1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Uric the Oddball and the Wild Hunt by Ariana Deralte - K+

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: Uric the Oddball and the Wild Hunt
    Author: Ariana Deralte
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Humor
    Chapters: 20
    Words: 63,481
    Updated: October 25, 2002
    Published: August 23, 2001

Pairings: None
    Summary: Ever wonder what Hogwarts was like before Dumbledore? Before Dippet? It's 1680 and Uric the Oddball Beaufolle is starting at Hogwarts. New teachers. New students. New problems. Just how much trouble can an eleven year old get into? Plenty. Complete
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/378519/1/

I was looking for some unusual and original fic, as a reprieve from all those clished canon-like stories. This is what I came up with. It's an oldie (2001), but definitely deserves attention, especially considering that this is one of rare fics completely devoid of any clishes at all.

This story describes the first year at Hogwarts of Uric the Oddball, briefly mentioned in PS as a historical fugure from 17th century. His character is practically a smarter and more powerful version of Luna Lovegood. Or if you will, a magical version of one of those 'reclusive crazy genious' kind of kids, who can calculate square root of any 10-digit number in seconds, but have problems with tying their shoelaces together...

This also introduces a bunch of other new characters, most of whom are carefully constructed and nicely incorporated into the plot. In fact, characterisation in general is rather good, especially considering the fact that not even single canon character is used in this story. Not many authors are brave or good enough to try something like this.

There are few downsides as well. Global plot is OK in general, but it's nowhere near the depth of JKR's world. Of course, you can't except of a fan-fictions author to create a backstory as complicated as the one in the canon, but comparation of this story to the PS is unavoidable. Also, many people wouldn't read the story coz it's not Harry-centric... Well, suit yourself, but Uric is also pretty cool character in my book.

Anyway, try this out if you're bored of reading same old clishes over and over again.

Checked by Minion, March 4, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2013
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I found this pretty funny. One of the only stories I'd read without Harry.

3. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE MOST AMAZING STORY I HAVE EVER READ! I urge everyone to read it! :D I swear you will love it!

4. DGD

DGD Headmaster

LMAO.

5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

After reading this fic and what the author has written on the other Ulric centric fics I can safely say that I am now an Ulric the Oddball fan. I find it interesting that of all of the characters in the known HP universe, it is the Lupin's who exist at this time period. I would guess that Remus stems from the Alexander line?

6. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

He(DaytondeusBlack) went back to contemplating his 'kitchenware ruling the earth' theory.

7. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

This story is simply fabulous. I read it and all of the sequels (too bad there aren't more), and must conclude that it's on my top-ten list of favourites. The world needs more people who think like Uric. I haven't since 6th grade.

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Haha, I loved this story. Had me laughing the entire time.