1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Auburn Fire by esama - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Dante, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dante

Dante Slug Club Member

Title: Auburn Fire
    Author: esama
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: None for now
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 37,268
    Updated: October 25, 2007
    Published: July 8, 2007

Summary: In year 1665, Alchemist Nicolas Flamel rescues a young man who is suffering from the effects of the Great Plague of London. Timetravel story.
    Link: fanfiction.net/s/3642903/1/Auburn_fire
    Link (zip archive of Esama's works): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92776639/Esama.ZIP

I do not really know if this one qualifies for the Library, but it is quite original. As far as I saw, there were no glaring spelling mistakes, grammar seemed alright too. Of course, I am not English, so I could be mistaken.

Checked by Minion, July 26, 2013
    Bulwersator provided a link for an Esama-archiv containing the story.
    If you know where to find another copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  2. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I really like this fic so far. There aren't many Flamel as a teacher fics that I like, but this one just seems different. The plague was a good touch too. Originality is one of the most important things in fanfiction, now that it has been around so long, and this fic has it.

It's worth a read, so far I'll give it a 4/5 for good grammar, writing style, and originality.

3. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Not a bad story. A few errors here an there, but a good read otherwise. 4/5 for me. I like the fact that he lost his memories, and went back to the 1600's (400 years after the Scottish/English battle. Just think of the movie "Braveheart" with Mel Gibson in it). Anyway...good story. I also like the fact that he's not his old self, he at least has some backbone.

Richard.

4. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Why isn't this listed as a Full Metal Alchemist crossover? I remember reading this and finding FMA's "Law of Equivalent Exchange" in this fic.

This is mostly why I didn't really care for the fic as the author decided to take all of his influences of an alchemist there instead of creating his own.

3/5

5. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

It's an interesting story so far. At first it looked like a FMA crossover, but near the end of the last posted chapter it seemed to be pulling away. I'll keep an eye on it just to see where they go with it.

3/5

6. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

It was alright--english is OBVIOUSLY not the author's first language, as the errors are of a different sort from people who just don't understand grammar--until 'Evan' spoke to 'Harry'. Total crap there. Harry saying about how he was a mentally screwed up, borderline bipolar sociopath. What a joke. LAAAAAAME. 2/5

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This.... is hugely interesting in the theories it puts forth, but like someone said, the Law of yadda was from FMA, and a lot of the other "principles" of Alchemy I recognize from other sources.

interesting.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Its quite good, I especially liked the bit where Harry took control of the body, and as I'm not an anime person I don't recognise any of the alchemy stuff. As always though, I do have some quibbles:

1. I don't like the way he's handled the Harry-Evan split.

2. Transmutation. It's just Transfiguration, but much harder work and takes far longer. The point is...?

3. The whole "it's only worth doing if you use your hands" crap. It really is a sucky argument. Evan has decided that transmutation is bad because it is far more efficient than handcrafting things. Hating something because it is efficient=stupid. Also, the whole "wizards don't actually create anything" argument sucked too. Lets take a look at the examples given:

So, the Floo network isn't really an invention because fire already existed; flying brooms aren't really an invention because brooms already existed. So, going by that logic, this statement is completely wrong:

All those inventions use raw materials taken from nature. Just because you use materials to make your invention, doesn't mean that it isn't an invention. So, just as a Muggle takes metal and glass and works it into a telescope, so too a wizard takes a broom and works it into a flying broom.

4. This is more a summary of the previous points than a new thing, but it is my greatest quibble, and that is the authors utter aversion to magic. If I'm reading Harry Potter, I want a story about magic, not a story about how its best not to use it.

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I read a bit of this before losing interest. I guess he's got a split personality of himself inside himself now, but I didn't get that far before I started to skim. Some interesting takes on defining alchemy in JKR's world, but the story, the plot, and the events (from what I can tell) have absolutely nothing to do with anything we know from canon. None of the characters we know are used, just their names for ancestors. And I can't see much of what Evangelos (when I saw that name in the Prologue I almost stopped reading right then) does having significant impact on the wizarding world of "present" time (1981-2000ish). Without any characters, without any effect or reason, I just can't care that much. Flamel's not particularly likable or endearing and this different take on Harry/Evangelos isn't one I feel like rooting for.

The idea of balance and causing plagues makes for an interesting thought, but not necessarily an interesting story (yet). And the way Flamel is just a meek little bitch to the "Wizard's Council" left me wondering why I was even reading the story.

This is very different from most fics. Many original ideas and unique takes. And yet it all comes together uninteresting to me. 3/5 feels too high and 2/5 feels too low, but since I've not even read half of what's posted, I'll refrain from voting. It could become fascinating soon but so far... meh. No thanks.

10. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

After reading the new chapter I'm starting to wonder just where the hell the author is going with this story. Harry's refusal to take back his mind and body because "Evan is better than him" is sad; especially when Evan is a bitch apparently. The fact that, like a few others have said, Evan is pretty much refusing to do magic is just "WTF" worthy. All in all, I'm loosing faith in what seemed to be an interesting idea for a fic.

I'll still give it another chapter to see if the author gets to a damn point soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

11. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ya, I hate the fact that Evan is refusing to do magic. When we read stories about Harry Potter that is wahat we want to see right? This seems like one big angst fest with Harry feeling sorry for himself.

I would never be able to let someone else have control of my body when I could have that power.

The story does have some really interesting concepts though. the bit about the reactiong to the use of the philosophers stone was very well thought out. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction sort of thing.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait to see where this goes.