1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Guilty Pleasure Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Snarf, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While most people here at DLP say that they dislike more of the cliched plot lines and super!Harry or Indy!Harry stories, I find that every once in a while I can sit down and really enjoy one of those pointless 'Elemental!WarMage!UberDestruction!Harry' stories because it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I just wanted a place where everyone can post either stories or their own or another author's stories that could never make it onto DLP because of their cliches, but are truly well writen, 4/5 rated material.

We already have the library for fanfiction that would go over well here at DLP and we have a thread for 'almost' good enough fanfiction, but we don't have a thread for truly well written fanfiction that can be enjoyed, if you can just look past the cliches and other overly-used plot devices.

2. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Well, here's one I always loved despite having every cliché in an Independent!Harry fic ever written. EVER

Loved it

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Ah, that one. The writing ranged from average to slightly above, but I still enjoyed it immensely. I do hold it against the author for devoting time to Black Ascension instead of either of his other stories, Magi Evolution or Silver Eclipse.

One of mine is http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3163246/1/ Bitter Laughter. It's not the best, but I like Mafia!Harry enough to enjoy it. Plus, the Slytherin Council in Hogwarts is an interesting, and criminally underused, concept.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  4. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I think Omni Black updated Magi Evolution in february. But I don't know what happened the author. He stopped uploading anything and still hasn't come. I have the feeling that he won't be returning anytime soon.

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So you want a thread to post stories which are well written but which aren't DLP-Material. Or - in other words - for fics with a few flaws. Well, that's one definition for the 'almost recommended' fanfics.

ip82, who started the thread, listed the fics which should be posted there:

This thread would easily fall within the categories listed above. As that thread is one of the few long-living threads, I suggest to stick to that instead of creating something new for the same.

6. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Dark Minion, you skipped over the most important part of what ip82 wrote.

His thread is to warn people away from stories that are almost good, but turn out to be crap.

This thread is for fics that are genuinely good, but are too derivative to be Library worthy.

7. L.Kezza

L.Kezza Backtraced

I have a similar dark corner of my mind that I occasionaly allow out to read "touch of death, manipulate me and die and I have got some amazing powers but can't kill Riddle" Harry fics
    I havent seen this anywhere on DLP yet so I'll link it here for those who want it
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1091533/1/The_Awakening_of_a_Magus
    I'd score 3.5/5 for grammar and spelling etc.
    If I screwed up in any way let me know and I'll fix it.

8. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

First: [insert standar necro-and-die rant here]. But seriously, isn't this like the 4th thread you've necro'd?

Second: Ye gods, I remember that fic.I think this is actually the original Super!Harry fic. Patient Zero, if you will.

If I remember this correctly, doesn't this have a Harry who is the official most powerful wizard evar, has every animagus form, cures lycanthropy, frees the house-elves, and establishes mental bonds between all the members of the order? And then becomes the Matthew McConaughey of the wizarding world?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I also seem to recall that, while that it a het fic, some idiot liked it so much he went and wrote a slash version with the authors permission.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

...Yeah, that's just weird.