1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete There is Only Power by loralee1 - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by RagefulLlama, Dec 6, 2005.

1. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Title: There is Only Power
    Author: loralee1
    Rating: K+
    Pairing: unknown
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 46,134
    Updated: December 12, 2005
    Published: November 30, 2005

Category: General/Action/Adventure
    Summary:AU Post OotP, possible HBP content but not HBP complient, No pairing.Independant Harry. Summer after 5th year

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2683136/1/

It has potential and I thought I would add to the new influx of stories.
    *WARNING* some parts may be considered borders cliche.

Checked by Minion, December 11, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    im loving it so far. As you said there are some bits that might be thought slightly cliched, but otehr bits are very original (who's have thought of having a goblin guardian) and it is over all very good.

From the publishing and latest update dates it seems to be ratehr good speed wise.

I would definately advise it for people to read.

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

It was interesting at first, what with Ravenclaw's library and Snape the slave, but it kinda lost me when it started going on about standard "Gooblins are good but for some reason misunderstood" bullshit and other mushy crap regarding nice Snape and Dudley.

4. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Read it. Not to bad. It started of great but the tempo has slowed down a little bit too much, but I like it anyway, and I will keep reading.

5. I really like this. I never thought of Harry having a goblin guardian- definately original! I just hope they update soon - I want to see what'll happen with Dumbledore when Harry goes back to Hogwarts!

6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I didnt like the Ravenclaw study. Every story that i've seen that is similar is always shit so I stopped after that.

7. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I agree with Zev about the tempo dropping, but i'm not a fan of this Ravenclaw study...why didn't he just take the book case? meh i think i'll stick with it though could prove to become entertaining later. *shrugs*

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I'm a fan of loralee's other works--Time to Learn and Redefining Summer--but this one didn't do it for me. It was written for NaNoWriMo, and it certainly feels rushed and unpolished. It's complete, but it's only got 42k words and more cliches than you can shake a stick at.

Harry finds a secret room of Ravenclaw's, basically giving him access to any book he wants, and he uses it to become an overnight prodigy. He teaches himself wandless magic, thwarts a DE attack at Privet Dr., removes Snape's dark mark, discovers Dumbledore's manipulations and that he is really Lord Potter, becomes friends with Griphook, etc.

There is the novelty of Harry asking a goblin to become his guardian, but it's not enough to outweigh the generic feel that pervades the rest of the fic.

3/5 - it's not bad, but it's not as strong as her later work

9. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Agreed, this is just an average Indy!Harry fic. Some decent moments though, as long as you can stomach all the clichés.

3/5

10. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

So first off, this fic is 13 chapters, decided to read it and see how it is for review.

Right off the bat, oh boy:

Holy mother of cliches Batman. Is Harry going to get everything? Will Griphook show up in this story when Harry goes to inherit a billion families? Find out in about 3 mins, same bat time, same bat post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3eCRovzbfw

Oh gee, I wonder where this is going. :rolleyes:

Harry and Dudley getting along? Man, I guess Harry could put aside those beatings pretty quickly.

It ought to be a dog, with him being a bitch and all.

Why the hell is this not in the area where it's suppose to be?

Talk about grade inflation.

Harry goes Rambo and ends up defeating Death Eaters at the Dursley's.

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BANS3gKTx_w

Aurors and Dumbledore show up, Dumbledore says it's time to go. Of course, Harry much rather stay at the obviously unprotected place that he has such sweet memories at. :rolleyes:

Harry finds out the Potters are filthy rich, and that Dumbledore has been hiding information from him. Harry ends up getting the dark mark off snape, the would be attempted slave owner of his dead mother.

No..No..NOOOOOO!

Fuck, Griphook, how the hell does Harry remember this goblin? He can barely remember anything he learns in class :rolleyes:

Why no, one of the most accomplished Wizards ever was lying to me and maybe even stealing from me! Because you know, he needs the money. I guess teachers don't get paid much in the Wizarding World either huh?

Ah fuck, the 2nd most known Goblin, originality is certainly on life support in this story.

Fuck, this story's going off life support. He's Lord Potter, what's next? Lord Gryffindor.

This basically sums up me at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05GGny6qhSM&feature=related

Of course, he then gets the Black Accounts..

:eek:...:eek:...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foEFdk0KHZE

Okay, I tried, I really really tried to get through this fic. However, I have made my decision only six of thirteen chapters through. If you want dear reader, feel free to read the cliche list yourself. I'm willing to bet it will filled of Harry/disgruntled Snape who at first doesn't want to accept Harry's friendship but does so. Evil Dumbledore, and Voldemort being reduced to a henchmen to a Batman villain.

1/5, and a wish for this to be gone from the Library.