1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

GIMP: Text w/ Gradient

Discussion in 'Graphics Discussion' started by Xiph0, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

(I'm not sure what people need specific help with, but this is something I have a lot of fun with, so here goes):

I'm not sure how much it varies, but the version I have is 2.2 so I'll be going by that.

When you open GIMP, you're confronted with this Box (and usually an annoying-ass Tip of the Day, which I highly recommend you get rid of if you plan on opening/closing GIMP a lot):

[​IMG]

Most of the tools are self explanatory (if you hover your mouse over any of them, it tells you what it is).

Lets say, just for laughs, I wanted to play with colors and text.

I'd select File -> New, and enter 300x300.

Select the Font tool (Big T one) and click in the Center of your pic. Select any font that looks half-decent to you, I'll use a Harry Potter one, and write "Dark Lord Potter".

Press M and move the text wherever you want, and when satisfied press Control + L. This brings up the Layers dialog.

On the Text layer (should be labeled Dark Lord Potter), check the Box next to Mode: Normal.

This basically means that whatever you do to that text will only happen to it. If you run a paintbrush over it, only the text will be painted, not the entire picture.

Fun stuff. Anyhow, select the Gradient tool (L), click the small box, and select "German Flag Smooth".

Go back to your picture and press Control -> Then drag a line in any direction over the text you want.

When satisfied go to Image -> Autocrop Image. Select "Save As" and, to keep it transparent, use .png.

My result:

[​IMG]

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

That's pretty sweet. I was wondering where you got that 'Dark Lord Potter' thing. The name of the program is amusing. GIMP. :)