1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Hold Fast and pass me the rum!

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by the-caitiff, May 27, 2007.

1. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the Colors high.
    Heave ho,
    thieves and beggars,
    never shall we die.

Pirates Of the Caribbean At World's End is finally out (okay so it came out thursday but I didn't get a chance to see it until just now). There is only one thing to say;
    EPIC!
    I absolutely loved this movie. It's hands down better than the second, chock full of caribbean mythology and flavor. Loved the story, loved the setting, loved the special effects, and loved the characters.

One thing I REALLY loved was the revelation of who Jack Sparrow really is. I can legitimately claim his father in my family tree (great X11 uncle), so that's kind of nifty. Made that sort of "everyman" kinship really come alive for me and my brother. Then again half of central Georgia or low country South Carolina can make a similar claim if they take the time to trace their roots. I expect it'll play really well there. His father is something of a mythic figure but I don't want to spoil anything.

2. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Agreed... Although the trailer after the credits was not surprising... I sort of expected it... I don't want to spoil the movie for you guys but all I can say is please go ahead and watch and ignore whatever the critics had said...

3. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I saw it today also and was very disapointed. The romance was totally stupid and retardedly strung together. The humor if it can be called humor, sucked ass and was meant more for little kids who laugh at people slipping on banana peels. Jack sparrows mind people were just stupid filler. Another sucky thing was that Kieth Richards was in it, and for the 5 minutes hes in the picture he picks up a Fucking guitar and plays in the background. Totally fucking gay. The whole storyline of calypso was stupid also.

But what really took the cake was the," Take it , its always belonged to you anyway."

-1/5

And on top of all that the guy sitting next to me had the most foul fucked up breath in the world.

I'm not even going to buy the dvd.

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  4. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well thanks for spoiling it, first off. Secondly, after seeing it, (haha no spoiler for me) I must say that my avatar of two weeks shall probably remain so forever, since he is probably my favorite movie character of all time, followed by V. I thought it was much Epiczorz. Ignore the critics indeed. Aqua de Vita FTW.

5. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    It had its ups and downs. I did like a lot of it, but some of it was downright moronic.
    What sane person would repeatedly trust someone who repeatedly betrayed them? How many betrayals were in that movie anyways? 5? 10? 20? Also, you outnumber the enemy over 100 to one, you do not retreat just because your commander's ship was destroyed. The next ranking officer takes over and the fight continues. Even assuming the commander was stupid enough to get involved with the fighting.

6. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

The following spoiler is my favourite quote from the entire movie (which I just watched)

(After he leaves the cell on The Flying Dutchman)

"Such a charming fellow"-Sparrow 1

"I miss him already"-Sparrow 2

"Nobody move. I've dropped my brain."-Sparrow 3

However DemonDream:

You've just seen you greatest asset be swallowed by a whirlpool, only to come up moments later and double-team with the enemy's ship and blast your head ship to pieces.

Now, if you were in their position, what would you do?

About the betrayals... except from the fact they expected the other to follow the deal and/or code, I can't think of anything else.

7. Darkmakr

Darkmakr Seventh Year

I happened to enjoy it because it was so damn epic, the lines, the battles, the rediculousness of pirates in general. You can't take movies like this seriously because of the subject matter. Of course there's going to be backstabbing and crazy epic fights, they are PIRATES! would you expect less?

8. afrojack

My favorite part is when the min-Jacks come out of his hair and start talking to him. Makes you wonder what else he keeps in those dreads.

9. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

The romance was fucked up...they get to see each other once every 10 years?! WTF? The sea goddess thing was ok since it was a dead end. Jack and Barbossa are still best characters. Jack's dad and mom...were interesting. The twists were good.
    What jack does at the very end with the map...it the best.
    Overall a Good Movie.

10. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

It was much better than the second movie and the only thing I didn't like was the romance in the ending; it was just to Disney.

Did anyone notice how the movie pretty much ended how the first movie started?:

1) Jack ends up without his ship, in a small boat.
    2) everything is basically alright.
    3) A new adventure is about to start.

EDIT: I tried to make it a spoiler, where you have to highlight, but couldn't make it work. How do you do that?

EDIT nr. 2: Thanks Mindless

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  11. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Spoiler is [spoiler /spoiler] with the center brackets that are currently removed so the damn thing will show.

See?

