1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Amber Chronicles-Roger Zelazny

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by The-Hyphenated-One, Aug 3, 2007.

1. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I know that a couple of other people besides myself have read and enjoyed the Amber Chronicles, but I was wondering if anyone else has?

It's a great fantasy series, that includes family treachery, epic battles, very good characterization, and some magic as well. I love the idea of the trumps of Amber. The books aren't very long, but they are excellent in my opinion.

Anyone else have any thoughts>?

Here's a ling for those who haven't read it......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber

2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Obviously, I had to pop in on this thread :D.

My user name comes from this series, and I have to say it's one of my favorites by far. Ten books total, all very well written, with a worthy plot and awesome characters. The ideas are original, and well presented.

It's highly recommended by me :D.

One final note: Zelazny died before finishing the series, which is a big downer. Their aren't too many plot threads left untied. It felt finished and conclusive enough, but their were a few things left unsaid. Don't worry about getting that "What the hell happened?" feeling one encounters with abandoned fics though. He died before he could start the next book, which very well could have had a totally new main character (he switched main characters once throughout the series already written).

Anyone who has the time and a close-by book store should definetly look into them!

3. The-Hyphenated-One

Yeah, one of my favorites too. The first five books are centered on Corwin, while the next 5 are on his son Merlin.

4. Rated RKOver

Rated RKOver Second Year

I just bought this series at a local bookshop of mine because I've finally finished my backlog of fantasy books. I've heard nothing but excellent things about this series, so I'm going to start reading it really soon.

5. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

This looks like a really cool series. Thanks for posting about it, I'll have to get this from a library soon.

6. The-Hyphenated-One

Yeah I just started re-reading it for like the 10th time. In all honesty, this is among the best fantasy series out there.

I compare Zelazny to authors like Robert Jordan, Guy Gavriel Kay, and maybe even Herbert.

7. Rated RKOver

Rated RKOver Second Year

When you mention Jordan, I hope you don't mean Zelazny jumps all over the place and has a point of view for all 3000 of his characters. I love Wheel of Time, it's one of my favorite series, but you have to admit that it does get a bit convoluted post Fires of Heaven.

8. LogrusMage

Nah. Only one BIG POV switch, from Corwin to his son. The first four I believe are Corwin and the last 6 are his son.

9. NinjaCow

NinjaCow Guest

I'll definitely think about getting these books... the best part about published books is that they are never simply left unfinished. I can't say the same for some fanfiction...

10. Kyp's Avenger

Kyp's Avenger Fourth Year

Well, I just got "Dawn of Amber" from my stupid local library which didn't even have any of the actual stuff by Zelazny in this series. I'll give it a read and not judge by the different author, though.

11. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

I've read the first 5 books (Nine Princes - Courts of Chaos), but I have yet to delve further. I've read somewhere that the quality drops after these, when the main character switches to Merlin. I take it by all your glowing reviews I was mistaken in this assumption. I might just partake.

12. LogrusMage

Meh, the quality does drop somewhat, but that's more because I'm a Corwin fan :)

The next few books become less about the family politics, more about Chaos vs Order. I liked the Logrus and Merlin's grandfather though, they were awesome.