1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and The Warlord by deconneur - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Redeye, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter and The Warlord
    Author: deconneur
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance
    DLP Category: Alternate Universe
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 124,279
    Updated: Sep 10, 2010
    Published: Dec 11, 2006

Summary:post HBP. Harry somehow accomplished is destiny, but everyone died. Him included. Really? No, he lands in an other world. One where he is 6, have siblings & parents. A world that knows nothing of the horrors of war. A world where he can make a difference
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3284085/1/

Just read this one today, its not a groundbreaking fic and has some cliches but over all its pretty solid and has managed to keep my interest, so i decided to share, I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see this posted so here it is.
    Harry pretty much goes to new timeline as a 6 year old with all of his memories and blah blah blah but then it takes a twist and well. . . i suggest you read cause its pretty crazy. The story, however, does seem to feature a rather Political! Harry and a Economist! Harry. give it a shot i guess id say it gets 4/5 for me mainly for keeping my interest but i also want to see where this one goes so my rating may change.

Checked by Minion, June 28, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I tried this a while ago. I think it was the whole mushy family lovely-dovely crap that deterred me from reading it. Might give it another try.

3. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

yeah that whole mushy family thing kinda dissapears, one of the better parts of the story.

4. Myst

Myst Headmaster

The first chapter is cringe worthy.

Everything after that is pretty good and held my attention.

4/5

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, after plowing through the first two chapters, the fic becomes really enjoyable. I especially liked his canon-friendly description of Occlumancy - simple, elegant and logical.

I still don't like all the family related crap that jumps up now and then. Lily worship and idiot!James is really getting old; and even though this story does it rather moderately, I'd rather if he hurried along Harry's growth and just skipped over the whole super!kid crap. Oh, and the whole magical contract thing is too perfect and overused - he should figure out some other way for Harry to play his game. Because having everyone sign the contract is just dull.

So, not bad. Once you break through the first two chapters, the story gets really entertaining, even with all the semi-cliches and 6 year old Harry running around & taking over the world. Sweet.
    4.1/5

6. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

i agree ip82 about the magical contract thing. everyone signing it is just childish and lame. the story is good though but it is really very unbeliavable and far away from reality for James to abandon his family like that. 4/5

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its interesting, and certainly makes use of the fact that its an AU. Some characters are unexplicably out of character, until you realise, its in an AU. Also, about James leaving. He is portrayed in the books as being quite immature and irresponsible. His wife has just nearly died, perhaps he's running away from that?

The contract, whilst originally a reasonable creation, is used too often to make is believable.

On the flip side, I do love Janus' character for whatever reason.

4/5

8. AnnF

AnnF First Year

This story hits the biggest pothole in time-travel fics - worrying too much about changing the things that should be changed first. Made worse by that Harry assumes the alternate reality he ends up in will follow the same path as his, despite clear differences just in the cast of characters.

Beyond that we are supposed to believe that in this different universe with living Potter and Longbottoms, the economy and political system will proceed as they did in Harry's universe, not to mention the long odds of Ron perfectly assessing non impacting trades in the market for the past time period just so happens to begin when Harry gets there. A lot of loose threads, and I'm afraid it seems to be near the tipping point.

2/5 through part 7

9. gabriel

gabriel First Year

no points

I thought the story was terrible, 0/5

" The wards were supposed to forbidden his escape not pull him toward them"
    "a bright golden flash stopped him in mid-air and he felt to the floor"

maybe I am to picky but stupid things like that break up the story to much I lose concentration, if the author doesnt care enough to check over his work for obvious mistakes than why should I bother reading it. The story felt as if he was winging it, typing away and thought occurs so he put it in, than another and so on, no planning. My vote would be for the bin.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I've read this before and its quite good. All he needs is a beta to fix up the small word errors. There's not many errors so its all good

4/5

11. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

The author's French, therefore a few mistakes are forgiveable (I'm biased, but still). From experience, I can also tell it's hard to get a beta in those conditions, especially if you're relatively new to ff world. Also, about the "forbid/forbidden" problem... Remember we had to learn the entire list of English irregular verbs at school; you're lucky he wasn't turned off enough to drop English completely :).

Haven't read the story, but I will eventually.

12. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

i had a lot of trouble getting past the first sentence. it lacked finesse and was completely stupid. i did however get past it, and when i did i found that the story was sub-par. writing style was moderate, and the harry portrayed was just there. nothing extreme in any direction. 2.5/5

13. Prophet of the Waves

Prophet of the Waves First Year

Well I from what I have read it looks to be a good story and I like it not alot of mistakes that I could find so I give a 4/5

14. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

When I'm in the mood for a Super!Harry, I really enjoy this one. It has nifty ideas and a slow-but-strong buildup. Some of the "don't change the future" precautions are irritating, especially when they could be bypassed so easily (esp. protecting Lucius so that Dobby could be recruited on the correct date.) On the upside, I really enjoy how Harry keeps surprising the adults around him.

I only wish Deconneur would update. I've spent a year looking forward to seeing James get what he deserves for abandoning his children, and what he does to Frank to try to pass the guilt. Not to mention whether Sirius is suspicious of his inheritance.

4/5 For great ideas, minus Harry's overly conservative protection of the time line.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  15. watersoft12

watersoft12 Looked into the void

fail fail fail

And then, chapter two. First this:

Then this:

He goes from a little boy to six year old urber warrior. He's like a human ferrarri...

0/5 for unrealism

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  16. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

3.5 out of 5. It's good, and worth the read. However, it needs a beta for sure, and has some significant pacing issues, particularly when Harry is shifting between "Cute little 6-year-old" and "Seasoned Veteran" that currently require large suspensions of disbelief. Now, personally, I can just set it aside and gloss over it, but I shouldn't have to.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Took me a while to get through the first chapter, if I hadn't thought it would improve based on reviews here I might have given up. The chapter itself has an interesting background for the story, but it seems to me like the flashbacks either should have been a bit less detailed in some areas (like the dragonhide armor purchasing) or else actually written like a story and not a flashback. There are also some grammar and spelling errors present.

Ok, reading through the rest of it it's still sort of mediocre and hard to get into. The characterizations of everyone seem off. Harry becomes Janus, whose personality and knowledge is not well explained by the story. Lupin objects to a lot of things but does them anyway without much fuss. James and Lily are one-dimensional, though admittedly this is the first time I've seen James portrayed as someone who happily puts his career far ahead of his family. Flamel and Ollivander, who had potential in this story, have made too few appearances.

The dialogue is bland. This damn 12th level secrecy contract or whatever is too convenient a plot device. It doesn't appear to have any downfalls to using it, so Harry just uses it everytime it's convenient, which is often.

Ok, just got to the end of Chapter 5. What the f---? So basically, James and Lily have 3 kids, of which Harry is the oldest. Harry ends up living with them though we see very little of any of them, but we are supposed to think that Lily and James are good parents. Then Lily gets injured, placed into a coma, and James gets a promotion. So pretty much giving a big FU to his family, he has his kid petrified, obliviated, and forcefully placed in an uncaring home (I.e. Dursleys) so that he can take his promotion. WTF?

I'll give you that that whole storyline/concept of James being like this is a good one and I wouldn't mind reading it, but it's done poorly here in my opinion. It needs good writing and characterization to work, and this story doesn't have it.

Yeah, skimming through it now, almost done. More interaction between Remus and Harry that I can't find interesting, more using Ron's stock-market-information containing diary (Back to the Future anyone?), more rituals to make Harry more OP than he already is, Harry telling Remus that he loves him as a father/godfather/uncle when there has been no development of such a relationship, an elite pureblood school for pre-Hogwarts students, James coming back and seemingly at least slightly pissed off at what was done to Harry....

Yeah, ok, 2.5/5 and rounding down to 2 for the thread rating. I just couldn't get into this one. It has some good plot ideas but none seem to be executed very well, and the characterizations are so bland that I don't care about what happens to anyone. It's still better than a lot of the crap out there, but better doesn't mean good.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  18. BlacShade

BlacShade Muggle

Lots of conflicting reviews, but read the first chapter anyway, and yes it was painful. The story itself isn't too horribly bad, but some of the grammar mistakes annoy me. Not a lot of spelling mistakes, but spelling does not the English language make. Would be better if he had a beta I think, but as they said, it does pick up some in the later chapters. Not something I would really recommend though.

19. DeathFlames

DeathFlames Squib

WTF is happening here. I've been out of the country for a few months and come back to DLP full of necro posts.

20. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

So now, determined not to be outdone, you're necroposting yourself. You stupid fuck.