1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Innovative Fanfiction Story

Discussion in 'Award Winners 2007' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Feb 4, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Best Innovative Fanfiction Story

[​IMG]

1st Place: Bungle in the Jungle: A Harry Potter Adventure by jbern
    2nd Place: Queens of Darkness, Ladies of Light by Thalarian
    3rd Place: Potter's Resistance 1: Breaking Ties by IP82

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Wow, this is a surprise. Didn't expect to get a place.

Congrats to Jim and Thalarian.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

This is getting a little ridiculous. I was sure Thalarian would take this award, easy.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Out of all the awards he won, I'd say that jbern was most deserving of this one.

Writing a story in second person is truly innovative: something that not even published authors attempt. To succeed is even rarer.

Congrats.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

He should have. TFTCD isn't innovative. TBH, neither was Thal's but it was moreso than Jberns. I voted Thal. Fuck the rest. This Jbern fappery party is over. I negate all of his stories. Thal wins. Fuck you all.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That may be so, which is probably why it hadn't been nominated in the first place.

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Meh, so I didnt read the noms before posting. WtFs the difference? Its all a Jbern cocksucking fest as it is.

Oh and:

( Amerision ) Vash: I love the subtle Jbern hate
    ( FoxXy|Vashy ) Subtle? PFFT. Subtlety is for Scotts!

Just to prove I am being a belligerant ass.

8. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Most innovative point of view to be sure but there is nothing really groundbreaking otherwise.

The runes are nice yes but Harry going abroad meeting up with a bunch of Kookie adventurers with much hi jinx ensuing does not an innovative story make.

9. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Thanks again to all those who voted for the story. I set out to do a story with from the second person point of view. It still only gets about 2/3 the reads of TFTCD, but it gets more reviews and more reviews beyond the usual Update Soon ones.

For the story, I went in depth on Runes and Cursebreaking by actually trying to describe the mechanics of how they work. I tried a new approach to the take a couple of potions, draw a picture of your form and begin partial transformations and poof Animagus! Luna was also supposed to be an Animagus, but all the smart people who help me with the story convinced me that that was a massive Mary Sue alarm. With Luna being sane, it occured to me that few people can write a good canon Luna. Nonjon and a couple of others come to mind, but the list is damn short. One of the most intersting things was to be able to modify good old Dodgeball into a believable sport in the Wizarding World.

Jim

10. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Congrats with the win, Jbern, not that I thought the results would be any different. And congrats to Thal and ip82- you're stories are great and it shows here in the results.

Say, I suppose you could put a little subheading on your summaries now.
    "Voted 2nd in the DLP 2007 Story of the Year"

Cmon people, think of the advertising possibilities!

11. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

I consider innovative plot devices things that advance the story. While your dodgeball transformation was fun it didn't advance the story.

I didn't mention the Animingus facet because I found the whole becoming an Animingus chapters very boring. The outcome was nice and using the Animingus to save his life was nice as well but it seems overpowered. When a Jaguar is jumping at someone whats to stop them meeting it head first with a Reducto.

Luna is the reason I didn't vote for this story, I strongly dislike her role in this story and it makes less enjoyable for me, the worst part of a fic that I do actually enjoy. Playing a prank her whole life... Then being a total cunt for a month. You try to make he different then most people but kind of shoot the whole thing to shit by trying to add drama where it's not needed.

And what innovative about Dumblefuck, really?

12. carl

carl Seventh Year

Grats to all. No need to be a bitch Craven.

13. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Horrible choice for the award. It'd be interesting to know how many people with less than ten votes voted and how many who registered within the month of January voted just for the sake of it.

I clarified a long time ago and was too busy being nice to point out that the awards were broken down into two categories - character and story awards. The original story awards were restricted to 4 or 5 (Noir, Newcomer, Fantastical and Best of the Year) and it was specified that you couldn't be nominated for both Noir and Fantastical and Best of the Year and Newcomer. You could only be nominated for ONE of the three - Newcomer, Noir and Fantastical - and be nominated for Best of the Year.

