1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot No Such Thing by Razzle-Dazzle-Me - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by snufkin, Feb 11, 2007.

1. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    Title: No Such Thing
    Author: Razzle-Dazzle-Me
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Horror
    DLP Category: The Alternate's (AU)
    Pairing: None so far
    Words: 4,245
    Published: February 7, 2007

Summary: AU. A young Harry Potter wishes for a friend ... then along comes Tom, and he’s not quite as imaginary as many presume.
    Link: FF.net

Razz generally writes good stories, with original plot and good character development. The dark atmosphere of the story is well-done and the subtle inference to torture and murder is one of the strong points of the story. Unfortunately, Razz isn't too great at updating.

5/5 for the story for me. Overall 4.6/5 because of the slow updates to be expected. Again, the 4K chapter is still worth reading despite that.

This is the review I left on ff.net.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 26, 2012
    It is abandoned, but the story would work as oneshot, thus the label.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Goosefaba

Goosefaba Looked into the void DLP Supporter

You know i never thought a piece of fanfiction could make someone seem insane and twisted. I also thought i would never be sickened by a piece of fanfiction, but like housewives to general hospital i read it till the end and found it enjoyable but wrong and demented so my morals hope the author leaves this one a one-shot and doesn't push himself/herself past the barrier of sanity, however my mind enjoyed the weird original plot of totaly insane and schizophrenic Harry.

P.S- There was a case in real life where a man had schizophrenia and a dog told him to kill people...........freaky

3. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    I'd like the author to continue because I enjoy her writing in general. And I think Harry is possessed, not schizophrenic. But then again he may be schizo and that might explain why no one else can see Tom's spirit form.

Anyhow, there's a reason why it's labelled horror. :)

4. Goosefaba

Goosefaba Looked into the void DLP Supporter

I skip over labels, i read all kinds of stories but either he's schizo or he is schizo because if he is hallucinating Tom or the dark lord projects himself in Harry's mind breaking him which is possible and since the weird ass character is named Tom likely.

5. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

BioPlague Warning and Advisory System
    [​IMG]

Read through entirely.

Notes
    - People have to distance themselves from canon to be able to enjoy this story. It's a very interesting take and sort of almost seems to rebuke Rowling's theme concerning "choices". After all, doesn't Harry have almost the same upbringing as Tom Riddle? And Riddle had very few choices to make concerning his stake in life since it seems he was both born evil and "psychopathic", thanks to the retardedapelooking!slytherin!gene.

- If you do ignore canon, this story really shines. Put it out of your mind. Put what Harry the Heroic has done and the one-shot becomes clawesome. The description of Tom and his appearance being metaphorical for what he represents is top-notch; the italicised whisperings of Tom's words to Harry ensnare you into the story and the general surreal feeling to the entire piece allows for a nice, easy but not too long escape into the fanciful. It's not meant to occupy your entire night, after all.

- The story happens to be confusing in only one spot. It's where Arabella comes over and is alarmed and even frightened by what has taken place at No. 4. The event that transpires is a bit hard to swallow since Figg does nothing to remedy the situation as I think any normal adult should or would. She instead lolly-gags. Either way, it's a minor occurrence and doesn't stop the story from being good.

- The Dumbledore part was handled well. Too often, you'd see Dumbledore being sluffed off as just plain manipulative or just plain Granny Shitshispants Forgood. Here we see a bit of a different side; there's the obvious intention of molding and creating a hero but it's done in a more human and plausible way. It's a far cry from Wickam Academy (Sp?)'s Dumbledore that just waltzes in and acts like a fucking idiot. It also shows the authors capability to, within a very limited piece, make several very diverse characters that have many facets. Tom does seem one-sided but I think several times in there, you have to wonder if perhaps he does enjoy Harry's company.

- I don't see a lot of deep, psychological mumbo-jumbo here, like the above 'tard mentions but the sudden-stop and the lack of explanation for what Harry is experiencing only adds to the story. It's a one-shot, it does bring you full circle and it does make you wonder. But there is a clue that 'magic' listened and that Tom may in fact be an entity of some sort. Can one hallucinate about something they don't know (ie Parseltongue and knowing that Tom would know it and would thus be able to converse with him?)?

I'm surprised this hasn't received a bit more discussion. The better one-shots and stories are often disregarded and just given a star rating but I'm pleased to have both read this and reviewed it. I hope it gets into the library; very Acceptable.

Edit note: I assumed this was a one shot but maybe it isn't; the way the author signed off lead me to believe otherwise. If there's more, I guess I'll gauge it then. I think it stands on its own as a fine piece and to go any further would indeed be pushing it. Not because of... morals or anything like that but because you then begin exploring whatever Tom is and whatever follows and that's half the intrigue.

We'll see.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  6. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I agree. As a one shot this is very good, but I'm rather queasy about the auther making it longer. That just wouldn't sit right with me. While it's all very good and such, I didn't enjoy it much. I just have to much trouble disregarding cannon. That said, it was still a great story.

5/5

7. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Well. That was...creepy.

4/5

8. Kalistar

Kalistar First Year

I think the author should leave it as a one shot. I'm not sure where they could really take the story the way it is laid out now. Still, I usually don't like one-shots but this one definitely grabbed my attention.

4/5

9. Nullify

Nullify Seventh Year

Great job once again, razz =)

Masterful writing that flows, top-notch spelling/grammar, along with perfect depictions of child!Harry (which I don't usually like in fics...) - with the right amount of childishness and innocence, balanced by the demonic whisperings of Tom - create the right creepy dark tone that I loved.

I especially liked the Dumbledore scene, which, like Merrill said, portrayed Dumbledore wonderfully. Though I prefer that this stays a one-shot, it does have certain potential if you eventually wish to expand on it...

5/5...enjoyed it lots.

10. razz

razz Seventh Year

Aw. Thanks guys!

It wasn’t my intention to have Harry perceived as schizophrenic, exactly. Vaguely, my theory (and the original idea behind it all) was this:

The Tom Riddle that Harry calls to himself at Privet Drive was actually the one/seventh of the Dark Lord’s soul still lingering in Europe. Harry’s magic gives Riddle some form of substance, but he is essentially still Lord Voldemort – and, of course, is naturally inclined to take advantage of Harry and fuck his life over. Harry is in perfect control of his own actions, and isn’t so much ‘possessed’ as simply being guided and disturbed by Riddle’s urging.

… I hope that makes a little sense?

As to leaving it a one-shot, or not –

Yeah. I do have more directions I’d have liked to see this go … but, honestly, even if I did plan on continuing, I’d probably never get around to it. So 4K it is and 4K it'll stay :D

11. Kaprice

Kaprice Guest

Hm. I didn't think that Harry was schiz when I read it either. But instead of - insert razz's spoiler - I thought it was the shade that got stuck to Quirrel's head. *shrug*

Extremely well written. I can't imagine why you people don't want it to be any longer than a one shot. There are so many more... graphic... stories than this one. Imo this one actually skims over the more unpalatable sections and leaves it up more to the immagination (which I applaud).

5/5 and wishing that razz will extend this.