12. Hestan

Hestan Squib

I very much enjoyed the movies and have no real complaints besides the fact that it was a little long. I made the mistake of getting a large drink while seeing it and by the end my bladder felt like it should explode. But other then that the only thing I cant understand is how is it that Barbossa is a pirate lord to my understanding he wasnt even a captain till he took over the pearl from Jack in the first movie.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I was disappointed also. I agree about the romance - but what do you expect from Disney? - but the humor wasn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Some of it was pretty funny.
    Yup. Pretty much.

That Pirate King bullshit was another thing that made me roll by eyes in disgust. Seriously. Making her a captain was bad enough, but the Pirate King? Pathetic.

And no one seems to stay dead in this fucking series. First Barbossa, then Jack - whom I didn't mind coming back because of the lulz - and then Will. Jesus. Die already and stay that way.

Lulz for Jack's mother. :)

14. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Did anyone else wait till the end of the credits?

If you did you got to see
    Will seeing Elizabeth after 10 years, she didn't look a day older though and she had a son with her, the same boy as at the start of the movie

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Spoil that for me, I missed it.

I thought it was alright, better then I expected. Keira actually looked fuckable in some parts, then in others she looked like a 12 year old. Weird flip back and forth. Making her a captain sucked, and the King was flat out horrible.

Keith Richards as his dad was decent, but having him sit back and play guitar was.. ug. The Sea goddess story line was a bit much, but I didn't see Will taking over for Davey coming until right as it happened.

Way too much time was blown with him in the sand with the crabs.

Over all, I liked the 2nd one better, it flowed better, much more epic. This one was a clusterfuck of a bunch of different ideas that, while looked cool on screen, didn't mesh well together for me

16. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Someone said "Hang the code!" during the pirate lord's meeting. Keith Richard's character shot him and Barbosa whispers, "It's Captain Teach!" in awe. Jack greets hims as family and enquires about dear old mum, only to discover she's now a shrunken head.

Edward Teach was an assumed name that one captain took in the early 18th century when he was just starting out in Nassau. In his later, more prosperous years he was known as Blackbeard and raised all kinds of hell along the coasts of North and South Carolina (most notably blockading Charleston Harbor for several months).

Since Edward Teach was an assumed name there is no firm genealogical records for him but we do know that he first appeared when he signed on as a cabin boy, leaving Port Royal at the end of the 17th century. During the blockade at Charleston he took a ship coming into port. On board were several members of the Morgan family who were planning to start anew in South Carolina. Teach stopped his crew from taking their possesions and sent them ashore in a skiff. He reportedly told them that he would not cause harm come to kin, leading some in the family to speculate that he was Sir Henry's bastard son.

Regardless of whether his initial claims of kinship to the Morgan family was true, some of his descendants later married into the line. Some of my mother's family celebrate the connection to two famous captains, others treat it like a dirty little secret. Personally I think it's rather neat to have Sir Henry Morgan and Edward Teach in the family but it's not like it really means anything since they're hundreds of years dead.

17. Zield

Zield Fourth Year

My opinion runs pretty much the same as the rest of you.

The romance was stupid and annoying, as was making Kiera Captain and King.

I loved Keith's part except for the guitar that was stupid and I groaned when I saw it but it was expected and what are you going to do. Though Caitiff I hate to burst your bubble but Keith's character's name was Captain Teague not Teach though the character was more than likely based on him.

The end battle was probably the longest battle I've ever seen in a movie of this kind and It felt to me kind of dragging even though it was the climax it was a come on get on with it already moment for me.

But all in all it was a pretty enjoyable movie and just like the age old tv formula lots of stuff has happened but at the end everything is back to where it was in the beginning.

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh, I was really hoping for Calico Jack Rackham to be his father, since Jack used his flag and all.

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I liked this movie much more than the second. Almost as much as the first.

I still think that the best part of the series, though, is the soundtrack. I just can't get that song out of my head.

20. afrojack

I don't know, I liked this movie much much better than the second one, and I like the ending better than even the first one. My love of Jack Sparrow as a character outweighs my love for the movies themselves I guess, which was why I was so happy about how this one ended, with him setting sail for immortality. All I can say is that if this is the last one, I'd say that the series is an Epic win.

Jack and Barbosa pretty much make it, as has been said, and while Kiera was a little much, I was under the impression that the movies were originally supposed to be focused on her and Will anyway, and that Johnny Depp just stole the show from them both with his superior acting.

As far as Captain Teague, I don't think that was so much of a historical hint as it was to pay tribute to Keith Richards, which is who Depp supposedly based Sparrow's character off of, or at least the accent.

Can someone tell me what the significance of his mother being a shrunken head is?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007