1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Harry Potter and the Shell of the God-King by JoeHundredaire - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by darthdavid, Jul 16, 2007.

1. darthdavid

darthdavid Second Year

Title: Harry Potter and the Shell of the God-King
    Author: JoeHundredaire
    Rating: M
    Genre: Crossover(Angel)/Dark!Harry/Independent!Harry
    Pairing: Illyria/Harry
    Chapters: 10 (ff.net)
    Words: 53,464
    Updated: July 31, 2013 (Repost?)
    Published: April 18, 2013 (Repost?)

Summary: The aptly-named Department of Mysteries is home to a great many things that wizardkind does not yet understand. Luna releases one of them and forever alters the course of history. Branches off at OotP; darker and independent Harry.
    Link (TTH): http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-29074/JoeHundredaire+Harry+Potter+and+the+Shell+of+the+God-King.htm
    Link (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9215532/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Shell-of-the-God-King
    Link (hpffa): http://www.hpfanficarchive.com/stories/viewstory.php?sid=88

JH has made some pretty awesome stories over the years and this is no different. It's pretty new but he's doing the updates at a decent pace and already has a enough up to get a feel for the story. It doesn't look like this has been recommended yet.

Checked by Minion, August 18, 2013
    Fixed the links. It seems as if the story was reposted

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  2. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

The author is also known as AlienyouthCT on FFnet, so here's a secondary link.

It's really far to early to tell for this fic. We've only seen two very short chapters and while I like what we've got, I can also see so very many ways for this to go completely wrong.

3. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Would be nice if someone stated what the hell it's a crossover of.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  4. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

5. darthdavid

darthdavid Second Year

Fixed. Happy?

6. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not half bad, but it always annoys me when they take not only quotes, but actualy paragraphs from the book. Either way, it has diverted from canon now so that won't happen again, hopefully.

Vtigo- That gave this author about ten respect points in my book.

7. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I like it, thought still too early to tell if it'll be worth reading. Very few Hp/Angel crossovers so we'll see how this goes.

8. i like boats

i like boats Squib

It's pretty good at the moment, but everything else I've ever read of his has declined heavily in quality later on.

This is probably going to end up with super!Illyria/Luna in bed with whipped!Harry and a host of girls -- JH so obviously prefers femmeslash that I wonder why he bothers including male characters at all.

9. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

@i like boats- Erm, super!Illyria is pretty much the only Illyria that exists- she's a god-king, and this is before half of her power was drained, seeing as it's pre-S5 as far as Angel goes.

I'll edit in a review when I read it in the morning.

Edit This story has so much potential to be amazing. I loved the Bellatrix scene, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Illyria does to the wizarding world. The DoM is a great place to introduce Illyria, though I am curious to see what happened to Deeper Well. I was kind of annoyed that Harry only had to put on rings to become her Qwa'ha Xahn, but I can understand why he had to change that. Overall, this stoy gets a 5/5 for what's up so far. I'm very curious to see Illyria with a Qwa'ha Xahn who's not too angsty or lightsided.

Edit 2
    Chapter 3 is pretty bad. Why the fuck did he mess with the Qwa'ha Xahn bond? Annoying. I'll still be reading this because the idea is pretty good, but I wish a competent author would take up the idea, as it has amazing potential.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wonder if they'll have to work around the whole 'human shell can't handle the power' thing like in Angel. Despite Luna having magic, I doubt her body is able to withstand the magic of an Old One.

Aekiel

11. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

This story seems to have potential, but I really want to wait to see where it goes before I rate it. Definitely one to keep your eye on as far as originality goes though.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, this is a very good start. Although there are only the two chapters so far, it really shows a nice bit of original thinking. And Harry/Illyria ain't that bad, all things considered, especially considering that she's "using" Luna's shell. I'm not sure what to rate it... at least not just yet. Another chapter or two, then I think I'll know.

-J

13. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Chapter three and JH's femme slash obsession rears it's ugly head. Today's chapter asks people to suggest another girl to be possessed by an Old One...

Obviously the story is going to shit, I knew a decent start couldn't last.

14. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

...wait! hold on, whats the crossover of, again? I'm confused as hell. Is it Angel?

15. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

Yeah its Angel though the author is using one section of the Angel world (at least for now), namely the season 4 (or 5) in which an original demon is released into the world.

16. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't know... I like it and the writing is good but I'm getting bad vibes. Kinsfire bad vibes at that. I have the feeling that this story might just turn out to be a darker Harry/love bond story. Harry knows a girl. Harry is somehow bonded to this girl. Harry suddenly decides the girl is uber!hawtness. Harry finds out the bond is like marriage. Harry finds out the prophecy is changed and now he and his 'bond mate' are destined to destroy Voldemort. See where this is going....

17. Oberon

Oberon First Year

The problem with this fic is that it can't decide if it wants to be taken serious or as a comedy. It has a lot of hand wave character development that is acceptable for a comedy but less so for a drama. Sort of like a lot of his other work. Waves his wand, BOOM: You're now a lesbian.

18. Devin Cybrus

Devin Cybrus First Year

I was reading it and sorta liking it until

I rolled my eyes so hard that the browser window closed itself.

There's other stuff, too. Harry not giving a shit about Luna's death. Illyria acting OOC. I guess that second one wouldn't bother anybody who hasn't watched Angel.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  19. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Quoted for truth. I honestly expected Illyria to be a little different- after all, some of her personality was because of her host. I thought we'd see her adopting certain aspects of Luna's personality, like how she had Fred's love of science. Instead, we get this almost-oc?

This guy made a mistake that a lot of Buffyverse writers do when writing Illyria (and Anya)- he gave her this robotic voice, without a personality. She has a personality, dammit!

He assassinated two of my favorite characters two of my favorite characters with one strike. If I could, I'd change my vote to a 2/5, it was that annoying.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  20. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Hmmm...a very interesting story. I love it. 5/5 for me.

Richard.