1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

anime

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by tsukasa, Dec 13, 2006.

1. tsukasa

tsukasa Guest

does anyone like digimon here?

tsukasa

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  2. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    Haha. The last digimon season I watched was the fourth one and that was like five-six years ago? I do think they're way better than pokemon, as in there's a semblance of a plot. Is digimon still airing?

Just as a side note, it's funny how your avatar's Tsukasa because I just handed in a 1500 word essay on .hack//SIGN. I'm taking a japanese animation class and all we do is watch anime and comment on it. I love that class. It makes me want to go to school.

3. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    What college is this, snufkin? I think I want to take that course.

4. snufkin

snufkin First Year

McGill University. Ever heard of Montreal, Canada? You can basically do a major in East Asian studies and spend half of three years watching tv. It's actually my elective class but I can tell you that people in the program are happy ones.

5. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    Well damnation. Thats pretty far away from me, I am down in Alabama, conservative central, and I doubt they will add an anime course for a long time. But on topic, I only liked the first season of Digimon, afterwards, it started being...not good.

6. snufkin

snufkin First Year

Alabama. Yup that's pretty far. No to go off topic or anything but I went down there a couple years back to go to Space Academy in Huntsville. Eating 'space' ice cream and pretending to be an astronaut was, at the time, the best thing that ever happened to young little me. lol.

Digimon had nice detailed graphics by the way. And you've got to admit that for a 'monster' show it wasn't as repetitive as some other unmentionable monster series. And although I forgot most of the series, I do remember those atrocious looking goggles worn by the main character that kept coming back in each season.

7. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

There's such a course at McGill?

And I'm spending my time at UBC taking computer science :mad:

8. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

oh wow. Digimon is one of my favorite anime ever. Much better than pokemon and actually has a plot unlike pokemon where you battle and earn badges. It gets repeadative and irritable.

Honestly the first season of digimon is and always will be my favorite. The other seasons are nothing compared to the first season with Tai and all the original characters.

On a side note i live in Brampton of near Toronto and looking for colleges. Know any place where they have classes like this in colleges?

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Eh, next time you make a topic be more specific than Anime, like "Digimon; The Anime" i gives people an idea of what to expect.

I liked the first two Digimon series, the original and the continuation of it, didn't really get into anything after that, I think I watched Tamer's for a bit but then that kind of fell through.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

No. I like anime's with good plots, and post-puberty voice actors.

Digimon and Pokemon are annoying for a few reasons, mostly the same:

Repititiveness.

Pre-pub voices.

Disturbing furry undertones.

Lack of deep plot.

Some of the anime I like myself: Trinity Blood, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, and Serial Expierements Lain.

11. Lunarian

Lunarian Third Year

I liked the first and second season of Digimon. I used to read tons of fanfiction of that, but lately I don't even look under that section anymore unless I am REALLY bored. Takeru was my favorite character, and when the new seasons didn't have him... well I didn't have much an interest in seeing them. I watched the first 2 episodes of the third season when it aired but it didn't catch my fancy. I am however lately contemplating watching the 3rd season so I can read fanfiction about it, mostly jeri and takato, that pair interests me.

12. snufkin

snufkin First Year

Well since we've got a nice list of anime and this thread is called anime, I'm going to keep on talking about anime. Wii (expressing happiness).

I watched Lain not long ago and it was such a psychotic experience I began to fear the faces hidden behind my screen. Lain is certainly not your average girl protagonist. She's got a cyberspace MPD and is sort of depressed looking the rest of the time. Her bear suit slash pyjama sort of scared me off though. Another surreal part was watching her walk down that blindingly bright street with the creepy red shadows. All in all, I think I spent half the thirteen episodes wondering if something was going to happen and the other half wondering if Lain was Lain or some sub-form of her personality. The end seemed appropriate though.

Anyone ever watched Elfen Lied? It's basically genetically-engineered girls who use the extra arms in their back to butcher people. And it's mixed with harem genre which makes the whole anime a truly bizzare mix of puppy-dog love and flying limbs.

13. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Yeah, I've seen that anime. Not the whole series though. There is a lot of limb loss in that show:) usually because of the phantom arms the two girls have. And yes, it had the weird fan favor sexual stuff, which completely crept up on me while I was watching an episode in a more public place than I should have. Suffice to say I was hitting the X pretty fast, before someone looked at my screen and was like: "Why are you watching a girl forcing a boy to fondle her?"

