1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New PC done =)

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Cost after Sales tax $1600 for the main components

Case 150$

[​IMG]

Cpu = Core 2 duo e6600 380$ stock speed 2.4ghz. My speed = 3.3 (1.3volts) 3.7ghz (1.5volts) on AIR. Idle 38C, Load 58C depending on voltages.

RAM = 2GB (1gbx2) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 350$
    Timings 4-4-4-8 @ 1200mhz 2.2volts

[​IMG]

Power Supply 120$
    Apevia Iceburg 680 watt w/ith light up fans and clear top
    [​IMG]

Limited edition ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT heatsink 70$
    [​IMG]

7900GS KO PCI-E videocard (stock speed 450MHz core/1320MHz) my speed (590MHz core /1560MHz memory !!!)
    [​IMG]

keyboard g15 + mx1000 wireless mouse $130
    [​IMG]

Bottom line, this thing fucking rocks

7760 mb/sec memory bandwidth w/ 4-4-4-8 @2.2v @ 1100mhz 2t w/ cpu @ 3.37 @ 1.3v gives me an Aquamark score of 148,111 !!!

3D06: scored 5600 w/ Ge7900gsKO 91.47 Driver

Those scores are higher by far then my friend who has the AMD fx-62 and latest ram, and that poor bastard spend 700$ on his chip and 500$ on his ram, lmao!

it takes alot to make me happy, but I'm drooling. I worked my ass off this summer, so now it's time to play through the winter =) I'll throw up some completed shots when the heatsink comes in the mail, I'm using a Zalman 9500 atm, the stock Intel one was absolute bullshit.

I'll be stepping up to the 8800gtx unless they release something better in the next 87 days, wanted to wait to see what the next line of cards was like from Nvidia. I play bf2142 @ max settings w/ 2x FSAA at 80-90 fps with no drop, Oblivion maxed with no AA sits at 60ish on a large outdoor scene with tons of grass.

Once I step up to the DX10 card, I should be set for the next 2-3ish years to run maxed out, then another 2-3 as upper middle, then a few more as lower middle, ah I love finally being able to upgrade to top of the line stuff, instead of constantly getting the bargin basement shit and upgrading small parts

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. Krull

Krull Denarii Host

Can I throw myself on my hands and knees and worship your computer?

3. Midknight

As long as you don't try to stick anything into any spare slots you'll be good

Edit: Trojan tests their condoms by electrocuting them, so if you do want to go slot poking, slip one of those on!, lol

4. mcatrage

mcatrage Raptured to Hell

Can I come and steal that from you?

Beautiful by the way, I really like that case. I don't have that much to spend so when I finally build my new computer this summer I'll probably get something without windows.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Mid. I'm sorry, I have to leave you for that hunk of a machine you have there. :p

6. Midknight

7. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Mid, if I paid you the cost, would you build one of those for me? And then mail it to me? I'm absolutely drooling over that computer.

8. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    RAM = Crucial Ballistix Tracer 350$

I think I'm missing something here, I was under the impression that RAM came in sticks of multiples of 256.

Is this something new or just a name brand RAM.

9. HomicidalPsychoJungleCat

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Fifth Year

Are you gonna stick another vid card in and run SLI eventually? (that's how it works right? lol)

10. Midknight

It's 2GB worth of Crucial's Ballistix Tracer Dual Channel kit, the 350$ is the cost in US dollars.

No IMHO SLI sucks. You need software that can utilize SLI, which no one tells you, isnt exactly every game released. Alot of new stuff have SLI optimizations, but there's plenty of games that'll only use one card, so more often then not, you're better off just going up to a faster single card.

I got the 7900gz ko, b/c it was the best card tigerdirect had available at the store at that time, that I could afford, and still pick up my motherboard I wanted. I'll be using the eVGA stepup program and either going to a 8800gtx, or another card Nvidia makes that maybe better.

The reason I got a SLI board however, is in the future if they do have widespread good support, AND they expand more on the physics capabilities the Nvidia/Physix cards have. (Nvidia is saying the third PCI-E slot is for physics, eagerly waiting to see what they do)

www.newegg.com ships almost anywhere, best prices out 99% of the time, fast shipping! I paid around 200-300$ extra, simply because I had a spur of the moment impulse to finish the PC, heh.

11. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

RAM doesn't come in sticks of only 256MB. Throughout history is has worked up from MB-2MB-4MB-8MB-16MB-32MB-64MB-128MB-256MB-512MB-1024MB-2048MB and so on into the future. Thats how Computer technology works regards memory increments due to the number system they are based on. the whole 1024 KB to a MB etc etc etc.

The motherboard in my opinon looks to be very cramped regards PCI slots for other cards. I can see both the PCI-E slots being complete bitches and hogging up the space that the PCI slots require. So basically only something like a sound card would be applicable to that motherboard, with no much more room for expansion for say TV tuners etc in the PCI slots.

I'm not a fan of wireless keyboards and mice, although the blue backlight on your keyboard does look appealing. Wireless == Batteries == failure at high up LAN parties == failure to win prizes. Even rechargable ones still die in those circumstances. 72 hours of gaming would kill the batterier pretty quick and of course they fail just as you are going to need one kill to win the match.

What monitor are you running on it?
    I'm dreaming at the moment of dual 19" LCD monitors with responce times of less than 5ms... Someday.

12. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I have a similar system (even the eVGA nForce 680i SLI), and believe me when I say they're well worth the price, which is admittedly low. The kind of performance you can coax out of these is comparable (relatively, there's no way older stuff could outstrip this) to what $3000 used to get you. I have a hard time maxing out my E6600 or RAM. There isn't much these systems won't do. Great buy, and make a good learning experience if you're not too versed in building systems.

Throw some Arctic Silver 5 on that list for $5 at Newegg, some cleaner for the CPU heatspreader (90% alcohol, or better yet Arctic Silver cleaner) and you're set.

Edit: RAM comes in powers of 2.

13. se7en

se7en Professor

Artic silver five saves lives

14. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Nice vid card there mid. I run a 7800 myself and so far it has served me well. I have had it for over a year now, and I can still play anything at max settings.

15. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    I know that... But the Ram in his computer has a name, not just, 1gb of ram, and I have no clue what that is.

Edit: Ahaha, I forgot about google.

16. Midknight

It fits stuff just fine, unless you get the monstrous cards with the double slots.

My mouse recharges super fast, and is very energy conservative, a full charge lasts me 3-4 days, and only takes mybe a hour tops to fill up. There's zero lag with it as well, which kicks ass, even from 30 feet away through walls.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  17. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Aye, Middy, but I can't build a computer for shit.

18. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Nice computer, but I like my computers silent and discrete so if you had bought a different case it would have been a 5/5. Not too expensive either compared to prices in Sweden. If you bought it here you would probably had to add another 100$ or two.

I don't play games so I will wait a year or two before buying my next computer, but I really want to buy one now after seeing you new computer.​

19. Midknight

It's pretty quiet Zev, the point of the case is, it's the best air cooling case out now, when I went from the other case I had to this it took 8-10 degrees right off like it was nothing. It was pretty much the equivilant of going to medium quality water cooling in my other case.

And yeah I'm not gaming much b/c I dont have time, this upgrade was prompted by my friend's fx-62, and seeing how well he could run BF2142, so I had a bit of jealousy and wanted to hang with it, heh.

20. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Nice to hear. The two fans in front looked like afterburners on a fighter so I thought they were loud. :)