1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Walking Across Time by snufkin - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by M. Shadow, Jun 1, 2007.

1. M. Shadow

M. Shadow Guest

Title: Walking Across Time
    Author: snufkin
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: None.
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 20,766
    Updated: April 2, 2007
    Published: November 30, 2006

Summary: Harry travels back in time in order to kill Tom Riddle. Things don't go as planned. [Dark!Harry]
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3266523/1/

I propose this somewhat tentatively. It's fast paced, complete at just under 20,000 words. There are a few plot-holes (an almost inescapable sin with time travel fics, I believe). It’s also not a happily ever after fic, though I'd not say it ended in tragedy, either. I think the main reason I enjoyed – and propose – the story, is the dark!Harry vs. Voldemort!Riddle interaction. No redemption-through-forgiveness-and-hugs! themes here. Instead there are Plots, multiple timelines, and more than one murder attempt.

I don't think it's five-star material, but it might do as an entertaining diversion for the spare half-hour. Plus, I believe this portrayal of Harry [cynical, twisty, and none-too-scrupulous regarding murder] will probably meet with the favor of the majority of Dark Lord Potter patrons.

If not? I'll claim leniency for being new at this. ^_^

Checked by Minion, Nov. 26, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Definatly not the best story that I have read, but not the worst either. A definate easy read to waste time on a boring day.

3/5

3. malaga

malaga Auror

Heh. The story may not have been the best, but every so often there were lines that made me smile, just a little.

And (thank god for small mercies) Harry isn't the all powerful benevolent leader, who feels sorry for Voldie and comes back to adopt him. Finally, Draco's grandpa isnn't Lucius or Draco Sr. The name's Abraxas! He died of smallpox. Anyway, for great thought on little details 3.5/5

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I quite liked it actually, probably because it doesn't have the happy, smiley, ending of other time travel fics, and because Harry is a cold-hearted bastard... Its good.

There were a few spelling/grammar mistakes and it did seem a bit rushed but you can't have every story be 300,000+ words with 14.5k chapters :p.

I give it 4/5.

Aekiel

5. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

I actually really liked it. Sort of-not-really parody at the end, too, about time travel fics as a whole. I think it's worthy.

6. The Paper Blade

The Paper Blade First Year

What a nice, dark look at time-travel stories in general. I like it. I especially like the ending.

7. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

I sort of liked it. The idea was essentially decent and there were some amusing bits, but it seemed to get lost around the point where they were faking Tom Riddle's death. I found the conversation/banter in that section of the story particularly convoluted as well. The ending was...different though. It's good not to see a happily ever after for once. 3/5

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's quite good, especially the ending. A dark fic without clichés and a good portion of humour. At one point the back and forth between Augustus and Tom was confusing, and somewhere in between I wasn't sure if even snufkin herself knew where to go when she wrote it.

But all in all: 4/5.

9. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

It was ok, I liked Tom in this fic very much, I was going to rate it 4/5, but the ending was just A W E F U L, so I rate the story 3.5/5.

10. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

It is refreshing to read not so happy ending for once, as all this living happily ever after is definitely overused...

I liked the conclusion that some things are just meant to happen, and no matter what we might try we can't change the outcome, only the path hat lead to them.

3.5/5... nothing extraordinary, just a good way to kill some time...

11. snufkin

snufkin First Year

No longer a pile of snow because the pile melted.
    Well, I'm happy my fic made it into the library. I went on hiatus in the middle of writing the story so that's why it might feel severely dislocated between certain chapters. And Dark_Minion was quite right about me not knowing where I was going at a certain point of the story but I really wanted an actual "END" to a time-travelling story.

Basically, my frustration at the lack of endings/continuation for many time-travel stories translated into an expression of the futility of the genre.

Anyhow, have a fanart (my own) of Tonks as my thanks for reading.

Tonks hurrying around in the ministry.