PDA

View Full Version : Harry/Buffy

cdog21
06-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Do you guys know of any good Harry Potter/BTVS crossovers that have a pairing of either Harry/Buffy or Harry/Willow. I got intersted after I checked out Twisting the Hellmouth but combined there were only a little over 50, so I decided to see if you guys knew of any. I already checked the Alternates library and I only found 2 (1 I wasn't interested in because it had RE and the other becasue the premise didn't seem so good). Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

Snarf
06-02-2007, 11:35 PM
You're honestly not going to find any out there. If searched, hundred of times over, and have only found possibly one other tolerable cross-over between the two; and that was just barely tolerable. If I can find it, I'll edit this with the details on it. Usually, Harry just comes in and crushes all the vamps before Voldemorts and them become allies who still don't stand a chance against H/B love

nonjon
06-03-2007, 12:55 AM
I like this one quite a bit. It's got the first half of its epilogue, so it should be finished real soon.
It’s All Relative on the Hellmouth by dellacouer
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2985538/1/
Harry Potter finds a new relative in Sunnydale. PostVoldemort, Harry needs a distraction. Hope Uncle Rupert can help a powerful Harry before the power takes control.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Crossovers - Fiction Rated: T - English - Action/Adventure/Angst - Chapters: 20 - Words: 106,480 - Reviews: 842 - Updated: 5-10-07 - Published: 6-11-06

cdog21
06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
I read that one and I really liked it. Its those kinda stories im talking about good story the pairing im looking for and kinda long chapters 3-4k words. Ive got it on my alert list right now

Snarf
06-03-2007, 02:37 AM
@Nonjon- I thought that one was already up in the library? Hmm, that's why I didn't post it up. Sorry cdog21, but I guess it doesn't matter now

jts360
06-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Yeah I also read that one and liked it. However there really are not many harry/buffy stories, at least not of any significant length and quality.

To me it seems like an obvious pairing that should be very popular, but for some reason is not. Oddly enough as far as I can recall there are more btvs/hp crossovers that have slash pairings. For example harry/spike, which really makes no sense (of course few slash stories tend to make sense).

Seems like an avoided and unexplored area to me. Where both hp and btvs separately are already well explored.

cdog21
06-03-2007, 03:29 PM
What about good ones that are Harry/Willow. I read the ones at TtH already.

Lucinda
06-05-2007, 12:23 AM
To me it seems like an obvious pairing that should be very popular, but for some reason is not. Oddly enough as far as I can recall there are more btvs/hp crossovers that have slash pairings. For example harry/spike, which really makes no sense (of course few slash stories tend to make sense).

(sarcasm) but of course Harry/Spike makes sense! (sarcasm off)
In all seriousness, most of those fics would be almost exactly the same as a Harry/Draco, except with Spike in as Draco, you get a bit more blood and violence and now it's a crossover... (oops, the sarcasm came back into things.) There has been much fuss in the crossover circles about Spike-Draco comparisons, based on (sarcastic drumroll) they both wear dark clothing, have very pale blond hair slicked back (Spike's hair is bleached, you twits! He's not a natural blond. The books make a very strong case that Draco is a natural blond. Bleach abuse isn't one of Draco's sins. He's got plenty of others to make up for it.) Both are British and are introduced as guys on the wrong side of the good/evil divide. (sarcasm) of course Draco is simply a younger and mortal version of Spike.... (sarcasm off)

All those Harry/Spike fics are probably written by people who think no farther than 'Danny Radcliff = cute! squeee!1! James Marsters = hot! squeee!!1 Slashy goodness! Squeeee!!11!' yeah, the 1's are there on purpose. I have a low opinion of most slash writers. They don't kep anybody in character, and their reasoning for everything seems to come down to 'but they look good together!' I despise that as the reasoning for any pairing. Doubly so for slash, triply so for slash in characters that are presented in cannon as straight. Granted, you might be able to make a case for Draco as gay, but I don't believe it of Harry.

(cuts off grumbles about narrow plot uses of characters with non-traditional roles & abilities. This isn't the place.)

The other big slashy pairing that I see in BtVS/HP crossovers is Harry/Xander, and I can only picture those characters hearing that, spit-taking their drinks and saying some variation of 'what the hell are you smoking?!?'

To go back to the original question, I know there are hundreds of Harry/Buffy fics in the BtVS crossover section at fanfiction.net - at least, judging by the summaries of the fics. I wouldn't be able to tell you which if any of them are good, I don't care for most stories that focus on Buffy (she's not my cup of tea), and many of the summries scare me. They are there, but they may quite easily suck. Or it may be that they appeal to you but not me. BtVS/HarryPotter is a very popular crossover.

nonjon
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Err... I don't think there are hundreds of Harry/Buffy fics with Harry/Buffy as the primary romantic relationship. If you just mean that as Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer crossover, then yes. There's a number where the scoobs come to Hogwarts (haven't yet found one worth recommending), ones where Willow is a lost Weasley (again... eurgh), and I don't even want to think of the number of times Buffy has secretly been a Potter or a Malfoy (super-BLARG).

