1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Me And Miss Bones by Olafr - T - HP/SuB

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Antivash, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Me And Miss Bones
    Author: Olafr
    Rating: T
    Pairing: Harry/Susan Bones?
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 17,821
    Updated: Nov. 28, 2005
    Published: Jan. 5, 2005

Link: Me and Miss Bones
    Summary: Harry Potter is rescued by Amelia Bones and spends the summer with her niece, Susan. Harry learns to appreciate Hufflepuff.

Only three chapters but I enjoy this... its a bit on the fluffy side but I personally enjoy it as i said...

Checked by Minion, Nov. 18, 2012
    Checked By Sorrows: 03/08/2019

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

I read it a long while ago but it updates so slow that i forgot about it, but it was a pretty good one.

3. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

extremely slow updates but very good.

i like it a lot. but the chapters should be longer.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Too bad he stopped writing this...

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

He just released a chapter actually, but very slow updates....

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Did he? Wow... that took ages. He's writing another story I think that isnt too bad.

7. Yes the updates are slow, but the chapters are long enough that it makes the wait worth while.

8. cu_cullen9

cu_cullen9 Second Year

this is just another one of those abandon fics. i wish authors would just delet them when they stop writting or let people know in summary so they don't waste their time.

9. s0x5t

s0x5t Guest

I agree. I hate reading a story and then I get really into it........and then to find out it was scrapped. I read this awhile ago and really did like it. Shame it hasnt been continued.

10. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

this part made me LAWLATTHEMAWL.

“Of course, you’ve only learned one stroke. I’ll show you side stroke and backstroke tomorrow, and then butterfly. If you’re very good, I’ll show you the breast-stroke.”

on what planet is breats stroke for masters and butterfyl for begginers. is the meaning different in england or some such. good story. but when in the book is susan described as.... well endowed. in every story she exists in as a love interest she has big tits.

11. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

... Youve answered your own question in fact. <_< ... The BREAST stroke she refered to was her fanonly large breasts.

Canon Susan we know nothing about, anyway. So just suck it up and live with it boy. We all do when the H/G-ers start flooding here.

12. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

It was one of the few Harry/Susan stories out there. It convinced me that a Harry/Susan story could work. It is a shame it hasn't been picked back up by the author.

I have to admit that even in my story the fanonly large bustline is there, but then again most female characters have a single attribute that authors fixiate on; Luna's cute butt and large eyes, Daphne/Femblaise's hair and eyes, Pansy's suddenly cute pug nose (never have figured out that one) and whatever feature Ginny or Hermione develop usually deep chocolate brown eyes or what not. I am just as guilty as my version of Harry in Bungle keeps referring to Hermione as "Funbags" obviously my own breast fixiation is carrying over to my writing.

Maybe one brave romance writer out there will do the Harry/Millicent Bulstrode story where Harry clearly has decided not to go for looks alone.

Jim

13. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

so it was a sexual joke? i am thick. im the kinda guy who would sit there, hear that and go, "hey now, i hate swimming." didnt get that at all.

14. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Oddly enough I enjoyed this fic.

Considering it hasn't been updated in nearly a year and a half, with the authors last update about 7 months ago, I doubt it will be updated once more, although it might since it has been a long time since his last update, and he takes a long time writing.

One thing that I actually realized with this fic was Harry not going to the Leaky Cauldron, never actually thought of it the way this story portrays it. Always thought it was fine whenever he spent the summer there of his own accordance.

I'm not sure why but from the end of chapter 2 I understood there might have been some form of incest going on with the two elder Bones, no?

Maybe it was just the pervert in me.

The Diary entries start getting a bit generic...

'oh what a wonderful...'

'I can hardly believe...'

Or the begining to a diary entry. I know that it is how the story is told but I had a journal for almost three years and believe me, you don't always start off the bat with a 'you won't believe what happened...'

So the entries seemed a bit unbelieveable if not generic, since that is what we are lead to believe a journal should start off as.

One date also seemed messed up, I was under the impression Harry's trial occured in '95 not '93 as the author believes.

I liked it.

4/5

15. MacMar

MacMar Squib

It has a good start. I am sick to f*ing death of postOotP fics that start out with Harry in the car home from King Cross, or hanging around being depressed at number 4. I know that's how it has to start but those writers need to at least pretend to try and be new and creative.
    Mac.

16. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Even better, when he starts getting abused by 'Uncle Vernon', he actually uses his motherfucking brain/wand and attempts to GTFO there.

I mean really, the amount of fics in where he just let him do whatever the fuck he liked or the author thought it would be nice to have Vernon fucking rape him, in order to get him warmed up to a slash pairing of - Snape/Draco/Ron/Dumbledore/Vamipyre!OMC/Voldemort/Grawp, just makes me want to kick a kitten. Or two.

Ahsun

17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Firstly, abandoned.

Second, sucks.

Kind of.

As someone mentioned before the thought process of a girl writing her diary isn't very convincing. There's a half-hearted effort at discussing girly topics such as hair, but otherwise it's quite stilted, especially the part where Susan expresses her hope Harry will open up to her.

It's a little too sickeningly sentimental (fluffy, whatever).

The author also has some strange proclivities:

The writing is solid but unvivid, coupled with the fact it has been abandoned for so long and showed no sign of a plot, 3/5.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh, I really liked that. Wish there would be more of it; it's a great start. Also, if you really have to have abusive!Dursleys, this is the definite way to go. Here, it turns out that they were under the influence of a potion, which explains their non-Canon-ish behaviour; and added to that Harry finally gets enough of it and does the logical thing, using magic to protect himself.

With that alone, this story from '05 basically pwns every other shitty Post-OotP-Hey-let's-do-nothing-while-Vernon-beats-the-crap-out-of-me-story that came after it. And finally, it's relevant to the plot, as it leads in a logical and uncontrived way to Harry ending up with the Bones'.

As Andro said; solid writing; the diary entries from Susan I personally didn't mind, and it basically has every potential for a 5/5 story -- if only it was a story, not a start, and not abandoned. Still, for what is there, 4/5.