1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Something Grim This Way Comes by Ruskbyte - GrimAdvent - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by drake33, Dec 10, 2005.

1. drake33

drake33 Squib

Title: Something Grim This Way Comes
    Author:Ruskbyte
    Rating: T(PG13)
    Category: Humor/Parody
    Crossover: The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 68,629
    Updated: January 1, 2011
    Published: November 18, 2005

Summary: Harry is about to start his first year at Hogwarts. With him comes his cynical, somewhat unofficial (not to mention bent on world domination) girlfriend; Mandy. And they're also bringing their mutual best friend (i.e.: indentured servant) the Grim Reaper himself.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2666277/1/
    Link: http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/Something_Grim_This_Way_Comes/index/

Checked by Minion, January 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Nice first chapter, interesting idea.

Could turn great if Ruskbyte keeps it up, which I somehow doubt, seeing how the man seems to be on permanent semi-hiatus.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Hrn...I sorta started losing interest when Harry was Sorted into Gryffindor. It's an interesting concept, but I like for my AU fics to not have him be friends with Ron and Hermione and for him to basically have as little resemblance to his canon incarnation as possible. I might keep following the story when it's updated again. If nothing else, the concept is quite original.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I'm with you there, concerning AU's.

It's appaling how some authors start developing AU and give Harry a new powers/background, only to stick him back in the fucking Gryffindor, with the weasel and the beaver and with the same fucking plot as in PS.

Like it's so hard to invent some original plot and put in a few new characters, or at least alter the old ones. I mean, what's the point of writing AU when you're gonna do PS scene by scene, only altering a dialogue now and then and having Harry use his super-powers to deal with the troll and whatnot...

Bah, I've seen too many stories ruined by this, last of them being "Clay Pinions".

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I find this story amusing.

It would have been better without the whole Gryffindor thing as well as the same old friends though. Plus, I would have liked Harry to be another verson of Mandy. Two monsters are better than one.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I kinda liked Harry's cool "nothing faze me" character. It seems like a perfect nexus for all the other whacky people.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I guess though he doesnt really do anything but sit back a let Mandy fight his battles... thats not very cool.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Though Grim's character does sorta exist to be abused, having him (and in the latter instance a Goddess also) get owned by Mrs. Weasley and Snape sorta irks me.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Mrs Weasley... I really hate her. The two female Weasley's...

10. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

this story is weard good but weard

11. Aura

Aura Seventh Year

This story is Hilarious. It's too bad he's not continuing it though. I had a blast reading this.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I didn't like it that much.

Don't know why. Maybe I'll try it again.

13. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

I liked it....a lot.

14. silvananoir

silvananoir First Year

This gets a kudos from me, simply because the crossover pairing is interesting and different from the usual LOTR or Charmed. That said it is kind of dull after a while, and I lost interest.

15. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Kentucky, but my heart is still north of here...
    I thought this was one of the funniest stories I've ever read on ff.net or in the HP fandom! Funnnnnny! Mandy was right on target (and, come on, the Sorting Hat's reaction was priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Grim was great and at least Ruskbyte didn't make Harry as doltlike as Billy...

::snickers in memory:: Love the story!

16. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Whoa now, Missy. Let's not get carried away with the exclamation points and half a dozen letter Ns in the word funny. Remember there's a difference between DLP and instant messaging. When you post crap that looks like a instant message, people have a tendency to want to see your insides on your outsides. And then they want to strangle you with your insides. And find the poison sacks in your body and feed them to your pet. This is a forum, not a conversation. Posts here stay up until the end of time. Well, the end of the site at least. Or an unrecoverable database failure. Either way, effort is appreciated.

And on a more related note, as Ruskbyte goes I thought this was fine. It didn't captivate me the way he usually does, but I've never seen the cartoon this is crossed over with. I found it more enjoyable than his "Those Who Hunt..." one shots, but less fun than most of his stuff. Evil Be Thou My Good is easily his best crossover/fusion of worlds. Flying Without a Broom is probably his funniest stuff. This story to me is pretty average for Ruskbyte.

Which is still miles better than most everything else out there. 4/5.

17. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, nonjon, now that you've implictly allowed the necroing of this thread, I'll throw my three cents in:

I hadn't seen much of the cartoon Ruskbyte crossed over when I first read this, but afterwards I realized how much I had yet to see - and I'll be honest, that show has become one of my favorites (how often do you see the Elder God Cthulu playing golf in a cartoon?). As such, I loved this story before, and it's even better now that I've seen a zillion episodes. It's not perfect - but it's pretty damn good.

4.5/5
    -J

18. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Sorry about the use of exclamation points and n's but it's really not indicative of my use of Instant Message - where I tend to type more thoroughly than I do on message boards. I only do it when I'm emphasizing something that can't otherwise be emphasized in another way - unless I repeat myself ad nauseum. (How's that for concise use of the English Language?)

I wasn't sure if this was 'necro-ing' since I did have something to say about the story and it is a library post - not an old post in one of the other categorical areas (i.e. non-library areas).

--Bella

19. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Nope. You did just fine. If you have something worthwhile to say about a fic in the library, by all means please do so. The rules on necro don't apply to the library. It even says so in the rules:

20. belladonna16

belladonna16 Second Year

Whew, that's what I thought. I did read the rules (all however many of them there are.)

Thanks for the help.

-Bella