Now if I may generalize and stereotype for a moment, I can speculate on exactly why so many of these attempts at crossovers fail miserably. It's because Buffy is a tv show, filled with enough angst, drama, and cute boys that a big portion of its audience are squeeing fangirl types. The ones with usernames like xoxox~TomFeltonsLuv~xoxox. These are the types that go all Linda Blair with their Tom Felton Draco dolls, stabbing their bloody vaginas, and making their mothers eat it. Wait no. They don't do that. Instead they write slash. And want to save Spike. And Snape and Draco. They always are good guys. They always are dashing. Whether its Draco/Buffy or Draco/Willow or some slash combination that'll make your eyes bleed. The types who think Draco=Felton and Snape=Rickman need that piece of visualization to match it with their fangirl obsessions with Buffy's hot hunks of man meat.

I mean checking TTH for Harry Potter crossovers and pairing with Willow. There are 27 fics with Harry/Willow, there are 54 fics with Draco/Willow, and there are 84 with Snape/Willow. I know many are just drabbles or are so short they barely count but still.

This is the sort of audience you're dealing with. And that's why so many of the fics out there suck.

Crazy1
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Why not Harry/Faith? Everyone needs a little psycho in their lives. Nah, we have a million tonnes of bad Buffy/Faith in the Buffy fandom. Most of them are smut. Guess which demographic wrote those.

Aekiel
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Femmeslash ain't so bad in my opinion :P. Though, most of it is badly written crap, the likes of which slashers and xxxbloodyristsxxx tend to come up with, there are a couple of gems in the sand. Only problem is finding them.

Aek

Kung_lou
06-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Self plug - Chaos on the Hellmouth (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3225186/1/)

Working on the next chapter, so it should breech 50K words soon, ave chapter length ~8K words

It may or may not be a Harry/Buffy but something is going on there.

cdog21
06-08-2007, 12:07 AM
WOW. . .I think thats all I can say about that. I mean all I asked was do you guys know of any good H/B or H/W where the heck did slashiness come in. And to mention in crossing I have yet to find a Harry/Faith and im not even gonna try with all the blandness, repetive writing, and same sex things (girl on girl gets boring really quick and boy on boy just squicks me out)

nonjon
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I know you didn't ask for it, but this is a decent fic that is heading towards Harry/Faith. For me it's second to dellaceour's Harry/Buffy that I plugged above, but this is one of the few Buffy crossovers I happily recommend:
Harry Potter and the Exiled Slayer by M. Scott Eiland
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2778565/1/
Faith departs from Sunnydale after disposing of Mr. Trick, and wanders for months before meeting someone who has more in common with her than she would have expected. BtVSHP crossover.
Buffy X-overs - Fiction Rated: T - English - Action/Adventure/Romance - Chapters: 10 - Words: 43,262 - Reviews: 109 - Updated: 3-17-07 - Published: 1-31-06
Though on TTH, I don't think there's a single mention of any Harry/Faith fics. Of course there's a Faith/Kingsley and a Faith/Neville but no Faith/Harry. Audible sigh.

KenderCleric
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Though on TTH, I don't think there's a single mention of any Harry/Faith fics. Of course there's a Faith/Kingsley and a Faith/Neville but no Faith/Harry. Audible sigh.

Faith/Neville? :confused:

What sicko would do that to poor Neville?

nonjon
06-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Faith/Neville?

What sicko would do that to poor Neville?

After your comments, I decided to read it. It's not bad. Pretty sweet. A bit on the fluffy side of course but for some reason I can completely see their differing personalities working.
Gotta be larger than life by Norwegianne
http://www.tthfanfic.com/Story-5264/Norwegianne+Gotta+be+larger+than+life.htm
Neville Longbottom was running from something, when he met Faith.
Chapters [10] • Words [12,125] • Recs [0] • Reviews [54] • Hits [10,610] • Published [25 Sep 04] • Updated [6 Jan 05] • Completed [Yes]

KenderCleric
06-08-2007, 01:32 PM
After your comments, I decided to read it. It's not bad. Pretty sweet. A bit on the fluffy side of course but for some reason I can completely see their differing personalities working.

