1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Other Black Girl by Smelltastic - R

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Marie M, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

Title: The Other Black Girl
    Author: Smelltastic
    Rating: R
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Summary: All her life Andromeda Black has been told that she must uphold the family honour and with her beautiful and talented sisters she cuts a swathe through the school. However dark forces are closing in on her family and Andromeda is slowly losing all that she took for granted as her sisters slip further and further away from her. Then something happens that changes her life forever. Will Andromeda take the chance with someone who dares to look past her family name? ``Starting from childhood this is the story of 'The Other Black Girl'.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/smelltastic/TOBG.html

I just read and really liked it. There aren't many fics about Black girls, especially Andromeda, so I hope you'll enjoy it.

2. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's not the first 'Story of Andromeda' I've read; those are usually pretty decent. I'll have to search out the one that I really liked....

3. malaga

malaga Auror

I really like this, it gives reasoning and doesn't fall into the trap so many authors have of just making two people soul mates from the beginning. That really grates on my nerves. I don't normally read stories without Harry, but this is pretty good. 4/5

4. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm on the same tune as malaga; I usually can't do anything like MWPP or the like, but this story was actually decent. Wasn't fantastic or anything, but maybe it would be if Harry was a main character. Meh. 4/5.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I've not read this thoroughly and don't intend to (skimmed some so I won't vote), but I feel I should point out a few things.

First is that this is completely pre-canon, i.e. pre-Harry. It's the story of a barely used canon character growing up an oppressed little pureblood and all the dangers of having an evil, dark, death eating family.

Second is that this fic is incomplete. I'm not entirely sure how incomplete because I don't know how far the fic was going to go. But at the end of Chapter 9 it says "Next chapter: Shakesphere. Snow. Ted." So it's safe to assume there was intended to be a Chapter 10 and probably quite a few more.

And thirdly, the straw that will keep me from ever reading this is that the author's not posted on her live-journal nor commented on fiction-alley forums in over three years. Which to me clearly says this will never be finished. Something may have happened to the author, but given that it's a teenage girl (I think 15-16 when she wrote this), I'd say it's more likely something happened to her interest or ability to write this than anything debilitating to her person.

So just be aware when reading this that it's completely lacking Harry Potter, not finished, and barring a miracle never will be finished. (Unless a 19 year old girl could look at what she wrote at 15 and think, 'Wow that's really good. I want to pick right back up where I left off. And it's a good thing my obsession with the HP fandom is the same as it was four years ago despite three plus years of silence.')

But on the plus side, I was very amused to search out this author on google and get asked the question: "Did you mean: Smegtastic"

6. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

There's only been 2 votes, apparently. Any other opinions/ratings?

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I was expecting some racist humor fic.

:-(