-story.

speaking of which, i havent read a good one of those ever. i dont know why. it seems like anyone who's really good at writing just stays away from that whole area.

16. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Please don't use so many hyphens, DarkSov, because it distorts the page.

Now I'm done with being picky, I think this is a great idea, and Nonjon, I'm surprised you didn't mention BGE there. That one definitely qualifies.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorry about that Mordecai, i have a terrible memory for names/authors but i do remember your fic as being exceedingly good and a brilliant tribute to both HP & W40k (at this point :p).

Anyways, going to the future never really crossed my mind in a fic sense, its been limited to Mordecai's fic and Futurama respectively. Seems like a great idea otherwise, missing out on 10/100 years looks like a good way to leave Harry clueless - or having him go forward in time during his younger years and discovering himself as the new Dark Lord in town. Would make for an interesting battle, Harry vs. Harry in a battle to the death.

Aekiel

18. Klael

Yeah, come to think of it, for what im looking for id do much better with an alternate dimension (rather than divergent timeline) fic. ill look into that.