1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-Cliché Thread, Naruto style

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Spanks, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I have seen this kind of thread for Harry Potter, so how about one for Naruto. Luckily, the world that Kishimotto created is very expansive and any author can do almost anything in the Narutoverse. Unfortunately, the authors in the Naruto fandom are content with using the same old plot lines, and old boring plot points. So, please, come up with some stuff that would be original in the Naruto fandom.

Here is mine...

1) In the Wave Arc, Kakashi explains that a Hunter-nin disposes of a missing-nin because the enemy can learn secrets from their village from the corpse; jutsu, kekkei genkai, etc. I don't think I have EVER seen a fic where Naruto does that to someone he kills. I want to see Naruto dissect his opponent and learn his secrets.

2) Jiraiya becomes Hokage. No one ever seems to have him become Hokage, it is always Tsunade.

3) Danzou is chosen as the Third and not Sarutobi. Knonoha becomes a dictatorship, they want war more than peace. Would be an interesting environment for Naruto to grow up in.

4) Orochimaru is chosen as the 4th instead of the original Yondaime. (I refuse to call him Kazama Arashi until it is specified in the manga.)

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

:| -points to A.D.D-

I've seen all of those done except number 3, which is only because he's a relatively new character,

5. Naruto backhands Sasuke the moment Sasuke starts to annoy him.

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Don't be pimpin' that shit in here Jon ;)

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Don't make me pimpslap you Darius :D

5. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

6. Nosebleeds do not exist due to sexy images.
    6a. Nosebleeds cannot knock out anyone due to 'bloodloss' unless they have the medical condition Haemophilia A (a condition that routinely affects males).
    7. Ninjas are shown to kill innocents, even the smallest of children, so as not to leave witnesses.
    8. The 'good' guys as well as the bad use civilians as bait.
    9. The civilians don't survive.

6. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

11. Hunter-Nin wtfpwning Genin who get all emo and decided to leave the Country.
    12. A full detailed Shinobi War.
    13. Someone whose skilled at battle scenes show a Kage vs. Akatsuki or Kage vs. Kage fight.

7. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

14) Naruto's mom is part of Akatsuki

8. Robo Jesus

Since you guys missed a number here.:p

#10. The Fourth Hokage wasn't some reluctant hero, but a manipulative bastard who had planned on making Naruto a jinchuuriki all along like the Fourth Kazekage did to Gaara, only the Yondaime Hokage's plans on capturing the Kyuubi backfired with the Kyuubi coming to Konoha looking for blood over the leafs failed (first) attempt at capturing him.

9. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

15) Kyuubi being evil, not like Naruto, and not a girl.

10. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I really like the idea Robo Jesus came up with for the Yondaime Hokage.

Even though I hate the Naru/Hina pairing just as much as I hate Harry/Ginny...

16) The roles of Hinata and Naruto are reversed. With the emotional strain of being rejected by his village, Naruto grows up timid, shy, and has a crush on Hinata. While Hinata is loud, arrogant, semi strong, and doesn't even know he exists. She is out spoken against her clans traditions etc etc.

17) Naruto time travels to an AU like Harry does in an alternate dimension fic. Maybe he goes to one where Yondaime lived and he died during the sealing process.

18/ Naruto signs a contract with slugs or monkeys.

19) Naruto has a single Byakugan eye like Kakashi has a single Sharingan eye.

11. Robo Jesus

#20. The entire world as it is in the Naruto-verse was shaped by a bunch of demons playing the role of 'gods' for their own benefits. The entire social system, the history, everything. The 'gods' knocked down civilization, built it back up how they wanted, and then, made deals with various peoples, creating the elemental nations and the histories within those nations (the First's Hokage's necklace being a token of the gods to the First as a sign of his right to 'rule' the shinobi villiage within the Fire Nation as an example). Now that things have gone as the 'gods' want them, they now want a united nation, a united people, for their ultimate goals. Too bad the 'gods' choose the wrong young man to carry out their goals. A Conquerer!Naruto type fic.:p

A good type of fic if you want lots of political action and Machiavellian type scheming. Lots of major battles, with actual emphasis on the more important things going on behind the scenes as well. This type of storyline would also give some explanations for the technological descrepincies in the Naruto-verse, with an easy way to introduce very powerful technologies unto the scene due to the 'knowledge' of the 'gods'.

#21. Long ago, the most powerful demon of all had progeny. Lillith gave birth to Humanity. At a young age, Naruto finds out about the Kyuubi, and seeks him out (as he has no one else). In time, Naruto gets the Kyuubi to tell him about the greatest of the great demons (with lots of ego-feeding by the Kyuubi on his role in things). What happens when the Kyuubi ends up telling a very young Naruto about the Bound Demon Lillith? What happens when Naruto decides to seek her out so that she can help make him into the greatest and strongest person ever so that the villagers would respect and worship him? What happens when he gets exactly what he wants after finding her?

Basically, this fic is just a way to fuck with things. Unfortunately, I know that most writers who would pick up this plotbunny would turn it into a mary sue type fic, which this isn't mean to be. It's meant to be dark, with a young Naruto constantly wandering for at least two or three years into the west in search of where the demon Lillith has been bound. Lillith, too weak to actually escape or leave, either takes possession of Naruto's mind, or takes Naruto into herself (innuendo galore with that wording:p) and starts to alter him so that Naruto can fulfill her goals in her stead.

