1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Imposter by IP82 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lutris, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Title: The Imposter
    Author: IP82
    Rating: M
    Summary: ONE-SHOT! Years after Voldemort's defeat, Harry's a pro Quiditch player and a playboy. In a pause of radio interview, something unexpected happens... (taken from FF.net)
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2599651/1/

Right. Second fic posted in two days. And by the same author no less.
    anyhoo, one-shot, not sure whether this should go in the S&P area, but its only just disturbing, really, so here it came. its really good- makes you think about a lot of things. so give it a shot.

2. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Okie...*rant start* ...except some of us aren't fans of wussy Harry, especially one where he gets axed. And in this one, he's dumb as a doornob (and I don't see any actual indications of him being a playboy - lockerroom gossip doesn't count) for not sensing the poison or what not.

And about his other story. This guy has "DARK! but not EVIL! Harry" in its summary and I feel like I want to bang my head. I swear, I'm going to have Harry force Dumby and Voldie mind rape each other in my story if this goes on....*end rant*

That said, personal interpretations aside, the guy certainly is no fourth grader. Decent plot, lengthy chapters, well thought out events (interesting explanation for how Harry co-opted the goblin), no massive spelling/grammar errors, which is a plus in my book cause I can't do it...but that only goes so far...

oh well, his long piece is decent if you want another piece on the run of the mill Harry rebels theme... but the short one fic really blows.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've just seen this post, never expected to find a whole thread dedicated to my sily 6,000 words one shot story. Oh, well...

It's just a stupid one-shot, for crying outloud! This is not about realistic character development, or Harry's character at all. It's just a plot bunny wrapped around some story. You're taking it way too seriously.

You can't seriously expect Harry to transform from a Gryffindor golden-boy, to a brooding dark goth-guy, or a raging madman or whatever the hell you imagine a proper "dark" wizard should look like, in span of 4 weeks? Harry will start using "dark" magic in the next chapter, but I'll never have him threating, raging and generaly acting like a jerk just because he's considered "dark".

I don't like stories where Harry rants and yells all the time. For a powerful wizard, it's patethic really, just shows helplessness and weakness.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

::nods head vigorously::

Thank you IP82, that needed to be said.

5. LINKed up

LINKed up Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

A certain place in a certain area of space-time, a
    i didn't really like this fic. I just couldn't finish it.

6. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I thought it was interesting and vaguely amusing, and certainly well done, but I couldn't understand what was happening. *frowns*

Did Harry actually die and his twin squib brother take his place? I thought so, but it keeps messing with my head.

Otherwise, I thought it was a brilliant piece of work. Creepy.

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, there's a name-switch; after Harry dies, his brother 'becomes' Harry.

8. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

Ah, right.

I think I like the squib better than the real Harry Potter.

As I said before: Creepy, but I like it.

9. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

So I've read this story before, but I decided to reread it again for this review. It's a one-shot with a good length.

So Harry Potter wins the game for his team. We get the reactions in the locker room after.

Harry's a Sex God/Natural Born Leader. Then Harry ends up stuck in doing an interview.

Of course, anyone who could tell that Harry isn't the real Harry in the future.

Evil!Dumbledore, Rawr!

Holy Plot Hole Batman!

Uhm, why the hell was he not taken along with Harry?

Uhm, if you have to use the movie Twins to explain, probably shouldn't be using that plot. Also, why did Sirius, Remus, or anyone else not mention this fact to Harry? If they were twins, then one of them would of had informed Harry he had a twin brother.

Of course, he got in the middle of some bullshit fight between Death Eaters and Aurors. He got hit with an revealer charm which took away the glamour. However, it still doesn't explain why nobody brought this incident to Harry's attention beforehand or Harry didn't see it beforehand. Which leaves a plothole the size of the Grand Canyon open.

Of course, a Squib was able to beat Harry. A fake scar? Butterbear laced with the stuff?

Of course, lets make this character justifiable. I mean holy fuck, Harry would of helped him out. This is another plot hole the gaping size of Texas as this reasoning is as crazy as the character.

Also, this brother just expects to retire from all magical clubs, etc while expecting nobody to ask him to do magic ever again. Better hope there's not another Dark Lord uprising or you're fucked buddy.

The author quickly realizes this plot hole and tries to patch it up to his best ability. However, the cliche magical object to help him continue the lie is cliche. If you need long winded explanations to show how this situation won't be an entirely a fuckup then you have become J.K Rowling with the end of DH which is no good.

Also, "Harry" good luck with those Dark Lords looking to make a name for themselves with taking out the Great Harry Potter.

Honestly, the idea and story is nice if you can ignore the gaping plot hole and cliches the size of texas. This reader cannot, so I give this story a 2/5 because of the writing that although had some errors was still written well enough.