1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Eclipse of Remembrance by The Zig - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by ip82, Nov 21, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Harry Potter and the Eclipse of Remembrance
    Author: The Zig
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Supernatural
    Pairings: None
    Summary: [5th year, no romance] Dragons, TechnoMagic, conspiracies and escaped daemons mean Harry's in for an eventful year, even if he doesn't manage to survive long enugh to kill Voldemort... COMPLETE
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1470503/1/

This is at first glance rather canon-like post-GOF story, but underneath the surface, it's a real gem. There is some extremely cool and original stuff in here, including new magical concepts (techno-magic), great subplots, new OC's and very, very good twist at the end.

Harry's character is kinda canon-like (meaning he's not very independant), but he's far shot from some whiny bitch, not to mention he's learning some very cool un-canon-like stuff from his pet-cyborg (yes, you heard me well).

Anyway, read this story, it's great.

2. Darkside

Darkside Third Year

I've read this as well, it's an alright fic. It just irritates me that the sequel isn't updated, would it kill them to write faster? :(

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Seen this around a lot but never clicked on it... mainly because it said Techno-Magic... I mean, what the fuck?

He has a pet cyborg... IP, you support this? I'm scared of even clicking it... but I guess I'll give it a try.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, it's cool. It's not as much as Vorlon's chemistry thing, but more like ancient knowledge from Atlantis, the prophecy spanning thousands of years and a magical cyborg sort of thing sent after Harry to guide him through... Very original and imaginative.

I remember this as a great story, even with Harry being too submissive for my taste (still, this is written before his rebellion in OOTP). It has a great twist in the end too - one of the best I've ever seen in HP fanfiction.

5. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Meh. I really don't like this much. Stupid ancient Atlantis prophecies, a girl only Harry can see, Harry with uber blocks making him a weak little shit, blah, to be fair though, I couldn't get past chapter 4 so it might be better later.

6. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

I'm currently enjoying this story. Bleargh... There are some moments which just want me to scream at Harry to get some backbone. He's too submissive in this story. If my friends were following me when i wanted some alone time and there was something i needed to do alone, I wouldn't bother apologizing to them...

The story has interesting concepts though. You can get past the Technomagic thingy after the first few chapters and even though Harry has a lot of knowledge(mostly concerning his lessons), he's not uber-powered. He's even having some difficutly handling a single girl with a daemon. :O_O:

There was a part that had me gagging though... The golden trio making vows to be together forever!!! Wheee... :puke:

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I stopped reading after the whole scene in Dumbledore's office. Harry just accepted the fact that the old fart and everybody else bred him like an animal and manipulated his entire life for their own gain, made him suffer to force him to become what they wanted him to become. The proper way to do things would have been to have Harry rebel against them. Indeed, he is way too submissive and seems to accept being their goddamned pawn without any complaint. Hell, I'd have just let the ungrateful fucks in the magical world burn in Voldemort's wrath amd die like animals for all the shit they'd put him through (second year with the Heir of Slytherin, all the crap in the Daily Prophet, et cetera).

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Dunno if he'd just forgiven them, I've never read the sequel. I just didn't want to get into the whole thing, since it seems it's abandoned.

But yeah, it was a bit dissapointing that he hadn't gorged the old fart's eyes out... Still, you have to admit that the whole premise and the twist were great.

9. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

Yup. Very interesting twist at the end. I honestly didn't expect that until i read it. There were hints placed at various stages in the story but I never picked up on them. I've never been a fan of submissive!harry but the originality of the story had me hooked... :O_O:

10. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

To be honest: This story sucks!
    I admit it has nice subplots (Demon hunt,...), but there are just too many things which annoy me greatly.

1. "Harry we bred you like an Animal and manipulated you your whole life!"
    "Wow thats pretty cool!"

2. "Harry you are an Annumagus!"
    "Sounds cool what is this?"
    "You have an Animagus form for every year of your life. And one is of course (tadaaaa) a phönix!"

3. "Harry, we followed you secretly and spied on you!"
    "Oh my god! I am so sorry that you had to do this! Lets be friends 4evaaaa!"

4. "Harry what do you have there???"
    "Oh thats just some strange rod which allowes me to instantly read every book I want!"
    "Wow thats sounds pretty cool! Can I use them too!"
    "Of course, since I am so gratefull for you spying on me!"

Also Techno-Magic seems to be just an excuse for Harry to do wandless magic....

I admit I only read till chapter 12 but I just couldnt read further after the Annumagus thing.....

11. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Am half-way through this thing at the moment, not sure of what to make of it.

On one hand, we have excellent mechanics (first chapter aside), solid writing style, tight plotting, intrigue and originality. On the other we've got quite a few concepts that haven't aged all that well, Lucius, Fudge and Rita being spies for the Resistance organisation Dumbledore is a part of, Empath!Draco, whole new universe being forced upon canon apparently without much thought, annoying Harry characterisation, super non-canon abilities and ancient prophecies, unlikeable OC trainer and random new classes.

Looks like a 3/5 at the moment, but it's still much better than most of the stuff in the Recycle Bin IMO. I'll refrain from rating now, in hopes that the supposed twist at the end can justify rounding up the score.

12. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

When I first got into fanfiction this was always one of my favorite stories, mostly because it's not a train wreck writing wise and some interesting stuff happens that is not terribly overdone. The Atlantis stuff, the talents, the war, the new magic and the twist at the end are nice, although much of it does not begin to live up to its potential.
    That said in light of more recent fanfiction, this fic and its sequel are merely adequate - a decent read for the bored who feel like they have already read most everything else decent (especially those who like to read about training... a lot). I know in 04 and 05 I really enjoyed reading stories that focused on Harry training and/or becoming awesome and this fic fits nicely in that genre - with the major wrinkle that they junk Voldemort and replace him with the Uber-bad Five.

Overall I rate it a 4/5 as a decent example of fanfic from the 2003-2004 period that would appeal to people who enjoyed stories like Elemental Genesis.