1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Fifth House by Christine Morgan - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Quill Runner, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Quill Runner

Quill Runner First Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Fifth House
    Author: Christine Morgan
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    Pairing: H/Hr
    Summary: A student is Sorted into a House no one's ever heard of, opening the way to a new mystery. But will girls and naughty pictures prove too distracting? Mature eyes only. Very long: 53,000 words.
    Link:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/578014/1/

This author's written two major HP fics, and I've enjoyed them both. This one's a blend of mystery, romance and humor.

The mystery has an Agatha Christie quality to it, which I like.
    The romance is also pretty light and avoids both angsting and sudden professions of love. There's also a seedy little Pansy-Malfoy scene that's great.

The only downside to the story is the lack of action/horror. I prefer stories with gore, preferably when Harry's doing the goring. There's a magical combat class, but it's only touched upon, and, while there's a bad guy and conflict, the resolution comes together a bit too easily.

There's also no Voldemort and no Death Eaters, and the story isn't interested in advancing the ongoing Harry vs. Voldemort plotline.

I also think the writing's pretty good.

There's also a series of vignettes in the story that have no purpose but which are amusing in their own right.

4/5.

QR

2. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Interesting. It's a good story. I'm not really sure who to point to and say, "He's the culprit!" in this story, so it gets a good mark for that. Other than that, it's an average story. 3.5/5

3. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Okay...I like it, but I just can't read the damned thing >_< The formatting is so damned terrible that it actually hurts to keep reading. I plowed through the first five chapters or so, but I had to stop because I've got a goddamned headache now. >_<

4. LegalAlien

LegalAlien Denarii Host

This is really a great story with an extraordinarily original plot!
    The end seems a bit rushed with everything happening in two chapters, but otherwise this story has a very "real" feeling to it.

4.5/5

5. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

I agree with yargh, really quite enjoyable fic but the formatting is terrible, pretty much ruins it. 3/5

6. jaspernoone

jaspernoone First Year

The formatting was terrible, so bad i was only able to read the first few lines then i gave up, migrain now, in the famous words of Yarrgh!, >_<

7. HardcoreHobbit

HardcoreHobbit Second Year

I agree with the problems with formatting. but I'm used to reading horrible text heavy articles for Uni, so I've been managing okay.

The story is good, but I'm getting towards the end and I have a feeling it's going to be quite fast paced.

4/5

8. Shuujaku

Shuujaku Fourth Year

Story was probably 3.5/5, but the formatting drags it back down to 3/5.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...It seems this is a good story, yet it's getting bad ratings because of the format. Maybe someone should contact the author and tell them?

10. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

I don't see the Agatha Christie-ness of it. Maybe the Poirot-ness, or the Miss Marple-ness, but not Agatha Christie-ness. :)

Moving on, I liked the first chapter, in which Marge brings her new beau over, just to have it turn out that it's Lockhart. She was so lucky he was Obliviated; otherwise she couldn't have stopped him from wanking in front of mirrors. Unfortunately for Marge, the mere mention of Harry Potter brings him right out of it.

3.5 / 5

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  11. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

Hmm

Actually I thought that part was rather funny. I have a hard time seeing Lockheart hooking up with marge though, especally considering the description of her in the Books. The Idea of another House was pretty decent, but as the others said the formatting was only so-so... all in all I'd give it about a 3.5/5
    I'd rate it at 4, but the formatting really does get to you after a couple of chapters.

as for Informing the author... I tried a couple of months ago, the response I go back was, um, Less then pleasent, and probably not Physically possible, but I got the impression that there had been a recent influx of complaints about it so...

{Shrug}

3.5/5