1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry goes to Durmstrang!

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by The Duke, Dec 16, 2006.

1. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Yes I've checked the Dark lord library and searched through the piles of slash at ff.net but I have yet to see any story where Harry goes to Durmstrang. I have been reading fanfiction for about five years now and have yet to see one from this genre, so I'm now asking you guys if you have ever seen anything like what I'm asking about.

The Durmstrang school just seems like a completely untarnished area of fanfiction... unless I have completely missed like five thousand Harry/Durmstrang stories.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's hard to do another school unless you have time to create an entire atmosphere, an entire cast of characters, each with their own personality, history-Basically you'll spend more time creating info for the story then you would writing it.

3. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

I actually read one a while back, in which Harry atended it and the school had some sort of shadow ward or something can't remember. Can't recall the name either. Im surprised it hasn't been done more, I think i'd prefer that over a Beuxbatons one.

4. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Ya I understand ya Surarrin, but it has been done before with Beuxbatons with good results. My only problem is that Beuxbatons just seems so.... pussy and girly.

Hpsleuth11, your also right, its a very good place for a dark/independant Harry to start up.

5. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Durmstrang is renowned to be secretive. So the chances of Harry ending up there without a good enough reason are very small.

I once read a fic where Harry!Genius actively seeks out all possible schools he can and spends time learning whatever he can pick up from those schools before going to the next one. Sadly the author abandoned it and later deleted it from his profile.

6. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

A Second Chance at Life by Miranda Flairgold

A really good story where Harry leaves Hogwarts (well, Dumbledore's dead) and goes to another school to prepare himself to fight the Dark Lord.

The author not only created a new school, but a nearly whole universe. It's one of the best fanfictions I've ever read so far IMO. Just after Joe6991's, RossWrock's and Louis XIV's 'Mastermind Hunting'.

Beauxbâtons... means Beautiful Sticks. It'd make you wonder what J.K.Rowling was thinking when she came up with that name. Wands? But which sort of wands then?

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never fear, for Taure, who holds all knowledge of fanfiction, is here!

To Rise from the Ashes

Unfortunately it is not only abandoned but also extraordinarily short.

Oh well.

As for other "Harry doesn't go to Hogwarts" stories, the best is Anarkia, which has a very Durmstrang-like feel (or at least what you would expect a Durmstrangish feel to be).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Here's an old abandoned one where post-GOF Harry gets exiled from England. It has the "shadowsilk" wards over Durmstrang.

Wisdom From The Dark by Jyrnn
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1269694/1/
    Alternate 5th Year: A child has suffered enough, an intruder encounters unexpected resistance, and the careless words of Voldemort have the most unexpected results. Harry Potter is about to take a stand. Durmstrang will offer much mystery
    Harry Potter - Fiction Rated: T - English - Action/Adventure/Suspense - Chapters: 22 - Words: 43360 - Reviews: 370 - Updated: 4-22-04 - Published: 3-15-03

And there was one other I remembered liking but can't seem to locate. In that one I think Harry went to Azkaban, was released, and supposedly was "forced" to finish schooling. He disappeared and went to Durmstrang rather than deal with Hogwarts. This is discovered because they have the tri-wizard tournament again but this time Harry Potter is the Durmstrang Champion. Someone else probably knows that one.

9. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Inky, I've read the first half of "A Second Chance at Life" already,
    it was an excellent story but just not my cup o' tea.
    Thanks for the recommendation though.

Taure and Nonjon, thanks for the pointers guys
    my only problem with those stories is that they are abandoned
    and I just can't read abandoned stories, it brings back memories of the
    frigg'n 10 year waits between the newest
    Stephen King "dark Tower" books.

As to the story "Anarkia"... One of my favorite stories ever. Period.
    At least in the top five catagory.
    I just wish that Naia updated more, she is such a good author
    but spends all of her time on stories like "Dance!". I mean, what the hell?!

10. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Actually, the direct translation is pretty wands (beaux is masculine attractive, plural, and batons is wands. Think of a baton). But I don't think that we're in any kind of a position to be making fun of its name, considering that Harry goes to a school called Hogwarts.

11. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

So what? Hogwarts is, in Cervus' immortal words, a fine manly and ungay name. While Beauxbatons is Unmanly and Gay.

12. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

I was under the impression that Beauxbatons was an all female school, in which case the prettiness would be more acceptable.

13. BartucTheBloody

BartucTheBloody Third Year

Beauxbatons is only all female in the movie. In the book, Parvati and Padma leave Harry and Ron to go dance with some boys from Beauxbatons.

14. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

lol, thats all I have to say.

15. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    In the movie Durmstrang is all boys as well, all boys that can break dance.

Beauxbatons girls in the movie, are teh sexy though.