1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Acceptance by Pan06 - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by MrINBN, Mar 8, 2007.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Title: The Acceptance
    Author: Pan06
    Rating: K
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: General fics
    Pairing: None so far
    Summary: With the Dursleys away in Majorca, Harry gets his first Hogwarts letter. Along with a whole lot of others. Which school will he chose and how will his choice effect the people and events that surround him? How will it effect his own future?
    Link: FFN

Haven't read much of it yet, but it looks extremely promising.

2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I'm American. I know that the British call public schools "private schools." Pan06 has no excuse not to know as well.

Hermione is very usal controling self, let me do it Harry, I know better Harry, You're an Idiot Harry...

Bitch

Of course she does have her stupid moment, I mean really, know-it-all bitch doesn't comment on his relatives not caring?

At least she and Harry are going to different schools.

I like these little bit of detail, to story isn't laden with things like this, but when they do pop up they make for amusing asides.

No really, he couldn't. Harry had always though of himself as clean rich.

At least the Goblins aren't begging to blow him yet.

Harry finds a nifty little trunk is his family vaults!! Guess what, it has three room sized compartments!!!! And many other nifty features!!!! Harry learns all this reading the manual in about 10 seconds.

No comment.

Edit: I've reached the end of chapter 2. I may get back to it later. It isn't near as bad as I make it sound. Okay, it just might be as bad as I make it sound. Maybe it will get better. I don't no it I shall finish it though.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've been following this from the start. It's an OK story. The author is desperately trying to do both the new school thing and keep the canon friendships (the trio). So far, she's managing it without pissing me off... too much. But I'm not sure how long will this last; the whole super!friendshit thing can only get worse from this point on, not better.

4. Cthulu

Cthulu Unintelligent Bigot

Don't the Brits use the same system as the rest of Europe?
    A private school is just that, a PRIVATE school, that is to say, a school for a select few - a school you are scouted to get into.
    While a "public school" is a school that everyone can get into, assuming that they have good enough grades.

5. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_school_(UK)

Private and public schools are the same thing in the UK. The link explains the odd reasoning behind calling fee paying schools public schools.

As for the story. Not bad, Super!Friends annoys me as it does with any fic these days

6. Ascania

Ascania Second Year

In Britain "Public Schools" refers to fee-charging private schools, as opposed to state schools.
    Wiki gives a faily decent explanation for the reason behind the name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school (just scroll down to the UK entry)

7. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Yeah, public schools, private schools, same thing over here. Wikipedia explains it all very nicely.

I found the story...all right, I suppose. It would have been vastly improved if the author hadn't done the typical thing and had Hermione be the first other magical person he meets and subsequently becomes friends with. Not to mention giving Harry enough money to buy several large towns. Overall she could have invested better spent time in going through some of the other options for schools instead of introducing Hermione and having her advise Harry and generally boss him around. As a reader I'd have found it more rewarding for him to do things on his own.

3/5 so far but it has the potential to improve, even if it just seems a little too happy go lucky for it to be likely.

8. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    MrINBN gave me the link for this on IRC last night. I think it is not all that bad, plenty of interesting ideas, and a good writing style. However, the large numbers of cliches hurt this story, so 3/5 from me.

9. Lord Necros

Lord Necros Slug Club Member

it is severly lacking in the collective flow department and it is just moving to quickly. No Desciptives at all noting. 1/5

10. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, I sorta agree with Lord Necros about the flow, It is hard to follow.

11. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

I briefly skimmed through the first couple of chapters of this story, and I can safely say that I don't like it.

The author spends way too much time writing about things that are overly cliché.

For instance- The trunk- God only knows how much space is in it, and no one ever uses it.

Animagus forms- I didn't read far enough to find out weather or not Harry would become one, but he did buy a book on the topic.

Golden Trio- I just hate Ron and Hermione.

As I've only read the first few chapters, I'm not sure if the story improves or not.

12. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, with an upcoming chance to do something new.

13. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, more of the same.