1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Darkness

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Fucking awesome game, I tells ya.

Ive been playing since day before yesterday, when it came out. Prolly my favorite non-PC FPS game, aside from Resistence. Bioshock looks win as well, but yeah not the point.

First the problems I found so far in my almost 10 hours of gameplay:

1: The character looks, speaks, and acts vaguely Emo/Goffik. In that I mean entirely black cloths, black trench coat, sort of depressed quiet voice, various cutscenes where he is talking to his love interest and going on and on about her innocence and how he needs her in this "fucked up world". Oh, and the spoiler tag below.

He commits suicide after "Uncle" Paulie kills his love interest.

2: And this one peeves me the most. Headshots dont kill instantly unless they arent aware of your presence. I got a guy with two blasts of a combat shotgun close range and he didnt die. So that could use a little work.

But thats all I've found wrong thus far. Now the pluses.

The story is vaguely kick ass from what I've learned of it thus far. I wont spoil the part I'm at now, as I've not finished it yet, so I dont know all of it. But here is the jist:

You play as Jackie Estacado, a contract killer for "Uncle" Paulie Franchetti. His Aunt Sarah married Jimmy Franchetti, founder of the Franchetti Crime family. But ole Jimmy kicked it and Paulie took over. Paulie is a sadistic, evil fuckhead. Example: His wife was cheating with a guy she was in love with so he waits till the to are into it to kick down the door and torture the guy to death in front of her.

Jcakie runs afoul of Paulie somehow and now he wants him dead. The Darkness (all its been called so far) keeps him alive after the first attempt Paulie makes, which is the first 3 or 4 minutes of the game. It takes a while, but it explains how you obtain these dark powers, so it isnt just random manifestation, but I aint quite finished with that little arc, so I dun know how good it is.

The Darkness Powers are vaguely pwn. You get a demon arm, which is really just a sharp pointy tentacle. Use it to impale enemies, lift massive objects, ect. The demon tentacles with the head are my favorite thus far. Chewing off peoples faces, eating hearts, sending them ahead of you to scout and kill enemies. The Darkness guns are rather annoying and I dont like them as much as the other two out of four powers. I havent got the Black Hole power yet so I dun know how it works.

The controls were fairly nicely and would be easy to pick up (for xbox, which is the one I have) for halo players. Similar firing style to that, via the trigger buttons on each side controlling one gun.

Camera works surprisingly well, i think. Graphics are sweet. I'd give it a 4/5 right now.

2. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

How's Mike Patton's voice acting? From what little I've heard it seems pretty good.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Damned good... makes a convincing evil voice in your head o.o

4. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    I've already beaten it, but it's a shitload of fun. The Blackhole power acts just like the name, basically it sucks in everything in it's range, and you can still devour their hearts afterward.