This should have extended to the modified version Raven asked for when I was making the images for the awards. Meaning, ONE nomination in the story awards and one nomination in Story.

Eitherway, I didn't vote for Jbern in any of these awards as I think his stuff is terrible and I know that the conversation in IRC yesterday led me to believe his stuff was generally disliked. Someone said Jbern would win however... it still surprises me though.

The people saying this is bullshit are the active members of this community with the few people who voted positively (it seems) being in the minority.

Nonetheless, it'd be interesting to see how the voting pattern came out, especially since I've heard that a person voted twice (and it looks like that person is in the Jbern camp).

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

...Not really, I did a Second person perspective short story for my year Eleven Advance English finals, I crushed everyone. 19.5/20 Bitches. :p

15. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

Never heard of choose your own adventure Taure?

16. carl

carl Seventh Year

Grats, I think "In light of silver memories" should have won this, even if it hasn't been finished.

17. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I'll happily admit to having been one of the people on IRC bitching about the prevalence of JBern's fics in the majority of the award categories, but I'd say that this win was deserved. IMO Bungle is one of the most innovative fics out there at the moment; sure it uses a few cliches, but they pretty much all have some form of new twist on them. We've all seen stories where Harry gets betrayed by his friends, but that's usually in the form of them spying on him for Dumbles, not doping him with love potions and fucking with his memory. There's plenty of stories with Harry's money, or Sirius' money bequeathed to Harry being misappropriated by Dumbles and the Order, but generally there's no real explanation why since Dumbledore is as rich as Harry if not moreso and simply too cheap to fund it out of his own pocket, and in nearly all cases stopping said theft is as simple as going into Gringotts and getting his key replaced or similar. Basically it's just another plot device to turn Harry against Dumbledore, whereas here there's actually a reason why the money is being used, and it's being misappropriated in an intelligent fashion. There're plenty of stories where Harry gets an animagus form, but doing so is almost always the standard 'potions + meditation = animagus' format; this time there was an interesting and original alternative process to doing so, which also helps explain Harry's animagus abilities appearing different to those of canon animagi.

Beyond all those, the setting itself is pretty unusual (A fair few fics where he leaves Britain, but how many where he goes to South America? Let alone spending time in a vast underground necropolis) as is the focus on warding, especially going into the mechanics behind it (Rather than Harry waves his wand and draws some runes in the air and voila, instant Fidelius/Shield/whatever). Overall, like I said, this really is the category that Bungle belongs in and, IMO at least, it deserved to win it.

18. Thalarian

Thalarian Seventh Year

Beyond all the complaints and beyond all the compare/contrast stories to see who's is best, I just wanted to remind everyone that these are just forum awards. Granted they should be respected for those who put time and effort into making them possible so thanks to them. But there's really no cash prizes to be had, no fancy cars to get, and nobody gets to shake hands with Bob Barker and wonder just how the hell he stays so tan.

I'm actually pretty happy to rank in the awards at all being only two chapters into my story, and I had an inkling that it would be an uphill road for me in any of the awards I was nominated for. I haven't been on the fanfiction scene long, and actively keeping it together even less, but at least I've cut my groove somewhere. So the only way to go is up. Can't complain with that at all.

Thanks again for everyone's votes and congrats for everyone that's won. I can only hope to keep innovative ideas fresh, and not lose that small bit of muse that got me nominated for it in the first place.

19. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

I nominated jbern's fic for most innovative. In the realm of this fanfiction, second person perspective is innovative. Until I see a deluge of second person fiction, I will still be hella impressed by it.

20. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Definitely happy that "Bungle in the Jungle" won, it's just such A sweet story.
    But I am suprised that "Potter's Resistance" didn't come out second of the three... O well, good job to all.

Not open for further replies.