1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duke of Rothwood, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Which book was your favorite?

Also, I saw this on a different site (looks good, small, but good) two people talking about the best book and this one guy Lord Darkstar, seems to think similar to us here and I thought he could use a little defense since one person there actually LIKED HBP (demon spawn).

This is the site if anyone wanted to go bash HBP on it, http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Dark_Tower_Foums/index.php?act=idx .

Anyway, personally GoF was my favorite. It really set the stage for what could have been excellent, to bad that we then got OOTP and HBP

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Tie between GoF and then PoA is right there with it, I enjoyed the set up to Harry meeting Sirius, and in the book you really didn't know what was going on till the very end, with an excellent twist.

GoF was the same, but it falls slightly behind for me, since Harry acts like a wuss through much of it, and has to be basically led by hand holding through each task. The end fight scene was great, but to me, placing it in the middle of the book, and cutting out some of the stuff, like the world cup, and then showing the formation of OOTP and possibly some training would of worked out better for me.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I must say to me it's still PS, followed by OOtP.

Unpopular choices?

Here are my reasonings:

Philosopher's Stone had practicaly created HP. All the great ideas that makes HP world are introduced here. The other books are just upgrades, glorified fanfiction.

The problem with PS is lack of ambition - back than, JKR definitely wasn't planning on a series, thus big plot holes and generally childish atmosphere. I mean, we have to write about fucking Goblins living solely from banks, just becouse she wanted to make a joke on bankers.

OOTP isn't that good by itself (unless you like to see Harry getting pushed around), but it's ending is perfect for fanfiction. The plot can go literaly anyway - any pairing, slash, dark or light, pro Dumbledore or independant... you can do anything. GOF ending isn't bad as well, but Harry is still firmly a boy there, under Dumble's thumb and without prophecy to push him forward.

Actually, that's one of my biggest problems with HBP - it's fucking burying fanfiction. There are only so much ways you can write Harry stumbling after horacruxes with Ron & Hermione, with no possible romance or new developments... Too many things are pre-set there.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

PoA, the more I think about it lately. It was the only book that portrayed Harry as anything remotely resembling competent. He learned the Patronus and used it to great effect in the end. Cho was introduced as Harry's main crush, and I liked her right from the start. Then we get to the next book, and Harry is struggling to hold his own in a tournament that is fucking RIGGED so he will win, bumbling his way through adversity without a clue as always. Oh yeah, and he's the famous celebrity hero, and he can't even work up the nuts to ask a cute girl to a dance before it's too late.

5. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Aye, PoA peaked my interest in the book, as it seemed as if he was going to become a kick ass wizard with the Patronus charm, and before any of you say "well he only cast a charm that drove away 100+ dementors because he knew he could do it" stuff it.

Bottom line is, he did something most wizards can't do normally, and did it hundreds of times more effectivley, at such a young age. Then we get the next 3 books, where as me and Sera both mentioned, he's having trouble winning a rigged tourney, and has to practice all day to summon a broom to him. I'm not even going to start on how retarded he is in HBP in that Inferi scene.

OOTP alone majorlly pissed me off for the way the book started, with the dementors. I mean there was only two, in a slightly panicky situation with a guy he hates, and he's struggling to do anything.

Yet in PoA, there were assloads of them in a huge stress filled situation where his only way towards a happy life (Sirius) was about to be stripped from him and he utterly wiped them. The woman needs continuity editors badly.

6. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

like i said before poa and gof slightly behind are what i called the golden age of harry potter after that its just like "JKR what ya gonna do for the next book?" "its a secret" *goes off and steals ideas from various fanfiction, (bad fanfiction) that has spawned*

POA it was the only time harry was really like no wuss. Especially with the scene with peter. Sirius at the end was great. The Book just kept you reading and with the twists at the end it was the finest of the series
    but i will give props to PS mainly cause without it i would have never read the other books well i guess i can also blame PS for making my read ootp and HBP

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I never really liked POA, but that's possibly coz I saw that horrible movie first.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

GoF was my favorite. In my opinion, it was the peak of her work. After all, she did still have new ideas rolling in then.

9. UnholyWarlord

UnholyWarlord Fourth Year

The Great Icy wasteland that is known as Canada
    Mine was GoF, I liked the return of Voldemort.
    Dark Lord are awesome

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Mine is definitely PoA, I think that in that book she put the most effot in. It was suspenseful, and didn't have Voldemort in it at all, but everything took a turn for the worse in this book.

11. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

Must agree on PoA. even though SS/PS started the series it is not exacty a great book. Besides I like Sirius. :twisted:

12. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I've gotta agree with the majority here... PoA was in my oppinion the best of the series. The whole book just seems like so much more effort has been put into it. It's where the series take a darker path even though Voldemort is not part of it. It's suspensful, plus Harry actually does something that can be considered powerful.

From a fanfiction point of view it think OotP gives us the best break-away point. There are countless possibilities to take the story in.

13. perfectly_insane

perfectly_insane First Year

PoA was definitely a good book with Harry being all powerful and stuff but I'd have to go with GoF because of Cedric dying. He was a pretty boy. I hate pretty boys. <.<

So it's a good thing he died. Otherwise, I'd have gone after him myself with my microwave.

14. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Wow...somebody else that hates Cedric as much as me. What a find. :p

15. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Would you like to read your own vows, or may I continue with the ceremony?:p

PoA.

Goblet was cool, but Harry was just too damn weak. How hard can a summoning charm be, anyway? Surely turning your aunt into a balloon is a more difficult bit of magic -- and he did that without even trying.

16. perfectly_insane

perfectly_insane First Year

The hate pretty much stems from the fact that he's virtually perfect. Perfect people annoy me. Plus, he got to Cho (who should have been Harry's date) first.

17. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

I like POA because it doesn't need Voldemort action to make it interesting because it's got Sirius and Remus and Dementors and stuff.

18. SDewey

SDewey Guest

Well, to me, Ootp was my favorite, though there was the matter of Sirius dying and all. It was the first book i read and the one that really peaked my intrest. Before that, i read PoA, and i was like, *big yawn*:rolleyes: . But of course i read it again and it was better, but i think Ootp was the one who 'introduced' the world of Harry Potter to me, and i'm sort of 'grateful' to it. Next to it will be Gof, and then HBP. But i didn't really like the pairing of Harry/Ginny:mad: there, if not, it would have been my favorite after Ootp.

19. Dasha

Dasha Second Year DLP Supporter

You must be first here to like those books at all...
    But seriously PoA is my favourite too.. I like it because it was the first (and only) book there Harry had shown some initiative and it had such a great set up(?) for the future. I like the werewolf, dementor (other creatures are kind of lame) thing and the Azkaban prizon with ministry... it somewhat expanded the magical world in my opinion. Although Hagrid the CoMC teacher was somewhat annoying.
    I rather liked GoF but IMO Voldemort was such disappointment (bow to your death... agh).

20. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

It pissed be off ... it was completely pointless - but other then that, PoA is my favourite book, because, as said before, Harry actually shows some competence.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006