1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Aristocrat Harry!

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Anarual, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

There are not ebough stories of this kind if you ask me.
    Arranged marriage story titles also welcome
    Please post the story titles here :
    Happy red prince
    Back to the future
    L'Esprit de Hadrian
    A PotterBlack's role in life
    The Prince he was

2. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Hmmm...use the spell check.

I say, include the links.

Somehow most Aristo!Harry turn out to be H/G Fluffiness with Harry having ten times the gold then Bill Gates. Which is definitely not cool.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

"Reign of Darkness" is the best one I can think of ATM.

4. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

5. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Aristocrat Harry is a seldom-used idea, mostly because the idea of an aristocrat is pretty anethema to a person's idea of Harry Potter. Also, I'm not entirely sure about what percentage of people are American here, but I know that one aspect of our culture, popular and otherwise, is that the image of the aristocrat is pretty repulsive. I doubt that it would be very easy for an aristocrat!harry fanfic to survive without making him seem like a pompous ass.

6. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Personaly, I think aristocrats are the cream of every society. In short, having nothing to do, they're free to receive an all-round education, play politics and enjoy themselves in the most inventive ways; what's there more one have to wish?

Fuck, they're like DLP forum members in HP community in the aspect of intelligence; and including all DLP problems, like concurrent dissolute indulgences (Sick and Perverse side), and growing population (hence, vulgarization).

As to aristocrat!Harry stories, I have yet to see one with good conflict in it. Like, moral struggles that come with position. Or desperation that comes with hopeless attempts to preserve the old ways in the rapidly degenerating society. Watching the ways of life, as you know it, die with senescent nobility, overflow of vulgar upstarts in their midst (hence, the ever-present class tension); watching, in impotent rage, as selfish individuals, lost in countless intrigues, having concerns only for their own survival, do nothing to change the situation for the better.

This is what I'd like to read about, and that's why I think that it is impossible to write a canonish story centered on aristocrat!Harry. Harry didn't grow as one of the purebloods, and thus cannot understand their concerns. Not mentioning he's fucking dumbass in canon.

I long wanted to write/read a story about Draco Malfoy in book six actually, where there was a rather interesting conflict: he learned he would have to make a no-win choice, and this situation, in one day, made him mature into a completely different person that he was in earlier books.

About this choice in that hypothetical story; siding with Dumbledore, he would preserve his morality, but would become something-like disowned: lose his name, money, entry to the usual society circles, connections, influence, attention of the media, wouldn't have a chance to make a political career; and, most probably, would be hunted down and, in the end, killed by the Death Eaters. Furthermore, Dumbledore would use him in any way he could and, when he wouldn't be needed anymore, would chuck him away (he would become something like Snape, unwanted and untrusted). In short, siding with Dumbledore, he would lose everything, his very foundation of life.

On the other hand, killing Dumbledore would, at first sight, solve his every problemm, but: he would be left depressed (doing something which is against one's essence is rather depressing endeed), and then he would become an outlaw until Voldemort's victory, and still he would have to survive long anough to see it, which is no small feat.

His best choise is to stall making a choice at all, long enough to gain independence from his Father, make his own friends and connections.

Accomplishing that, the choice of siding with Dumbledore would become easier, as he would only become wanted by Voldemort. Still, when he would outlive his usefulness, Dumbledore would abandon him anyway, he would be still unwanted and untrusted in Dumbledore's ranks.

And siding with Voldemort in this situation (if independence would come to him from somehow disposing of his Father) would be safer, as Voldemort would badly need his money. Heck, Dumbledore would need his money, too.

Not pledging allegiances at all is the best strategy, as it is unknown who will win in the end, and siding with anyone means spreading your resources too thin. Sadly, seeing as the book ended, he didn't have a luxury of remaining neutral.

I should say, to avoid misunderstanding, that in previous years he <i>was</i> neutral; all his actions were nothing but childish bragging. A child didn't have ferocity enough to kill somebody in cold blood, no matter what he say.

And there is another person, Theodore Nott, and altogether different hypothetical story, as Theodore didn't have to kill anyone just yet. And he's no less a pureblood than Draco Malfoy is. So, Nott could become the old-fashioned gentleman watching the old world die that I was talking about earlier.

OK, I think that's all. So, um, maybe make it a challenge then?

7. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    Who is Reign of Darkness by?

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Sorry, my bad. It's Reign of Power, by Fayr Warning.

9. liansk

liansk Second Year