1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What C++ Compiler/Interpreter Program Should I Get?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Fulgar, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Fulgar

Fulgar Second Year

My question is as stated above in the title what kind of C++ compiler/interpreter program should I use for programming? I'm just starting out so if anyone could tell me the basic advantages of each program or if one is easier then the other I would really appreciate it.

2. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

vi + gcc

Most of the IDEs out there do too much hand-holding for somebody who's just starting out.

If you're learning the language for the first time, buy this.

You're welcome.

3. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

You won't get far with a text editor. Keeping classes from overwhelming you is just easier with an IDE.

If you're on windows, I'd actually recommend Visual Studio. Just don't use their "Wizards" for anything. Create an empty project, add a .cpp file, and start coding.

IDEs only hold your hand if you let them.

4. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Totally disagree.

Start out programming in an IDE and you'll be completely lost if you ever need to do things manually, because IDEs do a lot of things behind the scenes when you click the "Compile" button (that's what I was referring to as "hand-holding". Don't even get me started on "wizards"...)

/Write your own Makefile and at least you'll have an idea of what's going on
    //Why spend the money on VS if you're just starting out? Better to save your $100 while you see if the programming thing takes.

-NW

p.s. This book is a nice reference if you haven't used the GNU tools before. (For that matter, O'Reilly books FTW).