14. tsukasa

tsukasa Guest

Surarrin: Thank you for the constructive critism, it only occurred to me after I submitted the thread.
    Xipho: Thank you for your opinion, in some ways I know it is a little kiddish but it was one of the first animes that I liked
    Lunarian: Takeru is one of my favorite digimon characters too.
    Snufkin: Thank you for being the first to reply to my thread, there is currently no English version on tv but hopefully the fifth season will be out here next year. On your side note lol cool , so what did you think about .hack//SIGN.

tsukasa

15. snufkin

snufkin First Year

Haha. You don't want me to get started on .hack//SIGN but I'll spare you the deep analysis of girl pretending to be boy and the ethical sphere I bullshited on for my paper.

Honestly, I find .hack//SIGN is actually more like a MMORPG than an anime. The characters basically walk around, talk a lot and repeat what they know again. There's this huge lack of action and when they do fight, there's always a wall or falling column obstructing the image. I was sort of pissed off by the fact that Tsukasa never really did much. I mean, he had this illegal 'guardian' that basically overuled the game system and only used it so he could hide in his little corner of the world in the game. For the sake of the plotline, I wish Tsukasa had been a little more vindictive or meaner than his depressed persona.

On the other hand, the idea of being unable to log out of a virtual game was amazing and what attracted me to the show in the first place. But lack of action and slow development killed it for me. There's a lot of symbolism floating around but I won't get into it. It's bad enough I had to put it on paper once already lol.

Don't you find Tsukasa's obsession with the girl floating on the bed is slightly creepy? There's a lot of lesbian undertones in the show but that one was almost pedophilic.

Edit: To nuhuh: watching anime in public places will get you stoned.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  16. tsukasa

tsukasa Guest

snufkin: lol yeah I did find Tsukasa obsession with the floating girl on the bed a little creepy. Looking back I did find it a bit slow which is why now I prefer AU fanfictions more than the show.

tsukasa

17. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

I enjoyed the first two seasons. I watched a bit of the third season, but I quickly lost interest. After that, I don't know what became of the show.

Snufkin, that is one great class you're in. So lucky!

I loved Rurouni Kenshin and Ghost in the Shell.

18. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

heh! right you are, but considering where I was at the time, watching anime by itself wasn't the problem. It was more like I wouldn't ever be able to live it down if they saw me watching that particular scene.

Did you end up watching the full series, is it worth it?

I've watched Trigun, and Ghost in the Shell, I did enjoy the former more. The second Ghost in the Shell was visually simply gorgeous. Currently watching the Trinity Blood series.

Anyone seen Full Metal Panic? or Evangelion. The latter was my favorite series until the last couple of episodes.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Both. I disliked Eva about 30 episodes in. The angst got overwhelmingly consistent.

Full Metal Panic rules, but the art style reminds me of a hentai series.

The Samurai X OVA's sold me on RRK.

Ah. Most people I know started out with Dragonball :p.

I used to watch Pokemon, years ago, but I never considered it 'anime'.

20. snufkin

snufkin First Year

To nuhuh: I fastforwarded the Elfen Lied parts where lucy was acting brainlessly cute and skipped ahead to the fight scenes. If anything is worth watching, it's the fight scenes, mostly because they're like girl-catfighting gone extreme.

*I'd put a link to youtube but I don't remember in which episodes it was in. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure there's bloodshed in every eppy. And if there isn't, there's amusing body fondling for those who like that stuff. But if you're looking for a plot and sensible ideas, don't watch it all.

Yeah, Innocence was, visually, eye-catching. But the whole puppet master thing got me riled up. Did they seriously have to play the 'almost' same scene three times? I understand that the idea was to emphasize the guy's ability to hack into people's brains, but after watching them walk into the mansion for the third time...fastforward became my BFF.

Other than that, I think they should've shown some more of the Major. She's just so much more interesting intellectually than muscle-cyborg dude whose name I forgot. I liked the dolls-gone-psycho though. That first scene where she explodes was graphically - awesome - for lack of a better word.

Is Trinity Blood worth watching? Does religion really impinge on the show? And are the vampires more than just blood-lusting beasts? I'm asking because once I start watching I can't stop so I want to know what I'm in for before I'm going to go on a 12-hour Trinity Blood marathon.