1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry's Birthday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sgtoutlaw, Dec 18, 2005.

1. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

I don't know aobut you all, but I do not understand how Hary knows his birthday? Am I the only one who sees this?

Its not like the dursleys are going to say its his birthday, much less would they even neccesarily know, and even if they heard of the day he was born they are very unlikely to remember here.

So how in the world does Harry know when his birthday is? Guess its just a plot hole or something. :-\

2. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

To get into school they need a birth certificate to prove you are who you say you are, teachers can find out your birth date and wish you a happy birthday. Ive had teachers in Elementary teachers who wrote on the board everyone who had a birthday that day. That's probably how Harry found out. Or one time the Dursley's went the extra mile and told Harry that his parent's are probably in hell cursing this day that he is born. Those are just two possibilities I am sure there are more.

3. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

THat doesn't make sense. How would the school get the records of Harry's birthday then? I think the Dursleys would just make it up. As well as I just said the fact that how would the Dursleys know when he was born. The letter when dropped off at the Dursleyswasn't exactly a birth certificate.

4. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

For Harry to have even gone to school there must have been a birth certificate somewhere. After dropping Harry off at the Dursleys it is likely that the Dursleys were named his legal guardians. It is easy for any legal guardian to retrieve a birth certificate from any Town Hall in England.

5. Necrule Paen

Thank you Cervus that's what I was trying to say.

6. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

That does make more sense, but how does a birth certificate exist for muggles to find?

Going to be stubborn on it cause I cannot see it happening. I don't see documents existing for Harry Potter who is from the magical world.

Its not like birth certificate is entirely required. I am sure some excuse the Dursleys can make?

Err second time editing. even if someone did make it maybe, James Potter would in no way exist to be father, being a pureblood.

7. Necrule Paen

Im sure there is a department in the ministry for that sort of thing, with so many families killed in Voldemort's first rise there must have been many kids who had no other choice but be sent to muggle relatives or an orphanage and they would need documentation as well.

8. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

Plus with Dumbledore being the head of the Wizengammot it would be easy to fabricate a certificate for muggle use.

9. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

That is alot to be happening behind the scenes O,o. Oh and the Ministry doesn't seem like it would have since they all want to keep the magic within the magical world and don't want more work obliviating people. I do believe though it could have been Albus Dumbledore, just not the ministry.

Noone was actually aware of I don't believe that Harry was living with muggles because noone was supposed to be aware of it, to keep Harry safe.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I was under the impression that it was common knowledge that Harry wasn't in the wizarding world growing up, even if it wasn't Harry had constant run ins with wizards growing up, so at least a handful knew.

11. Necrule Paen

All the Ministry has to do is put the birth certificate into the system, it needs not to be put to a particular school, once the certificate is in the system then all the Dursleys or Dumbledore need to do is go to a government building and get it printed out on the official paper. The worry is not that people will leave the Wizarding World but that all of these native speakers are without any identification, so that is why these records would be provided to the muggle authorities.

12. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

Yea, I understand, just saying I don't think the Ministry would want to bother with the whole orphaning out magical children to the muggle world, not to mention that the purebloods wouldn't accept it. Be alot more difficulties with accidental magic that they would want to avoid. That or an increase in obliviators for when you have all these magical children doing accidental magic around muggles.

Suppose you are right Mid, its just it didn't seem so in the first book, then again you really only get Ron's view on it, but it is also all you have to go on.

13. Necrule Paen

The purebloods would only care about the pureblooded orphans and if they are Pureblooded and all the Purebloods are interrelated then they would go to their closest living relative and not the orphanage. And since no Pureblood would go to an orphanage then there is no reason why they would possibly fund a magical orphanage so the rest of the orphans have to go somewhere either to muggle relatives like Harry or an orphanage like Riddle. In either case proper documentation would prove to be necessary.

14. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

What about halfblood and all? I mean Harry is a half blood and everything, so its not like they are going to agree having them all going to muggle world. Still doesn't explain what would happen with all the magical accidents either since there really doesn't seem to be many muggleborns as opposed to purebloods and half bloods. With the large increase it may gain attention to the happenings. I am putting more thought into such things as his birthday and all then the author does right now probably..

15. Necrule Paen

The thing is you are using Harry as a standard for all of the other students but there are some kids like Neville whose only accidental magic is bouncing around when dropped by his uncle. We have no idea how Harry compares to a normal kid, it may not be much of a problem.

And if there was a magical orphanages that halfbloods could go to, wouldn't you think that Voldemort would have known and transfer to one instead of stopping his attacks in school because he didn't want to return to the muggle one?

16. Midknight

You know even still, this is a very good point about official documents. A kid with pureblood parents trying to make it in the muggle world simply could not pass a decent background check unless the guy checking him out was befuddled to hell and back.

A half blood would have an easier time, as they could claim ignorance of knowledge of one parent or the other, or claim home birthing and file later as long one parent was a legal citizen with paperwork.

I'd just settle for extensive magical management of the whole deal when it comes to the paperwork.

17. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I agree. Despite how little governments actually get done, a lot goes on behind the scenes. If a Pureblood wanted to go out into the Muggle world (as if they would) and get a job, the Ministry would probably just use a few spells and some paperwork would appear in the Muggle Ministry's records. After all, the Prime Minister knows of Wizards, and there's probably a system set up for it.

18. Midknight

19. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

Your not the only one. Fuck I can't believe I read that cluster fuck of a fanfic all the way through.

About this Harry and the birth certificate thing. I think your all forgetting that Lilly was a muggle born witch. She would therefore know that to live in the muggle world Harry would need a birth certificate. Is it not possible that she filed it?

20. Necrule Paen

Well, that all depends. Did Harry need identification before their deaths? Were they planning on him attending muggle primary school or some other official interaction with the muggle world? We don't know, but at the very least the Ministry would have done it. Its possible that Lilly put in a petition to have Harry integrated, but its not really something a layman or laywoman can do very easily especially if James is not in the system as well.