1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Awakening by Sinkingboat - Firefly - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by RagefulLlama, Jul 16, 2007.

1. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Title: The Awakening
    Author: Sinkingboat
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Drama - Crossover with Firefly (Serenity)
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione later Harry/River
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 24,202
    Updated: August 2, 2010
    Published: April 17, 2007

Summary: The final fight of book seven! Harry will do all he has to in order to destroy Voldemort, even die. Crossover with Serenity.Some of my best work! HarryHermione later HarryRiver
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3495311/1/The_Awakening

A pretty good fic that I posted to get rid of lurker status *hides*. It has a very unique way of crossing over the universes that fits in with both fandoms. As it is the next few chapters will make or break the story, hoping for the former. In order to cover myself if it goes the other way, I posted it at chapter 6 and am not responsible for any downfall thereafter.

I rate it at 3.5-4 lower marks for the relatively slow update. Lost marks for the scene in the last chapter, which sent my 'Impending Horribleness' radar off and makes me slightly concerned for the next update.

I found it slightly deus ex machina the way he kind of threw Harry and the crew together. The scene where Harry readily accepted river and didn't start getting concerned over the duel memories has my aforementioned radar singing the most.

Once again if it goes to hell from here on out please don't blame me. I posted it for it's potential more than anything it currently has under it's belt, as it were.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 28, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  2. malaga

malaga Auror

Well, this has been here a while, and noone has reviewed, so I'll throw in my ten cents. I think this is all well and good for those of us who know the Serenity universe, but for others it could be a problem. Brown Coat, Green Eyes introduces everything so even complete newbies to either the Harry Potter world or the Serenity world can understand. Also, there are way too many coincidences for my liking. It has a lot of potential but it seems as though the author just wants to get to their favourite bits as fast as they can, and ignores all lead up. 2/5

3. Le

Le Fourth Year

I thought it was a good Firefly/HP cross, but I definitely agree that you really have to know the Firefly universe to understand it. If you do, however, you'll probably find it pretty good. Not as good as Browncoat, Green Eyes, but hey. 4/5.

4. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Any other votes/opinions, perchance?

5. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

It's an interesting fic and though the some plot elements are a bit recycled it's still good. I confess that what I know of the Firefly universe comes from the movie, about 3 episodes, and Nonjon's fic; so I'm not really the person to ask about how well the worlds are meshed in this fic.

All in all I'd rate it 4/5. It's good and entertaining. Can't ask for much more than that.

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Good cross, but I'm not sure if it's my type of story. I'll give it a 3/5, with it possibly going up to a 4, or down to a 2. Depending on how he actually progresses the story.