1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Under Siege by Dens Serpentis - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by nonjon, Jul 23, 2007.

1. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Title: Under Siege
    Author: Dens Serpentis
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/General
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 6
    Words: 27,262
    Updated: January 23, 2009
    Published: March 24, 2005

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2320601/1/Under_Siege
    Summary: 7th year fic. Hogwarts is the safest place in the Wizarding World. What happens when its teachers are struck down and it's separated from the rest of the world, leaving the students to fend for themselves? No slash, pairings undecided. No HBP.

Okay. This fic is one of the old brilliant premises I wish someone had written more for. And then, suddenly, after almost two years, the author reappeared and updated a short chapter for this fic. And still, it's an idea I've not seen really taken on as the focus of a fic. Only four chapters and 17K words so far on this, but I think the idea has so many good ways it could go in. This is one of the few times I'm looking forward to uber!trained DA stuff, and with an almost reasonable explanation for how it could happen (certainly miles better than shipping them off to the American military for a month in summer, the typical uber!training for the DA or schlopping them off into a mysterious magical forest).

Warning flags for the redeemed!Draco and Snape could be annoying, but I love the Harry as a leader premise enough not to mind (Forest of Mystery by Star Polaris had a semi-similar kind of plot but that was completely ruined by parental figure Snape). And the author's got a BtVS crossover with a similarly annoying Snape, but for now I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

4/5 almost seems too low for me, considering how excited I was to see this fic updated but there is room for improvement.

Checked by Minion, June 12, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Subcomandante_Taco

Subcomandante_Taco Seventh Year

I like it, though I too am weary about redeemed!Draco and Snape. I'm looking forward to seeing how they become stronger...

3. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

Didn't you have a challenge remarkably like this?

4. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

4/5

This is the first studenrun!Hogwarts fic I've seen that didn't suck from the word go. Rather impressive start actually and the plot is going well. I agree with nonjon that the redeemed!Draco is a bit off-putting, but I think that Snape will actually result in hours of fun as the students put him in his place finally.

I hope the author has decided to get back to this story as I'd like to see where it's going.

EDIT:
    Oh, and these quotes were great...

Harry Potter had not yet died, either. In general, he thought that this was a good thing, since he still had several things he hoped to do before departing from the world, such as graduating from Hogwarts, defeating Voldemort, and finding a Hulga the Unwise Chocolate Frog card.

On the other hand, Harry Potter was the leader of the DA, a secret defense organization of students from all seven years and the three not-evil Houses of Hogwarts.

"Hmmm," Harry murmured noncommittally. "Well, I'm for bed. I have to try to get some sleep before I fully register the fact that I've just been chosen to lead three hundred students, one wacky teacher, a fraud, and a dangerous-animal-loving Groundskeeper for an indeterminate length of time."

"You forgot Filch," Tonks put in helpfully.

"Thank you, Tonks," Harry replied sarcastically. "Now my day is complete."

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Good shit.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Nice story. It's a rather unique concept I've never seen before.

7. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Excellent story. 5/5 from me. I love siege stories that are written well, and it's so hard to find them. Only thing-

Fiction Rated: T - English - Adventure/General - Harry P. & Draco M. - Reviews: 82 - Published: 03-24-05 - Updated: 08-11-05

She took down the update, for some reason.

Edit by Vash: Yeee gawd o.o Honest mistake but ... ick. Post fixed to remove FFNazi java code crap.

Edit by Me: Sorry about that. I copied and pasted, then closed the window without seeing what happened. Anyway, the update is back, she must have needed to edit it for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  8. emt10

emt10 First Year

Are you sure it's back? I can't get to chapter 4.

Edit:Nevermind, it works for me now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Good fic indeed.

Harry's character is brilliant. This is the way a Gryffindor!Harry should be written like, without that pathetic "oooh, that is so Slytherin of you" crap...

I even liked redeemed Snape and Draco - what better way to demonstrate Harry's charisma than through the eyes of his enemies?

It's still early to tell what the story will turn out like, but so far, it's great.
    4.1/5

11. Subcomandante_Taco

It's pretty different actually. In my challenge Harry and co. are indeed trapped in Hogwarts without anyway of escaping, but the big difference is that Voldemort can't go inside the castle for a year due to wards. The Dark Lord gave the student body a chance to survive if they gave up Harry- Almost everyone agreed to betray him, but he found out and managed to escape to the Chamber of Secret where he plans on leading a war against those who betrayed him.

So I'd say that it's pretty different.

12. carl

carl Seventh Year

Did anyone actually write a story in response to that challenge?

13. Subcomandante_Taco

I planned on writing a challenge to my own challenge but I decided to give it up. <.<

Now I guess it's time to stop hijacking this thread...

14. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

/me sighs

If only it were so.

Story had very good moments, loved Draco's quite whisper of Dobby once being his Elf, maybe it was the wording, but for some reason that made me laugh.

4/5 Loved it, never actually read a story like this...are there anymore?

15. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

I thought the fic isent half bad so far..just wish I could read chapter four. Frickn ff.net is randomly removing the latest updated chapters --;.

16. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Add a couple of zeros in front of the story number and it should show up.

If not, try with a different number or zeros.

17. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I dislike the redeemed snape and draco, but the story IS good. I enjoyed reading it. It needs more backstory though.

4/5

18. Nox

Nox First Year

I personally hope that the backstory gets developed as the main plot progresses. Something like Harry ending up explaining to the teachers how he went from normal to High Warlord of Hogwarts.

I hope this story continues.

19. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

I was on this story like white on rice the moment I read Leader!Harry. Awesome story, so sad it hadn't been updated in so long. I remember when siege stories were popular, this one seems to follow the mold, but in a much, much better way. Very well done. Harry's leadership is asserted masterfully. He is the assumed leader, reluctant, but efficient. Of course, I'm partial to Leader!Harry, so I'm a bit biased.

A believable redeemed!Draco. Not a horribly afraid one who pisses himself at the thought of being a Death Eater, nor a "my father is forcing me" little bitch. A very well written turn-around for Draco.

"Oh, well done, Draco, now he's glaring at you. And this wasn't the kind of glare that Draco used to love provoking in Potter, the 'I would snap and attack you if there weren't teachers around us,' this was a 'this is a life-or-death situation and you are wasting my time' glare. Inwardly, he quailed, but his eyes were defiant."

Well done.

4/5 for now, 4.8/5 if he updates again.

20. Vtigo

Vtigo Second Year

Ok I am confused is this slash or not? The fic is listed as Harry P. & Draco M.?