Huh. Well good for Neville! 4/5 I 'spose. Thanks for the unusual rec there nonjon.

cdog21
06-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Hey Non that was a good find on that Harry/Faith deal. In fact I think I should clarify my question as do any of you guys know of any good stories that have Harry paired with one of the hotties from BTVS. But I still can't see Neville and bad girl Faith being in the same room without him blushing and running away.

Banta
06-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Harry Potter and the Dawn of the Dead by Erised Burning
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3231973/1/
HPBuffyRE crossover. Feeling trapped by the prophecy, Harry ditches the Order and Privet Drive, only to find himself searching for kidnapped slayers in Raccoon City.
X-overs - Fiction Rated: M - English - Action/Adventure/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 7 - Words: 73,584 - Reviews: 49 - Updated: 5-21-07 - Published: 11-5-06
My current favorite Buffy/HP crossover; Shackelbolt is actually used as a real character and not just another meat shield, an evil corporate empire, and enough zombies to shake a stick at.

Good times!

zUzaque
06-14-2007, 12:54 AM
I never get that saying, wouldn't you only need one zombie to shake a stick at?

Mr. Merriman
06-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Hmn. Interesting topic, since these are my two favorite fandoms. Unfortunately, I despise crosses between these fandoms, so I very, very rarely read them, and those generally involve some sort of trans-dimensional transfer. A good Potterverse/Buffyverse cross, for example, is Prophecies? We Don't Need No Stinking Prophecies! (http://www.tthfanfic.com/Story-8583/Greywizard+Prophecies+We+Don+t+Need+No+Stinking+Pr ophecies.htm) by GreyWizard. It doesn't quite meet your qualifications, though, since Harry is raised by the Scoobies (Post-Chosen) rather than romantically involved with Buffy, Willow, or Faith. it is, however, Harry-Centric, for the most part.

Honestly, I can't see a Harry/Buffy pairing at all. Even for a Post-OotP or Post-HBP story, he's only in Buffy's age bracket for S1 and S2, and both of those seasons have Buffy/Angel as a major plot arc. Buffy always goes for the older guy, in canon. Thus, in my opinion, Harry/Buffy is about as realistic (relatively speaking) as as Harry/Bellatrix, and much less exciting while much more challenging.

Harry/Willow is alright, in theory, I suppose, but only if you want to go with another red-head. Also, from about mid-S4 onward, Willow is a confirmed lesbian. While her previous heterosexual relationships mean that she could simply be bisexual, it is established that she seeks relationship partners primarily from the female side of the pool. On the other hand, it is established in S7 that she does not mind having a much younger partner.

For Harry/Faith, it's much more complicated and less realistic. From the point that Faith is introduced on Buffy, S3, she is portrayed as a wild child, a rebellious spirit who disdains relationships for one-night stands and dislikes intimacy. Due to her inability to let herself get emotionally close to the Scoobies, she becomes mentally unstable and flips, working for the Big Bad, the ultimate villain of each season of Buffy, usually defeated during the season finale. In this case, it was Mayor Wilkins. From that point on in the season, she was little different than a practicing Death Eater, from a Harry Potter point of view. In S3, she is put in a coma by Buffy, which she does not wake from until Buffy's S4. It isn't until S7 Buffy (S4 Angel) that she is both repentant, on the side of the angels, and free from prison (escaped, but good at hiding and with a lot of people backing her up). At this point, she tentatively begins a semi-relationship with Robin Wood, so this pairing would have to be either before Fatih got to Sunnydale, or post S7 without going off on an AU of Buffy (not uncommon in crossovers) and allowing her the chance to flee and meet Harry. I still don't see any sort of relationship forming. They are both too emotionally needy, and they are, in my mind, incompatible partners, sort of like Harry/Draco (ignoring the slash aspect for the moment, those two are simply not compatible characters at all).

Anyway, that's my, well, rather large rant, actually. Be glad I didn't go into why I hate this particular cross in the first place. ;P So saying, I think you're very unlikely to find a Harry-Buffy crossover with a H/B, H/W, or H/F pairing written with even vague promise.

A typical example of the quality of writing in these crossovers is:

The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light (http://www.ficwad.com/viewstory.php?sid=15439)

nonjon
06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Bah and humbug.

I suppose we could nitpick the holes in your opinion on HP/BtVS crossovers, but its way too dependent on your taste in both Harry fic and Buffy fic.

I certainly don't agree with most of your comments. I've only seen Buffy seasons 1-5 because I've heard enough about the rest of the series to have zero interest in ruining my opinions of the characters. The show just nosedived downhill, but the characters have been likable enough that people kept watching. And of course the squeeing fangirls got their way on a lot of it too, so they kept watching.