12. Devin Cybrus

Devin Cybrus First Year

How about Naruto actually acting like he's portrayed in the series; a hyperactive, annoying, attention-starved kid who isn't that bright.

Naruto's personality always seems to do a complete 180 from this in fics.

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

One reason would be that few people want to read about a hyperactive, annoying dipshit. If we wanted that, we would just read the manga or watch the anime, DATTEBAYO. Fanfiction is largely about wish fulfillment. Most readers want Naruto to be stronger and smarter than he is in the actual series.

14. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I have to agree with LT2000, here. When I read fan fiction, I don't read it to see Naruto like he is in canon, because canon's Naruto pisses me off. I read it to see a badass that isn't afraid to kill, one that actually learns something worthwhile other than Kage Bunshin and Rasengan, or uses the former's knowledge retention to its greatest.

Then again, I also read fan fiction to see Naruto paired off with either one of the sound girls or a female Haku (as Haku should have been female in the first place).

Quick note: I have seen Naruto sign the Monkey contract, and one where Naruto has a single Byakugan eye. I don't remember the names of either fic, though.

15. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

I am sorely disappointed in you, mate. You guys underestimate naruto way too much. Okay, so he is a hyper active, drivin character but out of the whole damn manga/anime series he only lost one battle. ONE BATTLE and that was against sasuke and even then it was close because naruto didn't want to kill someone who he considers precious. You of all people know that naruto is a quick thinker , driven, motivated and number one most unpredictable ninja when he is battling.

Just look at Soul of Fire fic. A crossover with warcraft and naruto. The author made naruto character fully canon version and that is one of the reasons why i like his fics. A character of naruto's nature is fun to write and read coming. But meh i like the canon version the best and thats my opinion and you have yours.

Though i do understand where Demon and LT2000 are going with this and i completely understand. Still...it kinda pisses me off that calling naruto weak and an idiot because you guys are acting just like the rookie nine.

....Why in the hell do you even read naruto manga in the first place? And when you say afraid to kill...what do you mean. He isn't afraid to kill because from what i see, naruto used rasangan on itachi look alike completely killing him. He didn't even bat an eyelash. The only thing i saw was anger.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  16. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh no, of the many things I will call Naruto, I will not call him weak. Even without the Kyuubi, Naruto is a very strong character, and I admit, he is quick on his feet.

I never said that Canon Naruto wasn't afraid to kill, I was just stating some of the things that I look for in a fic, and the ability to kill without much remorse is definitely one of them.

Also, to be quite honest? I've been growing less and less interested with Canon, ever since the timeskip happened. Kishimoto needs to get his ass in gear, because soon, I will start to ignore Canon Naruto, at least at this rate. Nothing stopping me from reading Fanon thus far, though.

17. Robo Jesus

I'm not calling Naruto weak either. I just want to see his character develop in many different ways under many different situations. That is what I want. I don't want to read fanfics that are nothing more than rehashes of the manga. I WANT ORIGINAL STORIES. With original situations, original backgrounds, and original character developments. A Naruto who grew up in a warlike situation would have a slightly different character than a Naruto who grew up in the Manga.

Most of the time, both would easily be identified as Naruto, but neither would be the same person as the other.

18. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

True enough and yea i suppose i understand where you guys are going with this. Still...

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Yes, he has only technically lost one battle, but in virtually every fight he gets in, Naruto is in the position of the complete underdog, getting his ass kicked until the 'I NEVER GIVE UP, I'M GOING TO BE HOKAGE DATTEBAYO!" moment where he pulls something or other out of his ass to win. Sometimes I, and other people, want to see something different from that, see a more dominant hero for a change. Put the shoe on the other foot once in a while. And besides, he's supposed to be a ninja. A child killer, an assassin. Kishimoto's version of shinobi is vastly different from mine. I don't believe that a hyperactive kid who screams and yells and goes around wearing bright orange clothes meshes well with my concept of what a ninja should be. I'm a little more into realism than that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  20. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm going to have to agree with you yet again, LT2000, on both counts. When I see an anime, I want to see the main character fighting on equal grounds, without some sort of Deus Ex Machina effect kicking in to give him the win. I want him to win on his own skills, not some power that was stuck in his belly as an infant. I want to see Naruto defeat his opponents with superior speed, superior technique, not with the Kyuubi's chakra. Hell, the only time I was actually happy seeing the Kyuubi's chakra come out to "help" Naruto was against Sasuke, and that was because it granted him extra abilities alongside the extra chakra.

Regarding my thoughts of Ninja...When I think of a ninja, the last thing I think of is Naruto. Rather, I see someone covered in black clothing, hiding in the trees, freaking people out and killing them quietly, with sneak attacks and assassinations during the target's sleep.

Naruto is literally the exact opposite of that, and it gets on my nerves a bit. I wouldn't care quite as much if they were simply Mercenaries, as opposed to Ninja. They do everything that Mercenaries do, anyways, except with generally different methods.