1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Boondock Saints by Kalistar - M - HP/Boondock Saints

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by yojorocks, Dec 28, 2006.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Boondock Saints
    Author: Kalistar
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
    DLP Category: The Alternate's
    Pairing: N/A so far
    Chapters: 17
    Words: 112,578
    Updated: May 15, 2007
    Published: Sep 25, 2006

Summary: AU Abandoned on the streets of Dublin. Ignorant of the wizarding world, what will they do after finding out that their savior is on a mission to bring retribution to evil in the world as one of the Saints of South Boston? Crossover with the Boondock Saint
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3168612/1/

A nice, fresh crossover that I ran across this afternoon; some may dislike it due to the mainly muggle portrayal of Harry, not to mention the fact that the author ignored the typical crossover years of Hogwarts, but I found that Religious-Zealot!Harry was actually carried out quite well. Sure, it seems a little bloodthirsty at times, but is overall very well written. Note: you really need at least a passing familiarity with the movie Boondock Saints. It seems to try to follow a pretty original storyline, and is not a crossover that I have ever encountered before. It's a moderate length read so far, but is ongoing. I would say 4.5/5 for a great story and cold-blooded killing, but I have to knock it down to a 3.5/5 for Muggle!Harry (so far, but that may change in the next chapter or two).

Checked by Minion, June 28, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

2/5

Author is muggle-lover, vastly underistimated wizards.

3. Zield

Zield Fourth Year

I tried to read this about two weeks ago with no luck. I only skimmed through the first chapter but a lot of the dialogue is just copied right from the movie that I couldn't stand it.

It may be better for someone who hasn't seen the movie but if you have then wouldn't recommend reading it.

1.5/5

4. mielterron

mielterron Second Year

Wizards are much more capable and I find muggle loving and religious zeal distasteful. (2/5)

5. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

the movie was only mediocre at best so i cant imagine a fanfiction crossover with the movie being any better. and why do i feel like ive reviewed this before. i dunno.

6. Ray

Ray Second Year

I've always wanted zealot!Harry, but this fic fails at it.

2/5

7. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Hey!

Harry-Of-Arc!

The Russian Mafia, the "Hey, looki me, I'm a CATHOLIC IRISH!", vigilante bullshit, and the Archangel giving Harry and his brothers "God's will" (to kill burglars) was too much for me.

2/5

8. The_Banisher

The_Banisher First Year

Tolerable... not much else to say. It could have been written much, much better but it has its moments. 2.5/5.

9. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

Meh, its not interesting in the least. This is unusual considering that the author usually seems to write rather well. Spelling and grammar are okay but thats about all the author managed to get right. 1.5/5

10. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

I agree that this is some of the weakest performance I've seen from the author, who is also in the midst of writing Harry Potter and the Dying Embers, which is one of the better HPxSW x-overs I've seen out there, up there with Lord Merrill's (HP&tDE gets bonus points because of regular updates).

I personally liked the Boondock Saints, since some of the actions scenes were extremely good, and Willem Dafoe is great, so it's especially depressing to me that this is so mediocre.

The religion in the fic is pretty mild, and doesn't add onto anything from the Boondock saints, except for the archangel (Michael?) which never comes up in the Boondock Saints. Part of the appeal of a Boondock Saints / HP crossover that I thought of when I saw this was that they are both absurdly lucky, especially with the rope trick, and HP not dying, but that doesn't come into play at all, it seems like he's a pro.

I would be very amused if Harry/Kevin & his brothers shot a Jew and searched his body for horns, but this doesn't really seem to be trying to portray religious zealot! Harry. I've seen more religious fics from HP/Hellsing x-overs. I'm an atheist, but after realizing the stupid things that religion makes people do (the crusades, 9/11, the holocaust, and the takeover of Israel (and also the invasion of Canaan)), I'm always pretty excited to see religion play a large part in stories.

I'll say 3/5, because at least it doesn't have horrible grammar and such.

11. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I liked Boondock Saints the movie, but I don't have even the littlest bit of interest for this fic (not that any crossover would have an easy sailing with me).

I tried reading the first two chapters a while back, when they just came out, and the only thing I saw was a stupid mixture of Irish muggles and incompetent wizards - not a trace of the semi-religious vigilante atmosphere from the movie. This is definitely the wrong way to go with making a crossover with this setting. Kalistar should have taken the IDEAS from Boondock Saints and integrated them into the HP setting (lucky!Harry who got it into his head it's his mission to right all the injustices in the world), instead of trying to mix these two worlds together with his standard "HP wizards are stupid" duck tape he uses in his every crossover.

In the end, good grammar and writing style makes this story readable, but the plot and ideas behind it don't give me much reason to do so. Generally, a very disappointing blunder from a reputable author.
    2.5/5

12. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I dunno. The fic itself is well written, and if you're able to tolerate that Harry won't be using magic for a while, then it's a good read.

The Archangel bit was interesting, IMO...if Super!Harry can have Merlin tell him to do shit, why not an Archangel? Kalistar's work hasn't always been a favorite of mine, but I like this fic.

Based on quality, how harcore Harry is and how much more hardcore he will be once he learns magic...I'd say it's a good fic.

4/5.

13. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I agree

4/5

14. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I liked it. straight and to the point. yes we have the whole 'Lack of Magic at the moment' thing, but the simple fact that we're not going to have to endure any whiney Emo!Harry Bullshit is more than enough to make up for it. The fact that {Spoiler Warning}

My only hope is that he kicks ron in the balls, and offs draco. I don't know why but I am increasingly seeing ron as a useless character... I have for a while now and HBP only re-inforced this Idea...

anyways, 4/5

15. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Maybe because he's been a 3rd leg since 3rd year and a Judas since 4th?

16. Kalistar

Kalistar First Year

I know it looks like it's a muggle kicks the wizard's ass story but that will be changing in the next couple of chapters. The only reason they have been so successful up to now is because the wizards have been taken by surprise. The smarter ones will adapt and things will become more difficult for Harry & Co.

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I found this the other day and gave it a try.

There are a couple of things I can stomach and ignore like the premise if the story based on it is good. Ok, so Harry had a dream and now is able to see if people are evil and need to be killed. He and his brothers are assassins on behalf of God.

The really bad part of the story is the wizarding world, culminating in this version of manipulative!Dumbledore. He is a mixture of bad clichés and lost the plot long ago.

He wouldn't hesitate to do almost everything to get his hands on Harry, fanatically believing in the prophecy, but at the same time and right after the murder of the whole Weasley family his goal is "bringing the Death Eaters back to the Light."

His manipulations are rather dumb, and thus the wizarding world is divided in even dumber people falling for it (the Weasleys and most of the Order) and brilliant people ignoring him or even working against him (Amelia Bones, Bill and Charlie, Mad-Eye).

The author is trying to describe the inner conflicts of people like Remus Lupin, who is torn between his loyalty towards Sirius and the Potters and Dumbledore. It's done half heartedly, the characters are flat and rather bipolar than torn.

The only character even halfway interesting is Sirius, who was found to be innocent and was released, left the wizarding world and lives as a Muggle. While I can't picture canon!Sirius living that way, it's an interesting idea though one which has been done before.

I rate it 2/5.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010