1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

So much slash!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Osiris, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Why the fuck is it that everytime i go on FF.nuts and look up HP stories that are over 20K 80-90% of it is FUCKING SLASH! I'm starting to think that it's the only shit there, what possess' people to start writing FUCKING GOD DAMN SLASH?!

2. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

A good majority of Slash is written by teenage girls that seem to find it hot. Considering that the majority of the fandom is actually teenagers it seems inevitable. As for the shear abundance of the stuff I don't know, perhaps the number of girls in the fandom is more than boys or there are more anal receptive people in the world today.

3. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Both that and combined with the cycle effect. The more teenage girls write about slash:

1. The more other teenage girls would be encouraged to write it. While...
    2. Others who dislike slash are discouraged from writing and visiting ff.net entirely.

So, we get screwed x2 and as time goes on, we get even more screwed...>< Add to the fact that on average decent length slash fics are better written than non slash fics, not the least of which is because girls at that age DO write better than guys...well we kind are backed to a corner.

The only good thing is that I now have no reservation about writing stuff that the fairer sex may view with distaste. (no offense of course, but I'm marketing to a particular constituency :p )

4. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

There is also the sheer stupidity and obscene wish these teenage girls have to see that Harry ends up whipped by Draco Malfoy or Snape for that matter; or just generally whipped in any possible situation. Unfortunately for those of us that don’t like slash, we are the minority.

I have no inkling of why this is so, nor do I presume to understand the thoughts of the week minded mass of teenage hormones that rule this very twisted aspect of the fandom; an aspect of fandom that seams to be all consuming and constantly spreading.

In my opinion, the admins in FF.net are gay or sex deprived women who like all the slash, because all the good writers have been pushed out, their stories erased and the authors themselves put on probation, while all these atrocious slash fics are left to fester and reproduce, unchecked or unchallenged.

I have half a mind to just create a new account named Mr. Filch, and go report all those stories like a pair of students found in a broom cupboard. Maybe that way it will help control them.

* He stays within the darkest corners of the room, his black hood and robe hiding him within the shadows. His eerie amber like eyes reflecting the torch light from time to time as the only sound that is heard apart from his voice is that of a blade being sharpened.*

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

LMAO, you do that and I'll make one named Vernon Dursley and report slash fics for unnaturalness and freakishness.

6. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

Sweet...someone should make a Mrs. Norris as well, maybe Peeves. But then again, there are a lot of those stories, and I realized after I posted that, that you’d probably have to read a bit of them to base the reports on. *shudders*

I think that’s another reason why the slash fic’s are still there. There’s no one to report them and all. And to get them erased you need to be sure of the contents, I think. Ugh, I dunno, but I’m open to suggestions.

7. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

haha everyone has an alias and we can terrorize ff.net!

8. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

You know, I would tell you all why teenage girls like slash, but I really don't know. I hate slash. It disgusts me and I just can't stand it. In fact, I hate most romance. Give me a good horror story any day. Most of the time, if I see the category is Romance, I won't even touch it. I think I'm one of the very few teenage girls who think like that.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Normally, stories with slash are focused on the romance and not much else either which is annoying. Urgh, it will be the death of me.

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Actually, I can sympathize with female authors. Girls generally like romance but seeing as Harry is a boy, they are forced to write it from the male's POV (or to turn Harry into girl, like in some stories).

If I were to write a story in some other fandom where the main character is a girl (ex: Lara Croft), I know I would have a hell of a time with romance part. Just thinking about trying to write some girl falling for a guy from her POV makes me wanna vomit. I would have probably either skipped the romance part alltogether or did what the slash writers do - turned, let's say, Lara Croft into a lesbian and described some hot lezbo action.

This is just so you don't judge female slash authors too harshly.

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I was actually having this type of convo with a friend of mine yesterday on the bus after school...

We actually had some common ground... We both loathe Harry/Ginny and thought that the 6th book was some type of bad joke.

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

:evil: You can say that again, I mean shit, the one thing that racked me the most was all the damn memories. I. Dont. Care. About. Volde. Just kill his ass in gruesome Dakaath fashion and be done with it bitch!

13. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Which is good considering when it comes to romance at least one time or another you've been called insensitive! (i know i have but thats nothing new, pussy is pussy it's all pink)! If anything the Females should beable to write better straight pairing fics then when it comes to guys writing it as they know what a chick wants. :puke: damn slash shit it's a plague on FF.nuts.

There we go i seriously agree with that last bit of that quote madeye it's a virus come to wipe out all the good, STRAIGHT stories.

14. Aba4th

Aba4th First Year

Slash doesn't really phase me, probably because I'm not a guy.

Fem Slah is completely and utterly disgusting. I accidently stumbled across a Hermione Ginny fic and I swear I nearly barfed. :evil:

15. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Haha, I think most of us don't mind femslash, just slash.

16. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I mind them both. Femmeslash doesn't disgust me as much, but it's still just about as contrived and unrealistic in most cases as its male-centric counterpart. I see these Cho/Hermione fics that make me want to scream sometimes. I mean honestly...Cho despises Hermione in canon, and I'd say the feeling's somewhat mutual given how Cho ended up treating Harry in the fifth book.

17. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Exactly, heterosexual guys don't mind femslash for the same reason heterosexual girls don't mind slash. I guess if you are bi, you are good with everything. :p Hooray for them.

I hope you are staying away from girls' dormatory, sera. God that place blows, badly...

And ip82, that makes sense I guess, but at the same time makes it even more impossible for readers outside its intended sex/sex orientation pool to stand.

Oh, but I think most would agree with me that even if we attack slash and pledge never to read them, we very much recognize the talents of many many slash writers. Heck, I think we might be more pissed by the fact that some slash fics are very good rather than that many are bad. (well at least I'm) I read this piece called Mirror of Maybe by midnight blue on ff.net (gone now) and it was -at least until like chapter 15 - like the most beautiful semi AU/time travel (oh DAMN was the concept good and orginal) piece ever created. Good plot, good fights, spendid use of spellwork, most imaginative development of magic theory, and absolutely brilliant, brilliant dialogue. Stunning piece of fiction.

...of course, it's Harry/Severus, with godly Harry chasing sniverlus * :wall: :puke: and over an elven goddess too!!!

Anyway, I mean, I can't back it up objectively, but I just feel that statistically, it's a hell lot harder to find good non slash stories of certain criterias than slash equivalents.

18. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

On principle I don't mind either, provided it's well-written and not fluffy. Unfortunately, most is badly done and on faulty or flimsy premises.
    I'm attempting to chase away an evil femslash plot bunny, but it won't leave.

19. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

I don't really mind femslash... I mean, you see girls (even though theyre friends) holding hands and hugging in public so you probably get over it quickly but i hardly ever see that with guys.

but slash!!

Ick! The image of a guy and another guy going at it is... *Shivers* :headshot: :wall:

Most of the slash in ff.net is probably good based on the number of reviews it receives(and that's the only thing im basing that on since i never open slash and when stories i read are leaning in that direction, i quickly click the big X on the top right of my screen...). I agree with you guys about the sex-depraved admins in ffnet...

20. weaponx9

weaponx9 Squib

I think i might be able to read slash as long as it aint the main character and no one really talks about it. (like having a gay best friend, "be gay i dont care just don't talk to me about it").

with femslash i could read it but it would have to be at least plausable, come on hermione and cho wouldn't work. (unless of course its one of those hurt people you love).