Personally, I think the show was at its best in the earlier seasons. Spike makes for a fine and humorous villain but the moment he thought he was in love with Buffy killed every ounce of interest in his character. It'd be like Snape suddenly being what all the fangirls want him to be. Or your average 'let's understand Draco while he boinks Harry' fic. It'd ruin the only redeeming aspects of his character as a lecherous and entertaining villain. Sometimes he can be the lesser of two evils and help out the good guys, but he's only worthwhile while still evil.

The addition of Dawn was just god-awful. Oh yes, just as these teens are getting out of their annoying teenage phase, let's add an even younger one who is the pinnacle of whiny and annoying teenagers.

And the need to make all of them superheroes: Willow as the uber-witch, Xander as the rock to lean on... it just sucked the fun from the show. Buffy as the lead, Willow and Xander as the plucky sidekicks who keep her grounded, help out, and are heroes in their own way. A simple formula that made for great fun and hijinx. Xander's Zeppo moment was fanfrickingtastic. Willow shining and pulling off something impressive was great when it was infrequent. But I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer first for the sake of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I didn't want to see The Super Scoobies and their angsty romance stories which is what too much of it turned into by the end of Season Five (and only got worse in Season Sux - assuming all the epguides and forums aren't completely off-base).

Back to my retort though. Greywizard's fic doesn't interest me in the slightest. I don't want to read about baby!Harry growing up. And most of those 'raised by' stories are starting from scratch so that Harry doesn't even necessarily have any of the qualities that made him Harry in the first place.

Of course there aren't many good Harry/Buffy, Harry/Willow, or Harry/Faith fics out there. But to presume there can't be any because you can't imagine one is just plain close-minded.

And for what it's worth, after I finish A Black Comedy, the next fic I write is probably going to be a HP/BtVS crossover. It will have a complete AU HP world with a completely different Harry though, and it will take place throughout Season Three of Buffy. I doubt there will be much romance (Harry/Faith probably the most likely pairing if any), but from what I can tell... it's going to be a great crossover.

cdog21
06-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Well from everything that I have either found on my own or had help finding falls into one of three catergories for the girls save for dawn

1. With canon Buffy and Willow most that I have found happen after season 6 or season 7

2. With canon Faith it happens after the whole Angel/Angelus thing

3. With the OOC girls usually either during college for Buffy and Willow and either right after or right before Faith killed that guy.

Personally I could care less about the timing as long as its a good story and doesnt have something about it that i hate then im gonna enjoy it. And after reading all this I think I might throw my hand into the X over world.

Mr. Merriman
06-14-2007, 02:58 PM
I wasn't saying that there aren't any good examples of those pairings because I can't imagine them, but because I've never read one. I suppose my prejudice against this cross came out a bit stronger than I meant, but I think that my views on the pairings above are perfectly suitable. Everyone has their disliked pairings. Mine happen to be these. The huge paragraphs on each pairing could be totally invalidated (happens all the time in fanfics), and I still wouldn't really want to read a Harry/Buffy.

That said, I wouldn't just not read a fic just because it has a pairing or cross I don't like, if there is the promise of quality in it. For instance, I'd probably take a look at yours, like I did Greywizard's, since I have a great respect for your writing and ability to cross, since I never thought anyone could pull off a Harry Potter/Firefly cross.

Aekiel
06-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I've been reading HP and the Exiled Slayer, and that set off my curiosity so I went and wikipedia'd Buffy, then Illyria, then the Old Ones... Can you see where I'm going with this?

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has seen a fic where Voldemort or Harry-gone-Dark has decided to open the Deeper Well and release the Old Ones? It'd make for an interesting read, I'd say that much.

If anyone knows of one give me a shout, cause I'm not to far into the Buffy fandom to know the best sites.

Aekiel

Crazy1
06-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Or maybe Harry realises that he doesn't have the power to destroy Voldemort, so he summons one of the Old Ones. Hell, it could even work for Dresden.

phoenix_rage
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Harry Potter and the Slayer Dimension (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4990751/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Slayer_Dimension) Thrown into a parallel dimension during the final battle with Voldemort Harry finds himself stranded in a world where Demons exist and the world is protected by a young girl; The Slayer. Will he be able to return home? Will he want to?Crossover - Buffy: The Vampire Slayer & Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Supernatural/Adventure - Chapters: 5 - Words: 57,199 - Reviews: 309 - Updated: 8-12-09 - Published: 4-13-09 - Buffy S. & Harry P.

pdo91
10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Dude, you're gonna get raped if you keep making duplicate threads and necro-bumping.

phoenix_rage
10-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Dude, you're gonna get raped if you keep making duplicate threads and necro-bumping.

It's not necro-bumping if I contribute to the thread. This story is one of the best fics I read in this genre.