1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Death Note

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Stalicon, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

I dont' know if you've heard, but the awsome manga has an animated series out too.

It can be found here

It rocks, this has got to be the best Anime I'ver ever seen so far, because it makes you think, oddly enough.

2. Dwitty

Dwitty Seventh Year DLP Supporter

God damn, you've got good timing. Vash told me about this today and suggested I download it and here it is, without me even having to try :D

3. li.u

li.u Fourth Year

Ah yes...Death Note. I've read the manga and watched all the anime episodes so far. All I can say is that both are great, though I prefer the anime a bit. It sticks to original manga quite well and somehow makes the whole thing even more exciting and thrilling with all its little, neat, cinematic elements.

Basically, it's all writing in a book and a lot of thinking process. And while that is, as I already said, great in itself, the anime manages to make these small things even more suspenseful. The music, the colour effects (i.e. the thing with the red/blue hair, eyes), everything seems to fit perfectly and makes the whole thing even more worthwhile.

Plus, in the anime, Kira looks so much more evil and cunning than the one in the manga. Might be the whole play with the colours and stuff, but after comparing both, the manga Kira appeared so much 'weaker' (look-wise) than his animated counterpart.

Anyway, the Kira in Death Note is probably one of the greatest anti-heroes I've ever seen and the whole series simply doesn't get boring despite the lack of explosions, DBZ-like fights, 'BOOMS' and 'BANGS', etc. It's all a matter of guile and thinking. That's what Kira is good at and that's what makes him so awesome.

...Well, and that's probably why I was rather disappointed with the ending. With the way the world was at that moment, the other way around would have been so much more likely. And seeing Kira reduced to that was also rather sad. But, well, I'm spoiling so I better shut up...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Quite possibly one of the most compelling manga I've read to date- well, before it got to around volume 8 or so.

A definite recommendation. Nice and dark, and intellectual (although there ARE a few plotholes...you have to actively look for them to find any though), I think it'd really fit most of our tastes here at DLP.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it, alot.

6. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Nice to be of help there Dwitty. :p

Yeah, for those of you who aren't manga/anime freaks, Death Note is about a book that falls to earth from the realm of the Death Gods, the book is obvioulsy the Death Note which happens to have the power to kill any human just by writing down their names.

In the series you follow a very bright young man as he finds, and uses, the Death Note to try and become a God and rid the world of 'Evil', all the while dodgeing the police.

Really, to truly understand the awsomness of this you have to watch it, so... Do it NOW!

7. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    I've read it before. Pretty damn good, though the ending irritated me.

8. haroon_angel

haroon_angel Fourth Year

Very nice thank you for sharing this..

9. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  10. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    Thanks for the link! It's always difficult to find a Death Note video on youtube with subs that don't necessitate you to squint too much. Youtube users are usually pretty fast with the new episodes but I wouldn't mind waiting an extra day or two for the upload to be of better quality.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Stalicon, you tard. The latest is 16.

Irocen.com hosts direct downloads for Animanda, the best fansub group working on the project. Live-Evil did up to like... episode 12... I tihnk it was, but they dropped it. Animanda picked it up.

The anime does follow the manga pretty well though. They leave out minor little things. Like I dont remember the Anime mentioning more American criminals died.

12. Lady Almaren

Lady Almaren Seventh Year

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW!!! I was watching it in Sociology one time. I loved the main character, I think his name his Kira, or something. He was the coolest!

13. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Not sure if you guys know this... however... its not ONLY an anime series!
    Its got a movie too! :) In fact it is only behind Titanic for highest grossing movie in the Japanese box office.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/528497

Above link will dl the hq DN movie which has been conveniently hard-subbed for your viewing pleasure! Please keep in mind that this movie is only part one and the second part Death Note: The Last Name has yet to be released.

bon appetite!

14. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Several people on IRC won't shut up about this. And the new dawn of obsession begins. *clap of thunder*

Raven likes it, oddly enough, so it must be semi-decent. Too bad I have 56k.

15. Dango-Fetish

Dango-Fetish Fourth Year

Sitting solemnly in the centre of a black hole.
    Ditto :D
    This is definitely a favorite of mine.

16. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Thanks for the better link Vash, I'm still new to streaming/downloading. I just got a high speed connection a bit ago. Wooo, now I have not need to wait 20+ hours.

Vash, your link sucks, I can't get it to download at all...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  17. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

works perfectly fine for me, Stali.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

19. Scarty

Scarty Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't know which Fansubgroup this Subs made, but I download it from here
    http://narutomania.com

Death Note is really interesting, atm I watched up to episode 10. When I have time, I'll load the rest.

20. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    There's a live-action version of Death Note. The actor who plays Light is the same effeminate guy who played the protagonist in Battle Royale.

The live-action's plot slightly deviates from the original manga/anime but if you have two hours to waste, it's worth watching, mostly because it's funny to watch real people interact with a very fake animation of a shinigami. More people die too, I think.

EDIT: I was going to put a link but it seems the youtube user has been suspended. 0_0

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007