1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Cult of Personality by tradiferis - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Raijin, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Title: Cult of Personality
    Author: tradiferis
    Rating: K
    Genre: Romance/General
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Padma
    Words: 3,603
    Published: December 28, 2006

Summary: Gilderoy Lockhart had one, as did Grindelwald, and Voldemort. Now Harry Potter has one as well. HarryPadma. PostHBP. Oneshot.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3313331/1/

Eh the story is pretty much decent but since I imagine there are quite a few of us who like the rairer pairings I thought I'd post this for the record. As a side note the author may be planning to flesh out the story('Not exactly sure how much enjoyment I'd get out of it but it might be decent').

Checked by Minion, Nov. 17, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Didn't So Sue me by Lunakatrina give the idea of the Cult of Ravenclaw in the first place? This seems like a rip off.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's called the Cult of Personality. o_O

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Nice little ficlet. Rostam, at least read the fic before you bash it. 4.5/5

5. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Yeah, that was a little stupid of me. I saw that he posted for the title Cult of Ravenclaw and immediately thought of So Sue me.

As for the story:

The beginning was a little annoying, and the whole time I felt something was off. As I got closer to the end, it got a lot better. Very nice job in finishing it off and showing his emotional problems.

3.5/5. The beginning need's some fixing. Just something about it rubs me the wrong way.

6. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

For some reason, I really didn't want to like this, but I did anyway. 4/5, it's a nice little fic, and I like it for some reason.

7. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

It was not bad... makes me happy that the author didn't decide to give up writing completely...
    A pretty good re-entry back into FF.
    Harry's facade is done fairly well...and those perceptive little Ravenclaws...
    :D
    4.5/5

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Pretty good story, I suppose. Not my cup of tea, but decent enough. 3.5/5

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Very interesting. Crying bottled-up emotions Harry has never seemed so... palatable. Usually that's the easiest way to turn an average fic into crap. Didn't bother me too much here.

Though I must say, as I was reading it I was imagining the fic going in a completely different direction.

Considering the mystery of the defeat and Harry's miraculous turn into a super-wizard, I was hoping that Voldemort and Harry joined together in some form. A merging of personalities (title reference) and powers, and with the prophecy, the unified being arguably becoming immortal, Voldie's premiere goal. By keeping the Harry Potter persona, they have the world in the palm of their hand, and Harry's innate 'goodness' required or countered the 'evilness' of Voldemort into agreeing to not attempt forceful violent takeovers, saving their vicious streak exclusively for enemies expecting it. And they'd take over the world in a far more Slytherin way. First through PR work, then reforming society, influencing politics, becoming the immortal legend Voldemort wanted to be but utilizing Harry's conscience to get there.

It all seemed to fit so well the attitude and handling of things, not to mention opening up all sorts of fic directions... but that's what happens when your mind wanders in mid-scene.

The Padma 1st person POV was kinda annoying, especially that dern repeated phrase that has no... gumption. No panache. "I'm perceptive. I'm in Ravenclaw. Deal with it." It does nothing for me. That and the phrase/title "Cult of Personality" feels lacking. I keep picturing those wretched dreadlocks and neon clothes as "Living Colour" sings the song, but even without them, the phrase doesn't ring anything really resonate with me. The idea of associating Lockhart, Grindelwald, and Voldemort with Harry while leaving out Dumbledore seems odd too. It seems primarily to be about manufacturing the image people want from you to ensure you can get whatever you want from them, whether its to be liked or feared. And Albus did it as good as Voldemort. Lockhart fried his own brain, so he's a bit harder to take seriously.

Anyways, certainly an interesting idea and ficlet. 4/5

10. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It was... Different.

I don't know if I can fit 'Mr. Popularity' Harry Being perceptive enough to read that much about her from her look
    This seems a bit extreame considering that they had ONE class together.

Still, Not bad overall. 4/5

11. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Very nicely done oneshot, though I am surprised about Ron and Hermione accepting Harry that easily: Ron's jealousy should have been addressed somehow and Hermione seems to get a copout. Overall, very well done, even if the arrogance that Padma has is a bit overplayed and I have trouble with seeing Harry confess everything like that. 4/5

12. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Mushy, changes tense, and needs a beta. Interesting idea, however. This level of exposition with a larger than life character is reminiscent of Poe. I have to admit that I went into this story hoping that I wouldn't like it, and I wouldn't say that I didn't like it, but I wouldn't say that I liked it, either. It's mediocre at best. 2.5/5, I'll vote for a 3/5.

13. Hesuse Christe

Hesuse Christe First Year

Good, but not to good. 3.5

14. BlackEaglejs

BlackEaglejs Squib

Well, Its a fascinating read, but I see a problem. I don't really see how it is a pairing, I see Harry and Padma talking, as friends, but that really doesnt amount to a romantic relationship. What I see is a great amount of potential of a story that this could turn into. 3.5

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  15. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

It's an interesting read, a good way to waist 5 minutes of your life, could have potential but it's too short and as BlackEaglejs mentioned it just doesn't seem like there could be any romance between the two.